iPod/iPhone user wanting to take the next step - complete novice!!
May 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
G'Day All,

OK here is my situation - have been a portable listener for years using ipods/iphones with stock headpones etc.

Recently I have decided that I want a little/lot more from my gear and have made some mistakes in trying to achieve this ie just received a Zune 32Gb and it sounded worse than my iPhone 3GS - mind you that is with stock earbuds. I do own a pair of Sennheiser HD 500's which I purchased for gaming 8 years ago (and still sound great to me) and which the iPhone seems to drive reasonably well though I have to have the volume nearly max. The Zune appears to have a lower volume.

I've really screwed up in trying to achieve an audiophile experience and have gone about it ass up eg I ordered the monster pro copper IEM's from Amazon (cheap) and have already received the Zune 32gb I ordered  - think I'm going to sell the Zune as I was being a Microsoft Fanboy when I purchased it. I don't need video for example - Christ I even ordered the Sync Doc as well - they say fools and their money are soon departed!

I have since ordered the Sansa Clip + after discovering that many people on these forums own it. Have also discovered Rockbox,headphone amps and imods on these forums which had I been a little smarter would have read sooner. It's a whole new world - damn you google!! I can see myself at some stage getting a 5th gem ipod and Imodding it.

Given I am selling the Zune and Dock and will be getting the Clip + and Monster's shortly I should probably leave it at that right?

I'm new to the portable audiophile thing but just reading some of the threads here I can see it can become very addictive.

My music collection is very eclectic ie everything from Marylyn Manson/Pink Floyd,ACDC thru to Modern Jazz ie Michael Franks, Dave Grusin, Larry Carlton etc and I like a bit of bass.

Jesus, whats my question?

I'm totally confused now - pleaes help!!

May 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 4
Run away...NOW!  - haha.

Choices are headphones or IEMS these days.

Sources:
iphone /itouch  with EQu or Equalizer apps.
Cowon j3 or x7.
sansa cips etc are popular also too.

imods are old technology, not worth it now.
hifiman etc are niche.

headphone or lineout?
to portable amp or not?

hmm, yes best to get out whilst you still can. :)

May 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for your reply - I should runaway but I read the thread post your pics - too late!!

Just going to wait for the Clip+ and Monster's to arrive, then Rockbox it and take it from there - I hope I get a decent price for my Zune HD and Dock.

Just how much of a difference would a headphone amp make exactly - what exactly do they do as many people choose not to have one.

I investigated all this stuff a few years back but it got too hard as I'm not in a position to hear any gear before purchasing due to where I live.

Cheers.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 4
OK got rid of the Zune and got a refurbished Ipod Video 5.5 gen (subsequently Rockboxed) and an iBasso D6 Amp and LOD cable and coupled with the Pro Coppers I gotta say I am very happy with the result.

So thank you all as the threads here have been invaluable - the knowledge here is just outstanding. My 1st half decent rig is sweet!!

Gonna grab another couple of headphones ie Yuin PK2's and either Sennheiser HD-25 II's or Audio Technica ADHM50's + another refurbished iPod down the track - expatin japan your warning came too late!!

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back