Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Nov 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3,241 of 3,645
  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I have a 6.5g 120gb classic that I'm trying to put a 240gb msata drive into. After hours of taking the drive and and out and neither iTunes nor File Explorer seeing the new drive, I came here. Reading that perhaps its the iPod itself that isn't capable of seeing the 240gb drive unless it's rockboxed I've been attempting to RB the new drive. I can get it to the UMSboot step and the screen comes on and after I eject the drive, the screen gets stuck on "formatting". I don't know if it's because the drive is twice the size or if the ipod is still refusing to work with it, but I tried the stock 120gb drive and formatting lasted maybe 45 seconds, and now it's stuck for 30 minutes or better or the 240gb ssd. It's not the drive as I bought two of them and both worked fine in my 80gb 5.5g video and both show up as 223gb and process through itunes perfectly. I'll try to leave the drive in the formatting position I guess till the battery dies since the screen is staying on. Any suggestions? Or is my attempt to mSata SSD this 6.5g a worthless endeavor? I'd like to have the use of both since I keep them in my cars and don't want to have to swap em out every time I drive. Please help

ok, I put the stock 120gb hdd back in and tried all over again. I was successful at installing and booting RB and everything worked flawless. But the issue seems to lie with the 240gb ssd. No matter what I do I can't get it to go past the emCORE installer formatting screen. I tried to to ask about this in the ipod ssd mods thread also, sorry for the redundancy. I have not once seen this ssd inside of this ipod become visible in my PC yet. the closest I can get it to booting from the first menu, selecting RB and the red warning comes up, like it should, then I get a white screen *PANIC* ATA: Error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector0, count 1). I can't get to the part to even load from the rockbox utility.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #3,242 of 3,645
I have a huge problem with my rockboxed ipod, i need help

So i bought it to some rich kid who didnt want his christmas present, i tought i was very lucky to get a 160gb ipod for only 40 bucks.

When i used it on my computer i noticed that the ipod freezes itself on itunes i needed to reboot it, i tought it was the chinese cable that i bought, so i installed rockbox and that problem dissapeared, but not for long, i tought the hdd was the problem but i didnt mind on looking at it...

So a month ago the ipod simply died after putting some music on it, it just freezes itself as it always did but when i tried rebooting it... nothing happened, the screen was all black. When i connect the ipod to my notebook the screen started flashing, the message shown was the classi emcore message when booting up the ipod, you know "emcore version r859" but that screen just flash, on and off on and off without a stop until i disconeccted the cable

I tought it was the hdd that was dead so i bought one from ebay, the exact model from my ipod, when i connect it and start it... it was the same "emcore version r589" flashing all over again.

So i tried something new, i disconected the hdd from the ipod and start just like and guess what? it started, i can navigate trough the emcore menu, but i cant do nothing, if i run rockbox (or its fallback image) it shows the PANIC message, if i choose to "reformat all data" it just freezes and if i tried to connect it through umsboot... well, nothing. Itunes gives me a error (2005) if i reboot on DFU

Any ideas? or i should give up on my ipod? :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,243 of 3,645

So i bought it to some rich kid who didnt want his christmas present, i tought i was very lucky to get a 160gb ipod for only 40 bucks.

When i used it on my computer i noticed that the ipod freezes itself on itunes i needed to reboot it, i tought it was the chinese cable that i bought, so i installed rockbox and that problem dissapeared, but not for long, i tought the hdd was the problem but i didnt mind on looking at it...

So a month ago the ipod simply died after putting some music on it, it just freezes itself as it always did but when i tried rebooting it... nothing happened, the screen was all black. When i connect the ipod to my notebook the screen started flashing, the message shown was the classi emcore message when booting up the ipod, you know "emcore version r859" but that screen just flash, on and off on and off without a stop until i disconeccted the cable

I tought it was the hdd that was dead so i bought one from ebay, the exact model from my ipod, when i connect it and start it... it was the same "emcore version r589" flashing all over again.

So i tried something new, i disconected the hdd from the ipod and start just like and guess what? it started, i can navigate trough the emcore menu, but i cant do nothing, if i run rockbox (or its fallback image) it shows the PANIC message, if i choose to "reformat all data" it just freezes and if i tried to connect it through umsboot... well, nothing. Itunes gives me a error (2005) if i reboot on DFU

Hey  friend, I don't know if it could help you, but I used to have some problems using those chinese cables. Use only the original Ipod/Ipad/Iphone usb cable and see If with this way, it works...

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #3,244 of 3,645

Once I wrote to someone this text:

"Do not use fake usb cable, use ONLY the original usb cable, the one that comes with the ipod. I have several chinese usb cables here and none of them works, only charges. The original one uses 7 pins (Pin-1 for Ground, Pin-15 for Ground, Pin-16 for Ground, Pin-23 for +5V, Pin-25 for D-, and Pin-27 for D+) and the chineses use only 4 (normally Pins 16,23,25,27), these things make the whole difference. Check it out and tell us later on."

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #3,246 of 3,645
Do I understand correctly that RockBox works fine on the iPod Classic for music playback and it is only considered "unstable" because there is no dual boot capable / easy installation method?

That sounds about right.  By "unstable," I assume you're referring to the Rockbox developers.  It works on mine, and most posters in this thread.  The first post will get you started.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #3,247 of 3,645

The first post will get you started.

I haven't updated the first post in quite a while, so be sure to check the instructions on freemyipod.org.
Looking at the high activity of patches for the iPod Classic I think I'll wait a bit longer to see what it looks like :)

I'm on EmCORE r859 and some build from last September, working great. With the latest daily builds the holdswitch isn't fully working, still not a problem though.

