Is Edition8 a limited run product ?
Sep 17, 2009 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
Just read the blurp at HeadRoom's site where they hint such and that the production has already ceased. Is this true and if so how many units were produced ?

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 17
!? As I understood it, Edition 8 is NOT a limited run headphone.

But what does that mean, anyway... Isn't every product limited? heh.

Edit: Upon doing some searches, I am getting mixed signals! I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 17
The Headroom write up:
"The Ultrasone Edition 8 are manufactured in a VERY limited-edition production run which has been completed according to Ultrasone-Germany, meaning no more of these incredible headphones will be made and they'll likely soon be unavailable -- so get yours now!"

I phoned HR - after reading the question about these phones being limited.
George, who writes their website copy, was not in. Expected back tomorrow.
I left a message with the question that is posed here. And the URL of this thread.
There may be a confirmation / clarification tomorrow / soon.

As to the idea that all headphones are limited:
The E 9s were out and available for years. They are now discontinued. Most products are eventually discontinued. Being Limited implies a shorter run than the normal course of product availability.
These phones have just come out.
Could it be that Ultrasone has already stopped their production?
The answer may be important for those of us who have decided we want this ultimate portable can (or whatever it might represent for you) and thought we had plenty of time to put together our savings and wait for a price drop.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 17
i don't buy it.

ultrasone also claimed/strongly suggested that the Ed.9 was limited edition. when pressed on how many were going to made or when production would stop, they either refused to answer or avoided answering. just marketing hype. this is probably the same.

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 17
I dont know about your cashed-up neck of the woods, but here in Oz, the Ed 8 is 'limited' purely by virtue of the fact that they cost more than a pair of HD800s .... more importantly, I can buy 4 killer midrange phones for the cost of an Ed 8, and have money left over for beer and CDs. That alone has to limit sales.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #8 of 17
@estreeter, we're talking about a limit on production. Not sales.
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Ultrasone said before that Edition 8 would not be a limited production run, if they decided to end production at this early a stage I'm guessing it's because they haven't sold nearly as much as they'd like, which means there should still be a lot of Edition 8's on the market. If this is the case, it is unfortunate for those who are waiting for the price to drop because then it'd be impossible for a real flooding of the market with Edition 8's to justify a price decrease by retailers. But again, if this is the case, it also means there should be enough Edition 8's left on the market. I doubt Ultrasone would think it's funny to tell everyone it'd be a unlimited production run and then pull the plug for whatever reason unless there was a real financial reason to do so.

Maybe if Ultrasone kept Northernsound.net things would be different
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 17
Wow didn't know that, thought there was a large supply. I'll change my theory to maybe Ultrasone is going to release Edition 10 if they're discontinuing the Edition 8 already lol.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 17
I my experience, very few high-end products are true "limited editions" in that they are part of a numbered run with a finite ending number. This seems to be a sales tactic reserved for more mid-level products.

However, almost all high-end products are limited run when compared to the more affordable end of the spectrum and the Ed 8, HD800, and PS1000 are no exceptions.

So I would call them limited production but not limited edition. Not that it matters either way.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Ine are serial number 303 so there are at least that many out there

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #14 of 17
Well yes it's pretty mediocre in all areas so i'd guess they'll discontinue it after 1-2 years noticing it not being a big success
wink.gif

ps: "haloxt" beat me to it
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 17
HeadRoom report:
(Email response to my telephone inquiry)
From Jeremy as per Jorge:
Ultrasone has completed their planned first production run of 1000.
HeadRoom has no information about Ultrasone's plans for further production runs.
They are possible. But not certain.
It is entirely up to Ultrasone.
The decision may be a matter of $$$ concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back