Is DT48 any good for portable use/unamped use?
Mar 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I've been interested in these Beyer cans for a while. Right now, I found too good deals, one on a pair of vintage DT48a model and another on a DT48e, which is a newer model if I am not mistaken. My question is - do these cans sound acceptable unamped straight out of a reasonably good DAP, like Sony Walkman or Sansa Clip, or out of a decent onboard soundcard? I do have a MiniBox E+ amp and also AMP3 to feed them some extra juice, but I will be listening unamped at least 50% of the time. I am also planning on using them as portable cans for walking around. Is it doable? Does the DT48 have good isolation for noisy public transport?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice guys

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I've been interested in these Beyer cans for a while. Right now, I found too good deals, one on a pair of vintage DT48a model and another on a DT48e, which is a newer model if I am not mistaken. My question is - do these cans sound acceptable unamped straight out of a reasonably good DAP, like Sony Walkman or Sansa Clip, or out of a decent onboard soundcard? I do have a MiniBox E+ amp and also AMP3 to feed them some extra juice, but I will be listening unamped at least 50% of the time. I am also planning on using them as portable cans for walking around. Is it doable? Does the DT48 have good isolation for noisy public transport?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice guys

They are too bulky for portable use IMO.. & needs better amping to sound their best..They will sound 'good' unamped.. Just ignore the DT48a, & get the DT48e.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 16
I have a Sansa Clip+ and DT-48. I have to turn up the volume to around 90% to get it decently loud. Even my receiver couldn't power the DT48 very well. There will be enough volume, but they can sound thin and conjested without a proper amp. Still enjoyable enough out of a crap laptop, but they deserve an amp.

And yes, they are huge. Not exactly portable. But they wont break because the DT48 is built like a tank. Isolation is 12dB acording to the spec sheet. It can block a fair amount of sound like computer fans and such. But they are no IEM in this regard.

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can block a fair amount of sound like computer fans and such.

I highly doubt that. I run my computer fans run at about 40dba >_>

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt that. I run my computer fans run at about 40dba >_>

I have a laptop, not a gaming rig. I would assume my computer is quieter.

Like the spec sheet says, it isolates about 12dB of noise (under laboratory conditions of course). Nothing special really. But they can isolate some things to a slight muffle, like the sound leaking from the crack of my bedroom door. Or road noise from traffic outside. When music is playing, people have to yell to get my attention unless its a quiet part in the song.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks a lot for your helpful responses guys. I have one more question. I am in a dilemma here: I can't buy the DT48, unless I sell my Ortofon e-Q7 high-end universal IEMs. Now, I do have my cheaper and somewhat less impressive (but still great) sounding Hifiman RE0 to take care of my portable needs. The e-Q7 are very easily driven by all my sources and sound very, very nice. They are around Shure SE530 level of sound quality, perhaps even a little better. My question is: Do you think the DT48 will be able to compete with the e-Q7 if driven unamped or out of my MiniBox E+ or AMP3? Or are the DT48 not worth it, unless I got a really good source and amp? I think I will get the DT48E version.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Thanks a lot for your helpful responses guys. I have one more question. I am in a dilemma here: I can't buy the DT48, unless I sell my Ortofon e-Q7 high-end universal IEMs. Now, I do have my cheaper and somewhat less impressive (but still great) sounding Hifiman RE0 to take care of my portable needs. The e-Q7 are very easily driven by all my sources and sound very, very nice. They are around Shure SE530 level of sound quality, perhaps even a little better. My question is: Do you think the DT48 will be able to compete with the e-Q7 if driven unamped or out of my MiniBox E+ or AMP3? Or are the DT48 not worth it, unless I got a really good source and amp? I think I will get the DT48E version.

You can buy a vintage pair, which are more true to the DT48 then the newer models for around 150 or less.. Never heard the E-q7, but the technical merits of the DT48 are excellent, regardless if people like how it sounds.. The DT48 are easy to drive, but will reveal the faults of your source ruthlessly, & from personal experience, my DT48 sounded much better from a more powerful amp..But will still sound good.. Albeit, you might not find them pleasing to listent to.I assume you like the piano? The DT48 does the piano extremely well IMO, some argue better then much more expensive & acclaimed headphones, but I can't attest to that.. I still don't think the DT48 is ideal for portable use.. Just don't get the a model..

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy a vintage pair, which are more true to the DT48 then the newer models for around 150 or less.. Never heard the E-q7, but the technical merits of the DT48 are excellent, regardless if people like how it sounds.. The DT48 are easy to drive, but will reveal the faults of your source ruthlessly, & from personal experience, my DT48 sounded much better from a more powerful amp..But will still sound good.. Albeit, you might not find them pleasing to listent to.I assume you like the piano? The DT48 does the piano extremely well IMO, some argue better then much more expensive & acclaimed headphones, but I can't attest to that.. I still don't think the DT48 is ideal for portable use.. Just don't get the a model..

So the new DT48e does not represent the DT48 sound that well? What exactly is wrong with the DT48E? Is it still neutral, does it still have great mids and highs? And yes, I really like listening to piano music. One of my favourite musicians is Keiko Matsui if you know her. I am not sure whether I will like a perfectly neutral, 'real' sound or not, but almsot all headphones I've heard so far color the music in some unpleasant way, whether by emphasizing bass, or treble or mids. The most realistic headphone I've heard so far is probably the Fostex T50RP, but it had a somewhat recessed treble for my tastes.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

So the new DT48e does not represent the DT48 sound that well? What exactly is wrong with the DT48E? Is it still neutral, does it still have great mids and highs? And yes, I really like listening to piano music. One of my favourite musicians is Keiko Matsui if you know her. I am not sure whether I will like a perfectly neutral, 'real' sound or not, but almsot all headphones I've heard so far color the music in some unpleasant way, whether by emphasizing bass, or treble or mids. The most realistic headphone I've heard so far is probably the Fostex T50RP, but it had a somewhat recessed treble for my tastes.

