iRiver U10 -- how is the sound?
Feb 16, 2006 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

D555

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

How is the sound of the iRiver U10? It seems to have a strong 18mw per channel output.

Any pros and cons to this player? The screen looked nice.

Paul

May 13, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 24
as oppose to making a new thread, ill just bump this old one.

How come there isnt that much interest in the u10 around here would be a better question probably.
confused.gif

May 13, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeru
How come there isnt that much interest in the u10 around here would be a better question probably.
confused.gif

Although it looks cool, it's somewhat big (relatively) and $$$.

May 13, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Although it looks cool, it's somewhat big (relatively) and $$$.

BIG?????

the only way i would see it as big is compared to the nano, but that thing is ridicously small.

iriveru102ex21lk.jpg

iriv1163qj.jpg

iriv1012gw.jpg

30600000000491724ax.jpg

I do agree with the $ thing though, I am in the middle of getting a 1 gig u10 for about $100, but I do believe that the price will drop when the new Clix or whatever else is introduced and then it will be more attractive price-wise.

I guess I just found it a bit odd that the sound quality on this little thing hasnt been truly discussed in more than 1 thread. Ill see what I can do if this deal goes through.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for your input.

May 13, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 24
its big compared to almost all other flash players, but only because of that huge screen. why put such a huge screen on a device with only 1GB of storage? its not like you're going to be watching a movie. seems to have some pretty cool games, though. once the clix comes out at around the same price as the 2GB nano, it will look a little better. until then, i don't know why anyone would buy one unless they got a killer deal (which you did).

it also scored very poorly on cnets objective audio quality test
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-1.html

but its open to debate how that plays out in the real world.

May 13, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 24
I wouldnt pay too much attention to cnets tests, they dont really explain the results very well and how they effect the quality of sound output by these players.
I have a iriver u10 and i would say that the sound quality is good - enjoyable and punchy, better than my nano which sounds dull in comparison. It also has a very good range of equalizer options from full 5 band to SRS (i dont understand why anyone would use SRS?).
I think the 2gb U10 is a great media player , the most "fun" mp3 i have had.

May 13, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 24
doesn't the U10 have SRS WOW 2? checking iriver America's site there is a shadowy image of the clix which many people believe will be 2GB and be priced at $200. we'll just have to wait and see, that teaser was just put up today

May 13, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
its big compared to almost all other flash players, but only because of that huge screen. why put such a huge screen on a device with only 1GB of storage? its not like you're going to be watching a movie. seems to have some pretty cool games, though. once the clix comes out at around the same price as the 2GB nano, it will look a little better. until then, i don't know why anyone would buy one unless they got a killer deal (which you did).

it also scored very poorly on cnets objective audio quality test
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-1.html

but its open to debate how that plays out in the real world.

Extract from PCMag:

"Our lab testing showed that the U10's frequency response is very flat, which means it is capable of reproducing sound with a high degree of accuracy. It also showed remarkably little distortion even at top volume."

So whose test should we trust?
confused.gif

Well, I trust my ears
580smile.gif

May 13, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianadam888
Extract from PCMag:

"Our lab testing showed that the U10's frequency response is very flat, which means it is capable of reproducing sound with a high degree of accuracy. It also showed remarkably little distortion even at top volume."

So whose test should we trust?
confused.gif

Well, I trust my ears
580smile.gif

Trust PCMAG, this is my U10 looped back to pc playing mp3 256 of white noise, as you can see (attached) flat frequency response up to 19hz as expected.
CNET suck..

May 13, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown
doesn't the U10 have SRS WOW 2?

yeah . . . srs wow isn't really uh . . . listenable for the most part.

May 13, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 24
Since that first post I purchased a 1GIG version and have had it for a couple of months.

I think U10 sounds very good. The only slight issue is a bit unsteady sounding bass when the lowest EQ frequency is boosted to the top. I'm not a big fan of SRS as it damages the stereo separation but the SRS does seem to work well for what it does. Audio output is quite strong -- those used to 5mw or less will be quite pleased, I believe.

The U10 can easily hold a two hour movie and about 100 high bit rate (~225 LAME) songs.

As far as size goes -- non issue for me. It has a small case that fits like a glove and it *easily* fits in a pocket.

The FM has very, very good reception.

The screen is beautiful -- great viewing angles and *sharp*.

Using the iRiverter tool results in super-looking colorful movies converted from DVD. The only catch is that it is 15fps. I can live with it -- this isn't high definition.

Even some of the flash games are fun. The iriveramerica has a very limted selection but iriver korea has many, many games.

I am very happy with the purchase of the U10 and am keeping it.

Paul

May 15, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanster
So is the Clix the exact same as the U10 except for the capacity? They look pretty similar?

I believe its a different UI (it looka like it has album art, not sure but that would be cool) and they made the price $199 for the 2gb to compete with the 2gb ipod nano.

what i do wonder is if firmware support will completly stop for the u10 (its known to be considerably slower than the UMS version of the player)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back