iPod owners - cons about an iPod?
Apr 7, 2003 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I'm almost all but settled into buying an iPod, but I still have a couple questions about the iPod's build and sound quality that I haven't really found a great answer for.

First off, have you had any problems with the sound quality of the iPod? I plan on mostly using a pair of Eggos with my iPod, but I want to be able to plug in my HD580's and not cringe at the sound sometimes.

Secondly, regarding build quality, it seems like the biggest problem is the lack of a replaceable battery. It's to the best of my knowledge that this really isn't a widespread problem, but to those of you iPod owners, how long do you think your battery will last and how do you deal with this?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Apr 7, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
First off, have you had any problems with the sound quality of the iPod? I plan on mostly using a pair of Eggos with my iPod, but I want to be able to plug in my HD580's and not cringe at the sound sometimes.

Secondly, regarding build quality, it seems like the biggest problem is the lack of a replaceable battery. It's to the best of my knowledge that this really isn't a widespread problem, but to those of you iPod owners, how long do you think your battery will last and how do you deal with this?

iPod sound quality is excellent. You will need a headphone amp to properly drive the 580's out of any portable, including the iPod.

build quality is best in the industry. I have a Zen and had an Odyssey, iPod is better.

Battery lasts ~1000 charges. No replacement is available. If you can' live with that, get a Nomad Jukebox 3 which does have replacable batteries. Most pocket jukeboxes do NOT have relpaceable battery in order to save space. When they die, they die. But you can always run it off the power from the firewire/AC power cable. By the time iPod dies, the iPod 3 will be out and you'll want that anyway.

Apr 7, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 61
I'm very happy with my 20 gig Ipod. Battery problem is a concern if it does go, but it's under warrenty for a year, right? Battery life is good, and I would agree that 10 hours is not unreasonable at all.

I find the quality good through my headphones. I've used both my SR-60's (32ohms) and ER-6's (48ohms) and I've tested the ER-4p on it aswell. I was happy with all the results.

I'm sure that you'll be rather pleased with your purchase.

Apr 7, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 61
One last question, thanks austonia for bringing up the newer iPod's... I was under the assumption that the new iPods were going to come out really soon, and I saw this on some apple rumor site not too long ago, but now it seems like talk of this has died down -

I'm kind of scared that if I purchase an iPod right now (probably 10gb or 20gb) that from a month from now it will be $100 cheaper. Does anybody have any more information on this?

Apr 7, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 61
Hi Anthony:
I have the 20 GB iPod, which I use daily with either the Ety ER4 P or S, Grado SR60 and/or Koss PortaPro (whatever fits the situation). I've owned this unit for the better part of a year with zero problems.

My music is encoded at 256 kps VBR and I think the sound is very robust with each of the phones listed above. I do not own the Eggos or Senns mentioned but I believe, if you do a search, that you will find that many are very happy with those combinations. The one phone that I have found that makes the iPod sound like a screeching monkey is the MS Pro (Alessandro's version of the Grado RS1). These phones are just too revealing to be used with an MP3 source. On the whole, the iPod is considered to have a reasonably powerful, high-quality headphone jack and I quite agree.

Insofar as the battery is concerned, I've had no problems and I expect that the battery will hold up for 2+ years, by which time I will probably have replaced the unit anyway. (I only use 10 of the 20 GB for music. The remainder space is used to hold/transfer data files.) Actually, 5 years endurance would not surprise me, but we shall see.

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 61
I would wait a few weeks, it is very likely new iPod capacity/pricing scheme will be coming out soon. There are too many rumors right now but usually there is a basis on truth. There are so many strong competitors coming out that Apple simply must respond or else be left in the dust as companies like Samsung, RCA, Phillips, iRiver, etc. enter the market

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 61
austonia,

I agree with you and would even say that most likely, Apple will be left in the dust. There are lots of strong competitors out there who are experts in the consumer market (which HDD based MP3 plaers are in) that are cashing in on HDD (Hard disk drive) based players. I work in the HDD industry and there are new embedded HDD designs that are going to be cheaper and better (lower power consumption hence longer battery life) that will be coming out next year by the likes of Samsung, Sony, Phillips. When they do, it will be tough for Apple to respond.

Apr 7, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 61
I think the ipod won't disappear, but I don't think that it will ever be the budget brand. That's just not in Apple's business philosophy. I think that they will continue to offer leading edge product that may come at a price premium but has very few competitors for the same quality and style.

In terms of if you should wait, the only direct indication that we have from Apple is about 1 month ago they removed the 'NEW' tag from the ipod, so they maybe gearing for another version. The rumor sites are often wrong (some of them predicted new ipods in early january). However no one doubts that a new ipod is around the corner, however long that may be.

Apr 7, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 61
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies!

Basically, I've been really busy these past few weeks on campus, and it looks like I'm going to be busy for the next several months here, so I needed some portable music fast. I wanted to see if anybody had any knowledge of upcoming price reductions (the supposed 10gb - $299 20gb - $399 40gb - $499) rumors, to see if I could wait that long.

Since no solid price reduction date has been set, I think I'll just go ahead and purchase one soon and just get really really really really mad at myself the price drop happens in the very near future.

P.S. I guess I was looking for people to make me think twice about the iPod so I wouldn't be tempted to get it so soon, but you guys have been real dicks saying all this good stuff about it, so that I'm going to have to get one RIGHT NOW.
frown.gif
*sigh*

Also, check out this ipoding link about the 40GB iPod:

http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?o...ticle&sid=1065

Apr 7, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 61
well if you buy now then get it from dell at 10% off

WOH!

I just checked Dell removed all iPods from thier list.... they were on there earlier today... hmmm

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Battery lasts ~1000 charges. No replacement is available.

I find this to be very ridiculous.
rolleyes.gif
Does the ipod feature an overcharge protection system? I've had bad luck with all rechargable batteries that I've used.

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 61
how much does apple charge to replace the battery on ipod? $299?

Apr 7, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #15 of 61
When I buy a HDD player I'll want a replaceable battery so I'm looking at the NJB3.

I may want to upgrade by the time the battery dies, but that doesn't mean I'll accept the unit being useless. I often upgrade equipment and still use the old piece or at least sell the old equipment to get some money back.

I figure with a NJB3, since I can plug in a wall wart I'll always be able to use it. With the iPod you need to be near your computer to use the firewire power. Although I think I did see someone build a wall wart that terminates in a firewire plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back