Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jun 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,077 of 3,645
Right now, I believe I am running f8785c8-140615, and all signs are showing that it appears to be stable with a total battery life of...  I estimate 32 hours.  Windows 8.1 is giving me no issues with reading it,either, so that's a good thing.  Is there a better build (such as skamp's daily builds) that I should switch to in order to optomize performance?

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #3,078 of 3,645
Hello and greetings from Portugal.

Great thread with 3077 posts! well i didn't read it all, so my apologies if some of my questions are on some of these pages.

I own a thin iPod classic 160 GB (Late 2009) (7th generation right?). I love it, and itunes is also ok for me. I use itunes library updater for sync and the battery is awesome...40-50 hours easily...In general i'm pretty happy with it...except one thing that is driving me nuts!!!

If i install rockbox, can i sort my music by album artist and not by artist?
I have several albums with guests and featured artists, and if i change the artist with the name of the "artist+feat. artist", it creates new artists splitting/separating the albums. 
It would be awesome to sort by album artist because the album artist is always the original artist and don't have the featured artists.
In itunes this is easy, you simply change the field in get info -> sorting tab ->sort artist or album artist.
But this changes doesn't seem to pass through ipod.

After installing rockbox can i still use itunes?
Can someone post a image showing how is the artist browsing on the rockbox?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #3,079 of 3,645
Is it possible to use the digital out via connecting it to a iPod dock that has a coaxial output and then use the coaxial output to my DAC.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,081 of 3,645

As far as I know, no. I am not sure though but I think Rockbox'd IPC doesn't send digital out to docks.

Damn, that's a shame. I really wanted to rockbox it for FLAC capabilities. Guess I'll have to batch convert my folders to ALAC.

On the normal Classic, can you only add stuff through iTunes? I have a bunch of folders that I'd like to just drop on to the hard drive like in a regular USB hard drive. I love that about my Sansa Fuze rockbox.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,082 of 3,645

Damn, that's a shame. I really wanted to rockbox it for FLAC capabilities. Guess I'll have to batch convert my folders to ALAC.

On the normal Classic, can you only add stuff through iTunes? I have a bunch of folders that I'd like to just drop on to the hard drive like in a regular USB hard drive. I love that about my Sansa Fuze rockbox.

I never used IPC with Apple software and I hate iTunes and all, so I can't really help mate but hopefully someone will answer. I remember reading there are also other player programs that can synch and manage your iPod but don't count on me that because I never used it. Rockbox forever here
happy_face1.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3,083 of 3,645

I never used IPC with Apple software and I hate iTunes and all, so I can't really help mate but hopefully someone will answer. I remember reading there are also other player programs that can synch and manage your iPod but don't count on me that because I never used it. Rockbox forever here
happy_face1.gif

Yeah hopefully someone can help me out. I would love to be able to rock box it, but I definitely need the digital out.

Also, can someone tell me what criteria the Rockbox site is missing from identifying the Classic as "un-rockboxable". How many of you guys have successfully rockboxed it without any complications?

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #3,084 of 3,645
  Yeah hopefully someone can help me out. I would love to be able to rock box it, but I definitely need the digital out.

Also, can someone tell me what criteria the Rockbox site is missing from identifying the Classic as "un-rockboxable". How many of you guys have successfully rockboxed it without any complications?

Given the number of "thumbs up" you're likely to get from that question, maybe you should create a poll.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3,085 of 3,645
I get this when trying to download emCORE:
"Sorry, your PC operating system is not supported. Please get access to either a Windows (XP or newer) or Linux computer to install emCORE."

I have: MacBook Pro (Apple OS Mavericks) + Ipod 160gb

Now what? thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Forgot to add that, I have another Mac still running Leopard. Would that be compatible?

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,086 of 3,645
Take it literally. emCore does not work on MacOSX. You have to do it with a Windows PC or Linux. You can use VMware or Parallels on MacOSX and run Windows as a virtual machine. That's how I install emCore/Rockbox on my iPod classic from my Macbook.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,088 of 3,645
A question, the current iPod Classic selling in stores is the 7G version? I googled and wiki mentioned its the 7G and on the rockbox webby, it says they are still working on rockboxing it. Does that mean I cannot go out to the local apple store, grab a brand new iPod classic and rockbox it?

Thanks in advance

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,089 of 3,645
  A question, the current iPod Classic selling in stores is the 7G version? I googled and wiki mentioned its the 7G and on the rockbox webby, it says they are still working on rockboxing it. Does that mean I cannot go out to the local apple store, grab a brand new iPod classic and rockbox it?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can Rockbox it, but not using an installer from Rockbox (thus, their comment), which means no dual-boot, at the very least.  Go to the first post in this thread.  It explains how you can Rockbox the "7G".  Also, if it's not noted there, you need a Windows PC to do it.  It can't be done from a Mac.  You can also revert to the original firmware, if you find Rockbox is not for you.

Good luck.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3,090 of 3,645

Yes, you can Rockbox it, but not using an installer from Rockbox (thus, their comment), which means no dual-boot, at the very least.  Go to the first post in this thread.  It explains how you can Rockbox the "7G".  Also, if it's not noted there, you need a Windows PC to do it.  It can't be done from a Mac.  You can also revert to the original firmware, if you find Rockbox is not for you.

Good luck.

Thanks alot for the clarification :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back