Is B&W P5 worth it?
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #16 of 65
frankly speaking, I think B&W P5 is a good device mount for protable equipment, such like iphone 1 ~ 5 gen,Ipod classic etc,and a protable amp. won't be neccessary!

if you check out the specifications about it, you may find out it is perfect match for ipod output! It's resisitance only 26ohms,snesitivity 120db/v.

But I face some terrible quality problem about it ! My P5 spontaneously dehiscence a gap on its aluminum-body!

you can check my thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/655632/a-terrible-quality-of-bowers-wilkins-p5-headphone#post_9261955

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 65
Re the P5, if I don't care about looks, but I do care about passive isolation, and good sound, is there anything that is significantly better than the P5 at any price within a few hundred dollars up or down?

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #18 of 65
  Re the P5, if I don't care about looks, but I do care about passive isolation, and good sound, is there anything that is significantly better than the P5 at any price within a few hundred dollars up or down?

Sennheiser Momoentum
Bang & Olufsen H6
PSB M4U1
Sony MDR R1
Focal Spirit One
KEF M500

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #19 of 65
V-MODA M-100 or the Sennheiser Momentum will be my top picks, as the P5 really is on ear and has pretty poor isolation.  The B&O H6 has EXTREMELY lean bass, sounds good for the mids and highs, but just not balance at all.  The Sony MDR-1R has very good isolation and score top in comfort, but the sound is not as good as the other listed.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #20 of 65
  V-MODA M-100 or the Sennheiser Momentum will be my top picks, as the P5 really is on ear and has pretty poor isolation.  The B&O H6 has EXTREMELY lean bass, sounds good for the mids and highs, but just not balance at all.  The Sony MDR-1R has very good isolation and score top in comfort, but the sound is not as good as the other listed.

I didn't feel that the bass was lacking at all. I was comparing against my Momentum which many have also described as 'bass heavy' and 'boomy'. 
Oh well... everyone really does hear differently I guess.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #21 of 65
  I didn't feel that the bass was lacking at all. I was comparing against my Momentum which many have also described as 'bass heavy' and 'boomy'.
Oh well... everyone really does hear differently I guess.

I am 100% not a bass head, but when you amp and EQ the crap out of the H6 and still only getting very mild bass, something is not right.  The Momentum is really not bass heavy at all, as it doesn't have a very strong sub bass.  But the reason why people think it is bassy is because it has a very focused bass that could feel rather strong at times.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 65
The sound could be better but they're a really nice pair aesthetically. Used pairs go for about $200 so check that out.
Though with the momentum now... I'd probably go momentum over P5.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #23 of 65
I got my wife the P5 for Christmas for her ipod and gave them a listen. Good casual phone with comfort. Not in the same league as reference cans but we got them on sale for like $220 off Ebay and she liked their sound and comfort in the Apple store. They aren't the last word in resolution and has no strong points but I do have a positive view of them. I tried to get her to use the RS-1s but they weren't as comfortable (and they were used:rolleyes:). I had her try the K-701(my first pair of quality hps) with a portable amp but was too cumbersome so I sold them. I think she just wanted her own (new) pair.

For an alternative, the JVC HA-S500 sounds pretty nice for the price.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #24 of 65
The KEF M500 should be on your list. The isolation isn't the best compared to IEMs or over the ear phones but the quality of the sound makes it a very viable option in the price range you're looking at. Nothing is overdone, pretty balanced. Quality bass that has some punch. Mids are very nice as well as the treble.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #26 of 65
  I listened to both the P3 and the P5 in an Apple Store today and the P3 was obviously better.

How on earth can that be true...?

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #27 of 65
  I listened to both the P3 and the P5 in an Apple Store today and the P3 was obviously better.

blink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #28 of 65
How on earth can that be true...?

I have the P3, it's really warm, and the treble are kinda recessed, however, it's a good alternative heahone, very relaxing listening after work, no fatigue at all. Depends what you are looking for. I find the P5 not as relaxing but technically better which wasn't what I wanted, I have the t1, he500 and th900 for all the details

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #29 of 65
I have the P3, it's really warm, and the treble are kinda recessed, however, it's a good alternative heahone, very relaxing listening after work, no fatigue at all. Depends what you are looking for. I find the P5 not as relaxing but technically better which wasn't what I wanted, I have the t1, he500 and th900 for all the details

And at no point did you feel ripped off by the lack of resolution on such a relatively pricey headphone?

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 65
And at no point did you feel ripped off by the lack of resolution on such a relatively pricey headphone?

I don't find it lacking in resolution, but listening to p3, it's kinda like listening through a certain filter, and I like that a lot, it's different from what else I have. I don't really know what to compare it with since its the cheapest headphone I have after I sold my ae2 and w4r, I think it's priced right, not expensive but also not a bargain. There are of course headphones priced similar with higher resolution, but if you prefer that, then you shouldn't be looking at p3, probably like m50 or something, I don't really know this segment. P3 also works great unamped.

This is an expensive hoppy haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back