Ipod RCA Lineout
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

memepool

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi does anyone know of a dock / cable adaptor which can connect an ipod (3G+) to RCA / phono Line level plugs.

Not talking about a mini-jack to phono adaptor of which of course there are many but an actual hardwired high quality solution which takes line level audio straight to an RCA out.

I am sure it must be possible to make such a thing if you knew the wiring of the dock connector but I havn't seem any comercially available.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 10
http://www.moon-audio.com/

Go to 'headphone and portable cables' and scroll down the page. You'll recognise it when you see it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you looking for female RCA plugs? If so, I have found several companies that make (m) stereo mini to (f) RCAs in a single molded plug. One of them is Audioquest (AQs is a right angle).

Here is a link to one sold by Headroom...http://www.headphone.com/products/ad...d-accessories/

Radioshack sells one under their gold series. And I also found a couple of generics.

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 10
If he's looking for dock to male RCA, he has plenty of options. If he wants female RCAs so he can use existing cable, then...

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 10
no I think youre confused, there are not many options for what he is looking for, what he is looking for has to be custom.

Its a "dock" with two hardwired cables exiting both cables terminated with RCA connectors.

There is no such commercial product available like that, at least not to my knowledge, It has to be made via custom commission. I suppose since demand for such a connector is low. It however would probably be best suited for something like the ae-1 or PR2

a cable like that however will most likely introduce a lot of strain on the Ipod jack.

Dec 22, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
no I think youre confused, there are not many options for what he is looking for, what he is looking for has to be custom.

Its a "dock" with two hardwired cables exiting both cables terminated with RCA connectors.

Ok, I was thinking mini-to-RCA when I said that there are many ... sorry I miss wrote. (I've been searching for several days for a dock to female RCA, so they've all begun to run together.) But I think that this is what you refer to...

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=44

From the Web site... "Stereo Link for iPod -- High-performance RCA output for the iPod -- The Stereo Link is for those that demand the most professional sound from the iPod. Plugging directly into the Dock Connector, and utilizing RCA connection cables, the Stereo Link gives audiophiles the best quality sound from the iPod. With standardized RCA cables at the users disposal, the iPod is able to connect to home stereos, mixers, AV receivers, recorders and any other RCA compatible device."

A consideration with this option: You can't run power to the dock.

Hope this is on the right track...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 10
i was thinking about getting an apple dock, opening and splicing into the line out so i c ould bypas the mini jack and panel mount a pair of RCA jacks, that way any set of iterconnests could be run to an amp, but it wouldnt be portable.

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for all the links guys. I was thinking along the lines of a dock for home use which would go straight to an amplifier. The mini-jack connector will always involve a sonic compromise no matter how well made it is, in my experience so I was kind of hoping that some hi-fi company out there would make a dock with rca outputs and maybe even optical and spdif as well.

The moon-audio site certainly has some sexy-looking cables although it is a bit on the pricy side but the wall-mart Nyko version looks a bit too basic to really offer a big leap in performance over a good quality mini-jack to phono cable.

plenty of options to consider though...

Dec 22, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Thanks for all the links guys. I was thinking along the lines of a dock for home use which would go straight to an amplifier. The mini-jack connector will always involve a sonic compromise no matter how well made it is, in my experience so I was kind of hoping that some hi-fi company out there would make a dock with rca outputs and maybe even optical and spdif as well.

The moon-audio site certainly has some sexy-looking cables although it is a bit on the pricy side but the wall-mart Nyko version looks a bit too basic to really offer a big leap in performance over a good quality mini-jack to phono cable.

plenty of options to consider though...

Please let us know what you decide to do.

I am looking for options to connect to home amp too. And in my case, I would like to try to use existing Audioquest RCA interconnects (so I need female RCAs). Lastly I want USB power to connect to apple power plug. So far I am leaning toward PocketDock. I am also hoping that Sik comes out with USB versions of their products (which was rumored elsewhere in forum).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back