iPod Mini questions
Nov 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jruschme

Head-Fier
Figured I'd break this out of the 5G/Classic SSD thread:

The Mini has some roll offs in the lower frequency so the bass suffers a little bit. You won't be able to hear this if the recording is bass heavy, but you may be able to hear when listening to an album bass light. I tested the external amping via lod, and that clearly gets rid much of the roll offs and improves the bass.

Other than that, the Mini is a great piece of gadget (form factor design, responsiveness, UI, craftsmanship, materials used) and I am surprised by its effortless driving my phones (EX1000 and D2000). It sounds very dynamic/airy and musical to my ears. The Mini should be included in the collection for anyone who mods the ipods. I plan to diymod one Mini for some fun and comparison with my other inventory in SQ.

BTW, has anyone tried this 1300mAh battery for the Mini?

I'll have to let you know about the battery. I ordered one yesterday, but won't have it until Tuesday (damn DHL shipping).

Amping question: I'm considering picking up a Fiio E1 for my Mini since they are so cheap on Amazon ($9.59). Any opinions about the E1 or what to expect overall?

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 7
If you can stretch a bit more try the topping nx1 for an amp.  According to Cmarti the battery will fit but won't do much more for battery life.  I gave the mini a listen again today and the bass roll off is certainly there.  If you have some darker sounding iems or headphones though it could be a good combo.  Certainly easier to mod than the classics!

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
  If you can stretch a bit more try the topping nx1 for an amp.  According to Cmarti the battery will fit but won't do much more for battery life.  I gave the mini a listen again today and the bass roll off is certainly there.  If you have some darker sounding iems or headphones though it could be a good combo.  Certainly easier to mod than the classics!

Thanks. Is the NX1 the hybrid tube amp?

Darker headphones are no issue. That's pretty much my normal combo.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Don't think the topping is.  Check the main thread out in the portable amp section for more.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm finally getting an iPod mini. Should be in in the next few days. Then next ninth I'll get a 256GB SDXC card for my 5.5G, and more the 128GB SDXC to my mini. My iPod collection is growing.

I've always loved the for factors factor of the mini, just never had one. The one I'm getting is a 2nd Gen and in very very good shape. Silver. So I may get a cheap scratched 2nd Gen to polish the aluminum. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back