Is Bowers & Wilkins P5 worth to buy?
Aug 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DaemonHunter

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!  When I first saw B & W P5 in Apple Store, I fell in love with it for its design. However, I am not sure whether it is worth to buy. In general, I use ipod classic, and listen to music like Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Enrique Iglesias,Laura Pausini and other pop stars. Also I listen to classic music as well.

How is P5, compared to Bose QC 5, especially in sound quality?

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 11
i heard them in the apple store when they were first released, and i like them alot. these for me are the most comfortable headphones i have ever worn, the build is fantastic and they isolate you from the outside world really well, i couldnt heard people even in a very busy apple store. They're designed to be used with portable players so work great un amped out of an iphone. There are much better choices for that price if you want simply the best sound for your money, but as an overall package for portable players i think they are very good.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
i heard them in the apple store when they were first released, and i like them alot. these for me are the most comfortable headphones i have ever worn, the build is fantastic and they isolate you from the outside world really well, i couldnt heard people even in a very busy apple store. They're designed to be used with portable players so work great un amped out of an iphone. There are much better choices for that price if you want simply the best sound for your money, but as an overall package for portable players i think they are very good.
Thanks for your reply. Since you mentioned that there are much better choices for that price, can you recommend some that are better than P5? By the way, what do u think about BOSE QC5

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 11
If you listen to pop music and can sacrifice a little fidelity for superieur comfort, isolation, and looks, the P5 is a great choice. Not sure about a QC 5, but I think the P5 were far better than the QC 15 I tried.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 11
The P5 beat any Bose in my opinion but i dont like the bose sound so im a bit biased. Other recommendations really depend on what you are looking for, do you need isolation do they need to be easily portable whats your sound preferences?

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 11
The P5 is a $300 'phone with $300 looks, isolation, and build quality but with $200 sound.
It's not bad but it sounds like there is a veil over the music.  They're good for portables but I wouldn't try doing any critical listening on them.  I find myself reaching for my MTPGs more often.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Decent build but unremarkable sound.  I quickly returned them.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I used them for about 2 months last year.

They're very good looking.
They're very portable.
They're very comfortable.
They're very well-made.

But they are very expensive.
And they have a veiled, muffled sound, reminiscent of very good ~$100 headphones.

You have to decide from that if they're right for you.

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Just because a headphone is not "clear" or "detailed" doesn't mean that it isn't high quality, and just because a headphone is "clear" or "detailed" doesn't meant it is of high quality.  The Bowers and Wilkins p5 has a distinct character in it's sound that is lush and almost analogue in sound.  It makes everything sound rich and full bodied in a very pleasing way.  While it isn't the last word in detail or transparency, it does quite well in this department without sounding etched or too bright in the treble.  Also, it plays with great robustness and vigour without any amplification.  I can't really think of any headphone besides maybe a Grado RS-1 that has such qualities - However, the RS-1's can be quite bright and fatiguing without proper tube amplification.  I think it is very silly to say that the P5's have the clarity of a sub 100 dollar headphone.  I own many sub 100 dollar headphones, none of which have half the detail retrieval or any of the charm or character that the P5's impart on the listener.  These are very quality headphones that get the music right and just plain sound good.  They are NOT for AUDIOPHILES or those who lover their gear more than they love music.  They are strictly for MUSIC LOVERS.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Headfonia.com has put it in its recommendations. You can have a look at their review.

Quote:
Hi guys!  When I first saw B & W P5 in Apple Store, I fell in love with it for its design. However, I am not sure whether it is worth to buy. In general, I use ipod classic, and listen to music like Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Enrique Iglesias,Laura Pausini and other pop stars. Also I listen to classic music as well.

How is P5, compared to Bose QC 5, especially in sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back