iPod or iPod+HP
Nov 11, 2004 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after many months of vascilating, and eagerly anticipating an "iPod killer", I have conceeded that the darkside isfor me, and an iPod is in my future.

Onto the questions:

As a PC user, would there be any advanatage in opting for the HP branded iPod? Anecdotal reports suggest HP support puts Apple to shame, but I have no direct experience with either company. I do know if it was branded IBM, I would not be asking this question
evil_smiley.gif
Has the incidence of the "audio defect" been any less in the HP units?

Is the extended warranty/plan thingy a good idea, or should most problems arise within the standard warranty period of 12 months?

Where is the best place to buy one of these guys? If I go with the Apple, I will buy it through the campus computer store. For the HP, I have many online options, including HP.com, Circuit City, Radioshack, Best Buys, CompUSA...the list goes on. My gut tells me a local vendor will be the wisest choice, in the event of problems.

A lot of questions, I know. Any advice greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Where is the best place to buy one of these guys? If I go with the Apple, I will buy it through the campus computer store. For the HP, I have many online options, including HP.com, Circuit City, Radioshack, Best Buys, CompUSA...the list goes on. My gut tells me a local vendor will be the wisest choice, in the event of problems.

A lot of questions, I know. Any advice greatly appreciated!
biggrin.gif

I am also looking into the HP iPod 40GB. There are 2 places I have found which have the best deals on the HP iPod. I work right near J&R Musicworld & you can pick one up there for $380 now: J&R HP iPod

Also Buy.com has them for $370 w. free shipping: Buy.com HP iPod If you are a 1st time customer I think u can also get $15 off.

The only thing stopping me from picking one up is I can't decide if I want the iPhoto or not.

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 21
Good finds zyx. My only reservation is that if something goes wrong (eg: audio problem), I would prefer not to have to futz around with shipping backwards and forwards. For this reason, I would prefer buying through a local retailer, even if I have to pay a little extra (tax etc).

Radioshack are my closest retailer - has anyone got good/bad/otherwise things to say about them, particularly with respect to warranty issues or exchanges?

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara
Costco has the iPod+HP and they have a great return policy

I second that recommendation. Costco has the Apple for list price, but you get 15 free songs from iTunes ($14.85), and a leather case ($??.??).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=&topnav=&cat=

Nov 11, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 21
I saw the Apple, but could not find the HP at CostCo. It wasn't immediately clear, but does one need to be a member to shop there?

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Radioshack are my closest retailer - has anyone got good/bad/otherwise things to say about them, particularly with respect to warranty issues or exchanges?

Radio Shack sells iPods now? What have become of the world!

biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 21
My considerations...

With the apple iPod, there is an apple extended warranty option you can get.

I do not see a similar option for the HP iPod. You get a better base warranty, but no optional manufacturers extended warranty that I've found.

Though in either case, a store-warranty may offer better protection than the apple extended warranty anyway.

I did see some concerns about weather or not the Best-Buy extended contract included coverage of the battery.

I'm still not sure which way is the better to go, but I have not ruled out the "Apple" branded model on warranty just yet.

Ideally you could pick up a store warranty that covered both the battery, and any accidental damage you cause, for cheap.

I don't know if anyone has such a plan, but I'd be interested to know if there is one.

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberius
My considerations...

With the apple iPod, there is an apple extended warranty option you can get.

I do not see a similar option for the HP iPod. You get a better base warranty, but no optional manufacturers extended warranty that I've found.

Though in either case, a store-warranty may offer better protection than the apple extended warranty anyway.

I did see some concerns about weather or not the Best-Buy extended contract included coverage of the battery.

I'm still not sure which way is the better to go, but I have not ruled out the "Apple" branded model on warranty just yet.

Ideally you could pick up a store warranty that covered both the battery, and any accidental damage you cause, for cheap.

I don't know if anyone has such a plan, but I'd be interested to know if there is one.

From what I understand, HP allows you to purchase an extended warranty much like what Apple offers. The interesting point, is that it appears you can buy the extension up to 12 months after you purchase the iPod+HP.

See here

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Could someone mention what's better about the HP warranty?

Everywhere I read says they both cover one year.

Nov 12, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Could someone mention what's better about the HP warranty?

Everywhere I read says they both cover one year.

With regards the standard iPod/iPod+HP warranty, both are 12 months. The main difference is that HP offers unlimited 24/7 telephone support, whereas Apple only allow you one call, or something meagre like that. How useful telephone support is, I'm not sure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back