The new DT48's are more conventional & sound more like modern headphones..They do 'fix' some of the 'flaws,' ala, more bass & treble extension, highs are less rolled off... But you lose a bit of the DT48 magic that made them so unique.. Yes, the new DT48e models are still neutral, & still mid range centric.. The highs are less rolled off then the older models.. You would really have to hear both to get what I'm saying.. It's hard to express in words..

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new DT48's are more conventional & sound more like modern headphones..They do 'fix' some of the 'flaws,' ala, more bass & treble extension, highs are less rolled off... But you lose a bit of the DT48 magic that made them so unique.. Yes, the new DT48e models are still neutral, & still mid range centric.. The highs are less rolled off then the older models.. You would really have to hear both to get what I'm saying.. It's hard to express in words..

Hmm, are the vintage ones hard to find? I am an impatient type.
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Comparing your other headphones to a DT48 is simply apples and oranges.

Think of it this way: Basically every headphone out there is designed to emulate the sound of good speakers inside a room. This is all fine and dandy as most music is recorded with speakers in mind. The DT-48 are different. They DONT try to emulate speakers in a room. Instead they aim to sound like a headphone, which means they have no 'super bass" earcups, no resonances in the ear cup, no concert hall effects or S-logic, no porting, etcc...

The best way to describe the DT48 is it sounds like a song that is stuck in your head. You hear the tune perfectly, but there is no physical music going into your ears. Its basically like listening to a perfect hologram of the music without the actual physical part vibrating your ears or resonating.

Most other headphones raise bass to increase impact/slam to emulate the vibration of a sub. Not the DT-48. Instead it does bass with very little impact but very very clean and precise. Headphone drivers that are only 40mm in size dont normally have "slam" and thump until you boost the bass around 100hz to help. But this colors the sound.

They are very very neutral with excellent harmonics, speed, timbre accuracy, and resolution. Not everyone likes the sound of a headphone though.... Most people expect a WOW type of powerful sound on first listen. But the DT48 are very plain yet very correct sounding if that makes sense.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing your other headphones to a DT48 is simply apples and oranges.

Think of it this way: Basically every headphone out there is designed to emulate the sound of good speakers inside a room. This is all fine and dandy as most music is recorded with speakers in mind. The DT-48 are different. They DONT try to emulate speakers in a room. Instead they aim to sound like a headphone, which means they have no 'super bass" earcups, no resonances in the ear cup, no concert hall effects or S-logic, no porting, etcc...

The best way to describe the DT48 is it sounds like a song that is stuck in your head. You hear the tune perfectly, but there is no physical music going into your ears. Its basically like listening to a perfect hologram of the music without the actual physical part vibrating your ears or resonating.

Most other headphones raise bass to increase impact/slam to emulate the vibration of a sub. Not the DT-48. Instead it does bass with very little impact but very very clean and precise. Headphone drivers that are only 40mm in size dont normally have "slam" and thump until you boost the bass around 100hz to help. But this colors the sound.

They are very very neutral with excellent harmonics, speed, timbre accuracy, and resolution. Not everyone likes the sound of a headphone though.... Most people expect a WOW type of powerful sound on first listen. But the DT48 are very plain yet very correct sounding if that makes sense.

Extremely well said. How old are you again? Just to add to the wonderful post, the DT48 is unconventional & very unique, no headphone is like it. This is a fact, not a opinion. Doesn't mean it's good or bad. it does, what a lot of audiophiles & manufacturers would call wrong, lacking in good sense, or odd. Again, think back to 1937, what headphone standards were there? They were the first ones. 2 channel was the king in those days, & they made a headphone strictly for left to right listening. They wanted to emphasis the musical experience & nothing else.. I'm sure the engineers would have snubbed the idea, if they were told they needed to make the DT48 have a larger then life SS to replicate a speaker system. I'm sure they would just say.. Then buy speakers..
biggrin.gif
Things were much simpler & less complicated in those days
icon10.gif
In this day & age this doesn't work.. People want a headphone that sounds like a speaker system in terms of depth & spaciousness.. & degrade headphones that have characteristics of, a, ummmm.. Headphone. which is a oxymoron IMO.

Think of Roy Jones JR as a IE.. He is very unconventional, & does things trainers teach you not to do.. Leading with a hook instead of a jab, among other things..But he gets away with it cause of his athleticism. The DT48 gets away with it too in the audible sense.. Maybe sounding like a headphone isn't so bad & actually has benefits.. Maybe having highs, bass, treble, on steroids isn't the ultimate listening experience. & people wonder why most headphones have recessed mids.. Cause they 'get in the way' of the bigger picture.

In the end, the DT48 are 'bland', 'not fun'. They are the plain Jane next door. The girl who never gets asked to the dance, & the guy that never got in with the cool kids in HS..But for that same reason, I love them..

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Great posts guys. Thanks for the help. Searching for a vintage DT48 now...
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Great posts guys. Thanks for the help. Searching for a vintage DT48 now...
biggrin.gif

Good luck. After spending a grand on my 83SE I can't horde all the DT48's that I used to for a couple months.. And my next goal is the HD800 and Auditor.. That will end my journey, and I'll never come here again. I still need the 200 ohm DT48 though.. They been evading me for 2 yrs now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back