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #3,249 of 3,645
Quick question since I have not used my ipod in a while, it is dead as in it doesn't want to start and boot loops saying needs juice, if i have the hold switch to red it will still charge even though it does not fire up correct? I have r859 emcore for reference.

EDIT: It worked fine. I'm back up on the latest daily build.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,250 of 3,645
Hello thread! Thanks to this, ive gotten a ton of usage out of my ipod that was previously just collecting dust.
I cant find the manual for this build, so im hoping im just missing something. I cant figure out how to quit applications, or how to find their menus. Whenever i start a plugin or game, i have to reboot the whole ipod to quit.

Playboy in particular i am having problems with. I cant seem to figure out how to save, and read somewhere that saving in game wont help me. Something about savestates. I looked at the ipod video instructions, but toggling the hold switch and hitting the |<< key doesnt seem to do anything. Am i missing something? A good chunk of the reason i wanted this was so that i could go back and play my old games, but if i cant save my progress there isnt much point. Ive tried other things(holding down "buttons", several combinations of "buttons", the konami code, etc)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ipod classic 160GB
Model Number: A1238
Version #: c55be3b-141220
Development revision #:9a5f7ce

If i left out any information, please let me know!

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,251 of 3,645
Question:
So even with iMod + Rockbox, all 24bit / 48kHz FLAC/ALAC files in the harddrive will be downsampled to 16bit/44.1kHz, even if I pair it up with a headphone amp like the Fiio E12A with Fiio L3's LOD cable?

I know this is topic is on Rockbox, but might as well just ask here: so in layman terms, iMod's purpose is to essentially pump out CD sound quality? (with the help of Rockbox by allowing FLAC files)
Thanks for all your help!

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,252 of 3,645
  Question:
So even with iMod + Rockbox, all 24bit / 48kHz FLAC/ALAC files in the harddrive will be downsampled to 16bit/44.1kHz, even if I pair it up with a headphone amp like the Fiio E12A with Fiio L3's LOD cable?

Ignoring that you don't have the same iPod as everyone else in this thread, you can set the output to either 44.1k or 48k.  If you have 48k files, set it to 48k and nothing is resampled.

Rockbox runs everything at 32 bit internally, but seeing as your player only has a 16 bit DAC, that is the best you can output.  

I know this is topic is on Rockbox, but might as well just ask here: so in layman terms, iMod's purpose is to essentially pump out CD sound quality? 

It doesn't really have a purpose.  It basically just breaks the headphone amp to give you a second line out jack if i remember correctly.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #3,253 of 3,645

ok, I put the stock 120gb hdd back in and tried all over again. I was successful at installing and booting RB and everything worked flawless. But the issue seems to lie with the 240gb ssd. No matter what I do I can't get it to go past the emCORE installer formatting screen. I tried to to ask about this in the ipod ssd mods thread also, sorry for the redundancy. I have not once seen this ssd inside of this ipod become visible in my PC yet. the closest I can get it to booting from the first menu, selecting RB and the red warning comes up, like it should, then I get a white screen *PANIC* ATA: Error 80000000 while reading BBT (sector0, count 1). I can't get to the part to even load from the rockbox utility.

I have same problem.  Gets stuck on emcore formatting screen.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #3,254 of 3,645
I successfully rockboxed my iPod about 7 months ago.  When ever I try to update to a newer build the following happens;
Several times:  Menu screen looks fine, I select a file set to play and, instead of playing the song, it just cycles through the songs on the album and stops. 
A few times:  I get a bug error and it goes through a debug loop that never stops.
I have to use the fallback to old image setting to recover.

I don't remember which version of it I have that is working.   Am wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.  I have not read through all 217 pages of the thread so, I apologize if I am being redundant.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,255 of 3,645
I recently modified my 6.5g iPod 120GB to use an SDXC card.  I installed emCore and this thread's version of Rockbox.  Everything works great until I try to load my music library onto the iPod.  My library currently has 14747 titles and takes up 135GB.  I use MediaMonkey as my library manager.  Before the iPod mod, I used it to convert all the titles on the fly to MP3 VBR in order to fit them on the 120GB HDD.  My library will only get bigger as I move to replace MP3s with FLAC hence the mods to my iPod for more space and higher quality music.

I've been using Windows Explorer to drag and drop to the iPod drive.  Everything is fine until I reach 12-13000 songs using 100-125GB.  Then, randomly, the FAT32 file system on the iPod corrupts and the primary partition is rendered unusable.  I have to reboot the iPod, go into Tools and reformat the SD card, then go through the entire install process again.  I'm on my 7th try to load my music. 

Since it takes a lot of time over USB 2.0 using the original Apple cable to load 135GB, I've had lots of time between retries to do research into why it keeps failing.  I've tried everything I've found or could think of on my own.  My last try took an entire day as I loaded in 1-2GB chunks allowing Rockbox to fully process and commit each batch to the database.  I tested the songs on the iPod to make sure everything was working, then rebooted the iPod before starting the next batch.  Strangely, this got me the furthest, but still failed.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium fully patched on my Dell XPS 8500 quad core with 16GB RAM.  My music collection is stored on a 4TB RAID1 array.  I'm a pretty hard core DIYer and reasonably technically savvy.  Previous to this, I've hacked my TIVO, Motorola cell phone and Davis weather station to improve their performance and abilities.

I'm beginning to think that the issue I'm having is related to the hardware I used to mod the iPod.  I used a Micro SATA Cables CF Card to 1.8 inch ZIF Adapter for IPOD, SD to CF Type II Adapter and PNY Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Card.

I'd appreciate any ideas or advice help me overcome this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back