iPod firmware update problem
Sep 26, 2006 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I just got my new 5G 60 gig iPod yesterday and got it loaded up with music but I can't update to the latest firmware (version 1.2 I believe). The problem is my computer is not connected to the internet so iTunes can't download the update. The computer I'm on now has high-speed but it's running Windows 98 so I can't put iTunes on it. My parents have a computer with WinXP but due to their rural location they only have dialup. Is there a way to download the update outside of iTunes and update the iPod manually? I know there is an iPod updater for this but I've not been able to find it with the latest 1.2 firmware.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I thought of that but my in-laws are on vacation so I have no idea where the discs are for the service provider setup and I have no idea of any of the settings either.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 7
The latest Apple firmware (1.2) is no longer handled by an iPod Updater program. Updating is now integrated into iTunes 7.

You may know this already, but thought worth mentioning. If you can get to a PC with iTunes 7 installed, you should be just fine.

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, that's what I managed to do, mackay maus let me go into his work where one of his co-workers who has iTunes on a PC updated it for me. I've only had a brief moment to test it but it seems gapless works great now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Terrific! Glad things worked out. Enjoy the lack of gaps.
tongue.gif

This is going to be awesome. I've got most of the music I would want to listen to on this thing and a good portion is ripped at lossless. While sonically it may not be the best quality in the world it sure is darn convenient to have all that music in one tiny piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back