Is a DAC necessary?
Mar 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #16 of 29

There's no hard and fast rules about how much you should spend on this versus that. Later on, you can worry more about synergies and how well your particular gear matches. For now, an amp with enough power to run your chosen headphone to a loud enough volume should be sufficient.

I've always found that the headphone is the most important part, the link in the audio chain that makes the biggest difference and can vary the most from headphone to headphone. The amp comes next, then the DAC.

You should be able to tell a difference between plugging your headphones directly into a computer's headphone out, for example, and listening to it from a decent amp. The same should be true when you add a dedicated DAC to the mix.

For now, you'd do well to pay attention to "best bang for your buck" gear (of which Schiit gear is a good representation). So, yeah, start with the Magni 2 and grab whatever headphones grabs your attention.

Agree with this. I started my journey with just the AKGs without DAC or AMP upgrades. Then comes the Asgard 2 amp which made the biggest improvement in the sound sound signature became musical rather than flat and boring . Then I started to buy the Bifrost Multibit and the effect is cleaner, more detailed etc, but it didn't change the sound signature of the K712s unlike the Asgard 2.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #17 of 29
  When I was researching amps I considered the e09k but settled on the Micca Origen.  I don't regret it.  It is small, powerful, sounds good, and, most importantly, has powered everything I have plugged into it.

the micca is a little gem for sure, if i was in the US i would have gotten it over my current objective2 + odac for price alone

edit: do they drive 650's tho?

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 29
I highly recommend the Micca Origen. It's an amazing little device that sounds great, and powers everything I have. (However, that isn't much.) Sadly, I ripped the USB Port off of mine. I still need to fix that. It's gonna be really hard. 
frown.gif

Edit: They'd probably power the 650s. It gets pretty loud on my HE-400i's. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 29
  The 650's do need an amp and they perform better with higher quality amps. Although quality increases with price tags, it's not an even ratio. Diminishing returns set in quickly, so spending twice as much will not get you something twice as good.

To answer your main question, a DAC is always going to be in your signal path, if you are listening to digital music. You can't get away from one, unless you go analog (AKA a turntable). Your question is really: "is a DAC upgrade necessary?"

Since the most common audio source hardware (computers and phones) tend to use the cheapest components possible, upgrading to an outboard DAC is usually a good upgrade. How worthwhile it is will be up to you, your ears and your equipment.

Assuming that you are going to be using a line-out jack to connect to your amp, you can certainly save the DAC upgrade for later. If you're new to the headphone hobby, I'd suggest upgrading slowly, piece by piece. You'll probably end up with a better sense of the subtleties between different pieces of gear and music. You'll basically train your ears to listen better.

As for the difference between the 600 and 650, it's best to audition both and let your ears decide. Barring that, you'll have to read about what other people say about them and how they reproduce different kinds of music and make an educated guess.

Hate to disagree, but hey, tell me again why I need a DAC? Particularly on an iPhone. There is no hard and fast rule as to whether you need a DAC or not, you need to look at the frequency response curve that your output device produces.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #21 of 29

Hate to disagree, but hey, tell me again why I need a DAC? Particularly on an iPhone. There is no hard and fast rule as to whether you need a DAC or not, you need to look at the frequency response curve that your output device produces.

Frequency response is just one of many possible measurements for DACs and Amplifiers, and different measurement rigs can yield slightly different results in some cases.
More characteristics can be measured and are well understood by the scientific comunity.
Some subtle differences are often more tricky to expose on typical measurements and need further studies.

A DAC is always needed to play digital files. An external DAC is not needed, but it could be a good addition if happen to hear (and enjoy) the difference.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 29
A DAC is always needed yes, but you're not offering any other answer then shiny marketing snake oil as to why sometimes and more often in modern devices its not. That says to me you know what?

"A DAC is needed because a DAC is needed and I have no other reason of saying a DAC is needed because everyone else has told me a DAC is needed and I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Until such time that you elaborate your views further that's exactly what I'm going to think. Provide me with some objective evidence that the average device today actually has a poor DAC and we'll come back and talk about this. Otherwise you're just another snake oil marketing clown trying to get people to buy things unescessarily. Frequency response is about as objective as it gets, this measures the natural response of the iPhone and what it does, you will see the ruler flat response rate, what that means if you understand how to read it, which I'm doubting at this point, is that what you will get before plugging headphones in is a perfectly equal response between lows, mids and highs. I'm assuming at least some knowledge of what sound does, and looks like when its measured here.

