iPod Nano 4G vs. Sansa Fuze
Dec 2, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #46 of 83
i prefer the fuze although the nano isn't bad

what got me to buy the fuze were it's sq, price, non-itunes use lol, scroll wheel (i hate ipods' touch wheel since i always seem to overshoot everything when using my gf's ipods), and expandable memory. an ipod in general would have been nice if i planned on buying a moderately expensive portable amp and a lod, but i had no intentions of doing so.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #47 of 83
iTunes is fine. 256kbps iTunes plus tracks have awesome sound and no DRM. I rent most of my movies on iTunes these days as it's cheaper than Blockbuster and more convenient. I don't listen to radio and don't need to record anything...and don't care what fashion is, having left the teen years more than 30 earth revolutions ago. Being anti-iPod is just belonging to an alternative, if smaller, cultural group. No different.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess i don't care about wma as it is more closed than is about any other codec whilst ogg and flac have no support outside of computers or some portable devices.

id much rather have gapless, 3 lossless choices and aac

What use are any of the formats outside computers and players?
You listed 2 gapless formats on the Fuze, so you can't really cite that as an advantage of the Nano.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
havent try the sansa fuse yet, but so far i am enjoying my nano directly from LOD to my atrio/esw9 without amp... no hiss, clean flat sound.. nice!!

excuse my ignorance, but how do you go fron nano to LOD to headphones without an amp?

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortonjl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excuse my ignorance, but how do you go fron nano to LOD to headphones without an amp?

ALO dock -> female-female jack -> volume control -> headphone
atsmile.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #52 of 83
gapless has nothing to do with the codec, but how the software handles the files. cd, cassette tape, md, mp3, aac, wma everything is gapless as long as the software/firmware supports it. the fuze does not. without gapless, i feel the whole word, 'audiophile' is misappropriated

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #53 of 83
My biggest reason for leaving iPods was that my third-gen Nano's clickwheel had totally wonky sensitivity and adjusting it was kind of a pain.

Also iTunes sucks.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

gapless has nothing to do with the codec, but how the software handles the files. cd, cassette tape, md, mp3, aac, wma everything is gapless as long as the software/firmware supports it. the fuze does not. without gapless, i feel the whole word, 'audiophile' is misappropriated

cassette tape is gapless as long as the software/firmware supports it? Nonsense.

to be honest, gapless playback has never really been all that important to me and I consider myself an audiophile. I come from the old school cassette and vinyl days. Those old recordings had a distinct gap between songs. Vinyl still provides the best format as far as sound quality and it is a true audiophile format for music lovers. Bottom line, I care more about sound quality and the fuze provides great audio with a lot of flexibility. Gapless has nothing to with a player being for audiophiles or not.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cassette tape is gapless as long as the software/firmware supports it? Nonsense.

to be honest, gapless playback has never really been all that important to me and I consider myself an audiophile. I come from the old school cassette and vinyl days. Those old recordings had a distinct gap between songs. Vinyl still provides the best format as far as sound quality and it is a true audiophile format for music lovers. Bottom line, I care more about sound quality and the fuze provides great audio with a lot of flexibility. Gapless has nothing to with a player being for audiophiles or not.

Especially since so many genres of music have no need for gapless. Which pretty much means that only genres that require gapless are genres that can have audiophile fans.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially since so many genres of music have no need for gapless. Which pretty much means that only genres that require gapless are genres that can have audiophile fans.

yeah, there are classical recordings that do rely on gapless, live stuff and dj mixes. I do acknowledge that. Most of the time my player is shuffling a playlist, so gapless playback from one track to another is not required. My dj mixes are one chunk...and no I do not listen to commercially released mix CDs.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found that the advantages of buying the market leader and market setter far outweigh the disadvantages. Apple sets the standard with each new model ...

If only this were true for its primary function and most common usage: basic headphone out SQ....

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

gapless has nothing to do with the codec, but how the software handles the files. cd, cassette tape, md, mp3, aac, wma everything is gapless as long as the software/firmware supports it.

mp3 inherently has gaps because the frames can't be arbitrary lengths. There are a couple of schemes to get gapless playback by storing the exact length of a track either in the mp3 file's metadata or the player's database. Then (if the player "knows" about the kludge) it can skip the unused time in the last frame. There are a couple of schemes for this, and neither part of the MP3 standard, so the encoder and player have to both be on the same page. If you have a new enough Itunes and a new enough Ipod it works. I think AAC has the same issue.

Ogg/vorbis and Flac, on the other hand, were designed to be gapless from the start, though that doesn't mean all players are smart enough to read the next file and be ready to play the instant the current track finishes.

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #60 of 83
yes, gapless is for dance mix cds. It would be annoying to hear a gap everytime the next choon is being faded in. Also some classical cds are all continuous. It does not bother me at all though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back