Ipod Shuffle 3rd Generation
Apr 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ThePandemonium

100+ Head-Fier
So I got a Ipod Shuffle 3rd Gen for my birthday and I am very excited about it. I have been a huge fan of the Ipod Shuffles ever since the first one, and I've had everyone of them so far. I really love the concept of this new one, but were they seriously stupid when they were thinking of incorporating the controls in to the headphones? Does anyone know when they are going to to come out with an attachment so I can use any heaphones?

I am very tempted just to buy the Dual Driver Apple IEM's, but I really just want to wait for an attachement. And to anyone who has tried them, do you think the controls are wayy to high on the headphones? I think it would be better if it was at the Y-junction of the cable, but thats just me.

Apr 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 14
I've had mine for a few weeks now and use it nearly every day. I was tempted to get the dual driver buds as well but they cost nearly as much as the player and although its a fantastic little device, its never going to be an audiophile player no matter what headphones you use with it.

I don't mind the placement of the controls were they are, they are really easy to find while running, any lower and you would have to look for them as opposed to just reaching below you ear.

Just my 2 cents
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind the placement of the controls were they are, they are really easy to find while running, any lower and you would have to look for them as opposed to just reaching below you ear.

But how easy are they to use?
wink.gif

I've been doing experiments with my Clip and Nano yesterday and today over 24km, and will soon add a 2G shuffle to the mix. Based on that I would hate to imagine how blinking lights would be like to use in the heat of sport

Saying all of that, I would imagine 9/10 people would select album or playlist and hit play, and not worry about their player until the end of the workout

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how easy are they to use?

Very
biggrin.gif

IMO far too many people have got hung up unnecessarily, about the controls being moved onto the headphone cable. At the end of the day its just 3 little buttons we are taking about.

They are completely missing the point that apple have managed to cram everything needed into a tiny remote and placed it just below your right ear where they are easily accessible. Combined with voice over, gapless playback and the abilty to play lossless files, it truly is a ground breaking dap.

You really should give one a go for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 14
There have been mp3 players with no controls on the player before. This is just cool because it is tiny. Not that its for me because i like listening to entire albums at a time, but it would be interesting to use one for a while.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 14
the only problem that i have with the shuffle is just the inability to use your own headphones / iems for it without losing the ability to control volume playback etc.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Very
biggrin.gif

IMO far too many people have got hung up unnecessarily, about the controls being moved onto the headphone cable. At the end of the day its just 3 little buttons we are taking about.

They are completely missing the point that apple have managed to cram everything needed into a tiny remote and placed it just below your right ear where they are easily accessible. Combined with voice over, gapless playback and the abilty to play lossless files, it truly is a ground breaking dap.

You really should give one a go for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised
wink.gif

I'm sorry, but what makes this ground breaking? The gapless, voice, and lossless are software things, and could be put onto something much smaller than the shuffle. Your phrase of "combined with" referencing the aforementiond software things and the size due to button location makes me think that you think one has some influence over the other. Combined with the restrictive button placement, and reportedly not great SQ (never heard one, so if you say otherwise, do tell), I would say this was an astoundinly average dap.

Also, none of the sofware things are groundbreaking, so there is not even that argument.

-Nkk

PS-I generally dislike apple, but do own an iPod and considereing a Mac becuase they are good products. I just do not agree with the whole apple is best nonsense.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 14
i'm surprised the haven't released a third party adapter yet. i'm sure it's coming soon

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Combined with voice over, gapless playback and the abilty to play lossless files, it truly is a ground breaking dap.

Can you really confirm gapless playback? I got one, and it still have gaps on Lame MP3 files, which are gapless on other iPods (5G, nano, Touch).
Edit: AAC are gapless on the 3G Shuffle, but not Lame MP3. However, Lame MP3 converted to AAC using the "Convert high bitrate songs to 128kbps AAC" are gapless. So FYI.

May 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 14
I got one mainly for bike riding. It beats carrying around my large Classic. I will use the crappy apple buds, but I put on some pk3 foams so they will stay in place in my ears. The control is really simple and the device is tiny, perfect for riding my bike. I'm also glad that it works in my car, even without controls. The shuffle was made for people to use it while being active, if you are not using it while being active, it won't work out and you need to get something else.

May 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but what makes this ground breaking? The gapless, voice, and lossless are software things, and could be put onto something much smaller than the shuffle. Your phrase of "combined with" referencing the aforementiond software things and the size due to button location makes me think that you think one has some influence over the other. Combined with the restrictive button placement, and reportedly not great SQ (never heard one, so if you say otherwise, do tell), I would say this was an astoundinly average dap.

Also, none of the sofware things are groundbreaking, so there is not even that argument.

-Nkk

PS-I generally dislike apple, but do own an iPod and considereing a Mac becuase they are good products. I just do not agree with the whole apple is best nonsense.

As you said these features could be done by other manufacturers, but as it stands the shuffle is the only player on the market that has all of them. Perhaps i should have said "including" rather than combined to avoid confusion but i still stand by my statement, as a whole it is a groundbreaking product.

Heck if you find something else with all those features that is smaller and cost less i'll buy you one
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you really confirm gapless playback? I got one, and it still have gaps on Lame MP3 files, which are gapless on other iPods (5G, nano, Touch).
Edit: AAC are gapless on the 3G Shuffle, but not Lame MP3. However, Lame MP3 converted to AAC using the "Convert high bitrate songs to 128kbps AAC" are gapless. So FYI.

Mine plays aiff gapless no problem and i was just about to check lame mp3, but you beat me to it
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #12 of 14
Actually, the 3G Shuffle cannot do gapless playback reliably. The only setting I could use to get consistent gapless playback is only QT AAC 128kbps VBR constrained, and the tracks have to be short (~2 minutes). Longer tracks, not gapless. Any settings with Lame MP3, not gapless. Any higher bitrate with QT AAC, not gapless. Apple lossless, not gapless. I returned mine already. Even Apple doesn't consider it to be gapless acpable.
frown.gif

May 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 14
I have been reading a few magazine reviews that both stated that this Apple had finally mad a Shuffle that sounds good. Given that I (and a lot others) find that the 1st gen Shuffle is possibly the best sounding of all iPods does this mean that the 3rd gen Shuffle has absolutely fantastic sq or just that those reviewers have leaden ears ?

In other words how does the 3rd gen compare to the 1st gen on sq (might be a hard question to answer given that only stock iBuds can be used on the 3rd gen) ?

May 5, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 14
u can use other gear, but you then unable to control the volume the tracks and pretty much everything else... Its probably Apple's way of trying to promote their own IEMS :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back