Is Grado evolving too slowly?
Sep 1, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #226 of 261
  Grados are nice, particularly as an entry into Head-fi, but I wouldn't recommend spending more than a couple hundred of bucks on a Grado headphone.  I like the GS1000i, but for the price, a used HD800 is much better.

Not going to comment on the LCD-2
evil_smiley.gif

I sold my HD800's after 3 months, technically perfect, or as near as can get, my ears are not so am into Grado...

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #228 of 261
evolution takes time so why should grado be in a rush? they've released the e series anyways so it's not like they're standing still. i like the way grado goes about it.

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #229 of 261
Count me in too, I sold my Senns HD600, and six pairs of Grados, and one kick ***** tatoo later, I never looked back.

I'm just kidding of course, I only have 5 pairs of Grados.

I'm too tired to give my two cents on this right now, so, I'll check back tomorrow.

Good night guys!

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #230 of 261
Count me in as one who thinks Grado does it the right way.

I am a huge fan and I really like how they go about their business.....it may be different....but it is what has worked for them.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #231 of 261
One thing that Grado and some of the other brands that have pro and hobbyist followings do is make the same model for many years, and I think there's a lot to be said for that.  Unless there's a serious deficiency, a long term model can build some loyalty as more reliable info about them is handed around.  Newer, trendier brands are more likely to drop models after a year or two, so they can't ever get that kind of following even if they're good.

As long as they're making money and making in the US, I'm in favor (I'm looking at you, Koss).

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #232 of 261
one thing i don't like about grado's evolution is those protruding drivers

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #233 of 261
I must admit that I have thought long and hard about what I was going to say regarding Grados's hypothetical slow evolution. Of course I realise that because I am the proud owner of the entire 1000 family, (that's the GS/PS/HP,for the newbies among you), I also have the Bushmills X, wich I believe, was a very wise investment, (time will tell). Although I must admit that I did fall in love with it's wonderful sound signature, (eat your hearth out RS1i), after all, they are wooden Grados. Now,I'm sure that many of you see me as a, ''fan and a half'', a mentor, so to speak, that can enlighten you regarding everything pertaining to Grado, and with good reasons, I might add, so I feel I have an obligation to let you know how I, percieve this rather crude, but oh!, so a propos question.

I think that Grados evolution is neither too slow, nor too fast, it is just right.

Now, before you comment on this post, keep in mind that French is my main language, and that I also take high doses of pain medication.

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #234 of 261
  I must admit that I have thought long and hard about what I was going to say regarding Grados's hypothetical slow evolution. Of course I realise that because I am the proud owner of the entire 1000 family, (that's the GS/PS/HP,for the newbies among you), I also have the Bushmills X, wich I believe, was a very wise investment, (time will tell). Although I must admit that I did fall in love with it's wonderful sound signature, (eat your hearth out RS1i), after all, they are wooden Grados. Now,I'm sure that many of you see me as a, ''fan and a half'', a mentor, so to speak, that can enlighten you regarding everything pertaining to Grado, and with good reasons, I might add, so I feel I have an obligation to let you know how 

Well, as I have RS1e , is it worth  the considerable extra to but Gs1000e's?

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #235 of 261
I don't think they are evolving too slowly. They are almost a niche product in that they have such a unique sound. The presentation of the PS1000, for example, is totally different from the LCD3 and HD800, but every bit as good. They also are very easy headphones to drive compared to the other two. The build quality perhaps could use some updating. The German made Sennheiser is a better made product with respect to the construction and materials, but I prefer the sound of the Grado.

I never expected to ever be a Grado fan but now I prefer listening to my PS1000s over my loudspeakers (B&W N804). I feel a lot more emotionally involved than with the LCD3 or HD800 or even my speakers. I would gladly pay more for better build quality but I doubt we will see much better out of their Brooklyn shop.

Sep 10, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #236 of 261
There has been no evolution in audio quality since invention of the dynamic driver in 1937. The only thing that has evolved is the ability of manufacturers to decrease production costs and their marketing schemes that allows them to sell the same technology at steadily increasing price points.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #237 of 261
I think they need to update their foam pads. To me, they really aren't comfortable, at all. Something like my Fidelio or even Ultrasone destroys the PS500 on comfort.

I don't understand how they can make such an incredible sounding headphone, but skimp on such an important component. It's not just me complaining, many reviews I have read mention this problem....

Instead of releasing the i version, then the e version, (choose a letter!), they should find some alternative pads to sell for those unhappy with the comfort of their standard pads.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #238 of 261
As someone who has been into stereo since he was 12 (I am now 60) I thought I would weigh in as neither a hater or lover. I have 25 pair of headphones, but no Grados. I had one of Joe's cartridges years ago and it was great for the money. Why never a Grado? I have always read of the comfort issues, so much so that I have felt (right or wrong) there must be something to it. Another reason is there has NEVER been a good deal on these phones. Now I will be the first to admit (having had a very successful career in consumer products sales and marketing) that pricing and margin can be realistically inflated and deflated. However, anytime I have had the urge to buy new phones, I would find a great deal on  Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, etc. that was many levels up the line in quality/price vs the Grados which were usually close to entry level. Examples are AKG 702s new for $189 or Beyerdynamics DT 990s  new for $145. If my memory serves me well, that would get me Grado 225s about equal in price, but not sound quality. Please jump all over this logic if it is wrong because I am never too old to learn (especially when it comes to audio). I know it is all about the sound, but there is a relationship to M.S.R.P., regular street price and deep discounts. That is what has always kept me away from this brand. Show me an ad for 325s at $150 and I will be all over it. As for the technology piece, I can't comment as I don't know that much about their actual drivers. I can say this. If you showed me a picture of their line 15 years ago compared to today, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Like it or not, our young generation today has shown us that it is NOT just about the sound or Beats would not have had the record success they have had. Quality, historical reputation and technology don't matter much in today's consumable society if you can't somehow catch the eyes/ears of the consumer.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #239 of 261
There has been no evolution in audio quality since invention of the dynamic driver in 1937. The only thing that has evolved is the ability of manufacturers to decrease production costs and their marketing schemes that allows them to sell the same technology at steadily increasing price points.

bollocks

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #240 of 261
But 325e s are arguably better than what you can get discounted from AKG, Beyer or Senn and you will likely have a local dealer that you can get a dem at. Try large cups on a 225 as well. Comfort and sound change enough to question your statement which is always open to personal preference. In fact it would be the most comfortable of the phones you mentioned and a dealer can help with that advertised price. Of course with local service comes more overhead so don't expect much. Being around is part of service. 

From a local brick and mortar dealer, you may be able to get a 325 within $100 of what you can mail order those others for and have what many consider a better phone from someone you can hear it at and expect future support from. I get that price matters but most don't have lots of toys to play with and see this a s a 10 year investment. That's a long time to settle for something you may not like as much for $100 when it involves art appreciation and emotional fulfillment. Don't eat out once or twice.

Most major headphone companies do have offices, service centres and distributors around the world. Grado has great support for those living in NA but customer service abroad isn't better than say, Sony or Audio Technica.

As for comfort, my sr80s never got to the point of being comfortable. They were bearable, but so were my Ety HF5s. The Beyer DT770s definitely wins in the comfort department.

I liked listening to rock on my Grados but they were not very versatile cans (sound sig too polarised) imo. For someone who listens to lotsa different genres, I doubt a Grado will be their choice for a 10-year investment.

I get their >if it aint broke dont fix it< business plan but I would love for them to improve on the little things (ear pads, thinner braided cables, adjusting mechanism).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back