What you get by adding a DAC in line is an unknown, you might enjoy the flavor it adds, but objective, it may even lead to a remarkable degradation in both frequency response and SQ because you believe some snake oil nonsense from marketing companies for these DACs on these websites telling you that you need a DAC... because it makes "things sound awesome" when you objectively don't understand what those "things" are.

And so we have the current state of Head Fi, people spending hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on things that might not make any difference, or in fact might make the sound they're listening to worse. Of course this is Head-Fi so this type of response quickly gets corralled as per usual and closed down because of the sponsors that be here... People buy things they don't need and the cycle continues of people buying expensive things that objectively add nothing to their sound stage, or in some, if not many cases, degrade it. Unfortunately you can't help some people though.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 29
  A DAC is always needed yes, but you're not offering any other answer then shiny marketing snake oil as to why sometimes and more often in modern devices its not. That says to me you know what?

"A DAC is needed because a DAC is needed and I have no other reason of saying a DAC is needed because everyone else has told me a DAC is needed and I have no idea what I'm talking about."

Until such time that you elaborate your views further that's exactly what I'm going to think. Provide me with some objective evidence that the average device today actually has a poor DAC and we'll come back and talk about this. Otherwise you're just another snake oil marketing clown trying to get people to buy things unescessarily. Frequency response is about as objective as it gets, this measures the natural response of the iPhone and what it does, you will see the ruler flat response rate, what that means if you understand how to read it, which I'm doubting at this point, is that what you will get before plugging headphones in is a perfectly equal response between lows, mids and highs. I'm assuming at least some knowledge of what sound does, and looks like when its measured here.

What you get by adding a DAC in line is an unknown, you might enjoy the flavor it adds, but objective, it may even lead to a remarkable degradation in both frequency response and SQ because you believe some snake oil nonsense from marketing companies for these DACs on these websites telling you that you need a DAC... because it makes "things sound awesome" when you objectively don't understand what those "things" are.

And so we have the current state of Head Fi, people spending hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on things that might not make any difference, or in fact might make the sound they're listening to worse. Of course this is Head-Fi so this type of response quickly gets corralled as per usual and closed down because of the sponsors that be here... People buy things they don't need and the cycle continues of people buying expensive things that objectively add nothing to their sound stage, or in some, if not many cases, degrade it. Unfortunately you can't help some people though.

Well, I've studied physics at university, I've measured plenty of headphones and other electronic devices including amplifiers, and amplifiers coupled with DACs in the past. I've heard many different setups, including turntable setups and speaker setups. I've made blind testing many times. I've been at concert halls many times, rock shows, hundred coral concerts, and I've listened to music critically for hours a day since at least ten years ago. On top of that, I normally spend some time a day here helping newcomers, 90% of my 3300 posts here took place on the Recommendation forum and you can check them, you'll find math formulas on a bunch of them. Beside Head-Fi, you can find me on much more technical forums as well.

If that's your definition of a clown, then yep, I'm a clown.

This is what I've said:
 A DAC is always needed to play digital files. An external DAC is not needed, but it could be a good addition if happen to hear (and enjoy) the difference.

You can use your phone and that's perfectly fine since it has a built in DAC then it works. If you have a chance to try a separate DAC then why not...
As I've said, I had the chance to try a lot of DACs and Amps and also measure some of them, and they don't sound the same, even when most of them measure perfectly flat.
There are other factors involved such as harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, jitter; USB receivers on DACs can make a slight difference, power supplies can make a slight difference. and so on...

Sometimes the typical measurements (FR/THD/IMD) can point out these subtle differences and sometimes don't. Sometimes you have to find out a proper test to expose why certain DAC is perceived as warmer than the other despite measuring very much alike. Part of the complexity comes from the fact that our hearing involves our brain which is an extremely complex device that's not fully understood. On top of that we can only do blind testing or sighted comparisons and both depend strongly on our memory so they are not that great either.

I think we are a bit laggy with regards to measuring very subtle audible differences on DACs and Amps, and to a lesser extent headphones and speakers.
I'm normally the one who's pushing experiments to get a better understanding of what we hear, and that's why I enjoy technical forums.
Feel free to join more technical forums and start measuring things yourself and develop new techniques as well. That's much more useful and enlighting than doing nothing more than comparing FR charts.

