Ipod speaker
Oct 15, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so the old lady has this horrible horrible mono speaker thingy that is the size of a soft ball that runs unpowered from her ipod touch. She uses it while studying, gardening,annoying.

Is there something simple i can make thats about the same size That would sound decent other then the lows? I was thinking maybe this mounted on a piece of alum bent at a 45 so it looks nice to her:

Parts-Express.com:*Tang Band W2-803SM 2" Driver | full range driver 2" woofer extended range driver tang band tb speakers

The only problem is its 4ohm so im not sure if it will work. However last time i checked ipod headphone outs were cap coupled so should I even worry? Worse case is it really rolls off the lows, which would be nice since i wouldnt have to make a lowpass 200hz cross over.

Also since its a single speaker, could i just solder ring and tip together?

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 6
The reason it sounds so bad is that you 'need' an amp to drive a decent speaker.
You can get active 'multimedia' speakers, some quite cheap, that are normally used for PC's, that have a bit more umph! Spend a bit more and you'll get a woofer with it!
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 6
For about US$30 the Altec Lansing iM237 powered speaker is pretty good-sounding at moderate volumes. Batteries (3xAAA) seem to last an insanely long time, too. Comes with a little travel case. It's actually remarkably good, for this sort of little speaker.

Note: the older and cheaper Altec Lansing iM207 is not nearly as good.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 6
She already has a multimedia station with a T-amp in it. She needs something she can just walk around with and plop down on the edge of the chair or next the candles, hot glue gun, while arranging junk. The Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit might fly, but then i got 3 AAA (wii uses AA) and a on off switch...

This is a person with stock ear buds, this speaker thingy for $5 at marks, and a $300 ipod touch. The speaker thingy gets loud enough but it sounds like crap. I thought i could make a very small speaker for her with no lows that wouldnt sound like this distorted tweeter thing.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She already has a multimedia station with a T-amp in it. She needs something she can just walk around with and plop down on the edge of the chair or next the candles, hot glue gun, while arranging junk. The Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit might fly, but then i got 3 AAA (wii uses AA) and a on off switch...

This is a person with stock ear buds, this speaker thingy for $5 at marks, and a $300 ipod touch. The speaker thingy gets loud enough but it sounds like crap. I thought i could make a very small speaker for her with no lows that wouldnt sound like this distorted tweeter thing.

Problem is you wouldn't be able to drive lower frequencies with 1.5>2V at limited current, so it will always sound tinny. You can get t-amps into a very small package (2"x1"x1") so the amp wont increase the size of the package that much anyway.

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Altec Lansing iM-237 Orbit might fly, but then i got 3 AAA (wii uses AA) and a on off switch...

I hear you on that. All I can say is that the AAA's really do last a long time. And there's some kind of power-saving auto-off circuitry - it takes a second to wake up if you've let your source go silent long enough, and I've left it on overnight without running down the batteries. Agreed it's not a perfect solution but in my experience it's a pretty non-bad one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back