It's true that people often pay thousands of dollars for things that could be priced 200usd, or even 20 in some cases. But it's also true that today there's plenty of affordable yet properly engineered gear costing less than 100usd, adding functionalities and lasting many years. More so, you can get most of these devices, use it for a week or two, decide if you enjoy it or not, and then resell it if you feel the need, and that would probably cost you 20usd if not less.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #24 of 29
  fiio e09k would be a good option as amp too, might be cheapest

For HD6x0? Not really, at all. You'd get them good and loud, but they'd sound like hammered crap. The 80mW/600 Ohms would totally gut the bass. Also, isn't e09k discontinued, anyway?

HD6x0 are great value, but don't really do so well with low-powered (and thus often cheap) amps. People hear them go good and loud, and assume that they're being driven properly- that's not their final form. Plug them into something with more power so the frequency response doesn't sag, and they sound great. There's a reason why people with excessively pricey amps often keep their 6x0 around when they have far more expensive headphones in their collections.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 29

For HD6x0? Not really, at all. You'd get them good and loud, but they'd sound like hammered crap. The 80mW/600 Ohms would totally gut the bass. Also, isn't e09k discontinued, anyway?

HD6x0 are great value, but don't really do so well with low-powered (and thus often cheap) amps. People hear them go good and loud, and assume that they're being driven properly- that's not their final form. Plug them into something with more power so the frequency response doesn't sag, and they sound great. There's a reason why people with excessively pricey amps often keep their 6x0 around when they have far more expensive headphones in their collections.

The reason is HD6x0 is a resolving headphone and thus it can reveal slight differences among quality amplifiers, not because it needs a lot of power.
It needs very little power indeed.

E09K was replaced by K5, both work just fine with HD6x0 with plenty of headroom.
K5 is better overall. Both are classic SS amplifiers with classic neutral SS sound signature.

Tube amplifiers with high output impedance tweak HD6x0's sound and make it fuller and softer in the upper midrange, many people prefer this combination and that's fine.

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #26 of 29
Let's get back to the original question. Of course you need a DAC if you are listening to digital source music. Otherwise it's gonna sound REALLY bad!
The thing is, DAC's are all around us. They are in every CD player, and in every sound card, as well as in every phone. Better ones cost more money, only you can answer if it's worth it or not. I definitely think it is.

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 29

The reason is HD6x0 is a resolving headphone and thus it can reveal slight differences among quality amplifiers, not because it needs a lot of power.
It needs very little power indeed.

Couldn't be more wrong.  You can get it good and loud with a puny amp, but that's not the same as driving it well.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 29
  Couldn't be more wrong.  You can get it good and loud with a puny amp, but that's not the same as driving it well.

The Sennheiser HD600 needs 0.23 Vrms for 90dB @ 1kHz (more sensitive than most other headphones that are relatively hard to drive)
Being a high impedance headphone it drains very little amount of current from the amplifier so it's an easy load.
More so, being a high impedance headphone damping factor is pretty good most of the times, then most amplifiers can exhert good control over HD6x0 drivers and preserve its frequency response.

I've had the HD600 and still have the HD650, I've tried them with many amplifiers.
Driving it well means driving it with an amplifier which has enough voltage, low distortion, and flat frequency response.
The rest is mostly a matter of preference. I've tried mine with powerful amplifiers that didn't make a good match and also tried them with low powered amplifiers that made a great match.
As I've said before, there are some differences among amplifiers' sound and you might prefer one over the other, but power has nothing to do with it.

A dynamic driver is a pretty simple device where power is tied to volume, more power = more volume.
20mW @ 300 Ohm is for most practical (relatively healthy) purposes all you'll ever need for HD6x0.

A top class amplifier like the Schiit Ragnarok will sound better than a smartphone, that's granted, and you don't need to crank the volume up to 100mW (exposing your hearing to permanent damage, and causing over-excursion to the HD6x0 drivers) to realize it sounds better.

Driving a headphone is not about power most of the times, it's about clarity and proper matching.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 29

A top class amplifier like the Schiit Ragnarok will sound better than a smartphone, that's granted, and you don't need to crank the volume up to 100mW (exposing your hearing to permanent damage, and causing over-excursion to the HD6x0 drivers) to realize it sounds better.

Driving a headphone is not about power most of the times, it's about clarity and proper matching.

That's rather the point.

(Regarding volume, I have a fairly good handle on that, during the work day, I keep an active Glensound limiter calibrated for my headphones, set to 75dB, and find the volume irritating long before I get anywhere near it. I'm willing to bet that I spend more time nagging people to use hearing protection than most, too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back