Ipod classic....or something else?
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
So I am looking for a new mp3 player. I have around 4000 songs, I'm looking for something that can hold all of them. Are there any players that cost equal or preferably less than the ipod classic. Which is like 225. 
I use my mp3 player for:

Listening with headphones, specifically yuin pk3's
Plug into my car stereo via aux cable

Thats it, I dont use home stereos or anything like that.

Any suggestions? Though I hear the 7th gen ipod classic isnt bad.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 24
I assume the 4k songs are lossy and as a result you don't need overlay large capacity?

If this is the case I would suggest checking out the Sansa Clip+ and/or Fuze. For the price they offer an awful lot and sound more than adequate.
If you want a more fancy player with a nice screen check out the Cowon J3. You won't be chained to anything and the player has (nearly) all the features one could want in a DAP.

It really depends on how dedicated you are to certain aspects. Are you happy if it just works or are you willing to go to trouble to make it work if it can offer something more?
The best example of this is; if you were dedicated to sound quality you could check out the s:flo2/T51. The UI and battery life leaves a lot to be desired but the sound quality for the price is amazing.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 24
If u mean lossless files or whatever its called i dont think many of them are, mostly mp3's. 

Is this the player u mean? It seems like a good deal.
http://www.woot.com/

I'll look into some of those players and report back, thanks!!!

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 24
If you want SQ with the best EQ available, get something by Cowon. The J3 and the S9 also have some of the best screens around (oled) customizable flash interfaces, and hardware buttons in addition to a touch screen to enable playback control with the screen off.

As for the iPod Classic, I would get anything but... the SQ with a flat EQ it terribly electronic sounding, the EQ is terrible, and it is essentially crippled when plugged into any but your main computer.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 24
You can run rockbox on the clip/fuze too, so that should be a plus. And yes, it is that one.
The parametric eq, crossover, and stereo width adjustment are/can be useful. And a bunch of other features too.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 24

[size=medium]
cowon's look sweet. Which do u think would be best? I want only music, i dont care if i can play videos etc. I also want the highest amount of memory possible, which looks like 32gb. that works!
Where is the best place to look into getting one?
[/size]

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 24
So I'm between the 7th gen classic and the S9. I'm just curious. What kinda software do I run to put the music on the device? I'm using itunes now? What is the process to get my music from there onto the S9.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 24
Look - from they way you post I think you should just go for an iPod. The J3 can be synced by programs such as Media Monkey or J River Media Center or simply by dragging and dropping files.
If you want to use iTunes to sync your player you basically have to use an iPod or install third party software.

So for you I think simple is best. So check out the new iPod range and decide on one of those...

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 24
With my cowon players, I just use iTunes to drag and drop what songs I want. When I want to change, I select from Finder and delete then drag and drop again from iTunes playlists, albums, artists - anything I want (unless it is AAC or ALAC files). Quite easy.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
So I'm between the 7th gen classic and the S9. I'm just curious. What kinda software do I run to put the music on the device? I'm using itunes now? What is the process to get my music from there onto the S9.

You could use Cowon Media Center, downloadable from their website. It can automatically sync files, convert/rip video and music files ect. Not the greatest, but it comes with the S9 on a miniCD... It also is linked to amazon.com's music store, so you can download actual MP3 files from there, instead of the digitally restricted media (DRM) trash iTunes gives you. 

EDIT: Apparently iTunes does not have DRM anymore? I'd assume this includes regular downloads (not just the iTunes+ downloads that cost more?) Anyway, they are still AAC, not as compatible with portable players... Re-conversion is not fun. Amazon downloads are also higher than 128kbps, (256VBR I believe) and have never had DRM.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 24
Again, iTunes music hasn't been DRM (digital rights management, not digitally restricted media) crippled for 3 years. Before making comments like this, do research. Anyway, AAC isn't Cowon's forte, so buying from iTunes may not be the best idea.

Quote:
You could use Cowon Media Center, downloadable from their website. It can automatically sync files, convert/rip video and music files ect. Not the greatest, but it comes with the S9 on a miniCD... It also is linked to amazon.com's music store, so you can download actual MP3 files from there, instead of the digitally restricted media (DRM) trash iTunes gives you. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 24
erm does itunes not still have all the drm still, just that most of the tim you have the option of selecting itunes plus giving you a more costly but higher bit rate and no drm?  

that aside, personal rant comming

if you dont f*ing like drm you can use the ever craptastic itunes and not buy your music there, hell what difference does it make where you really buy crapy low bit rate junk.  heres a shocker, buy a CD and then you can havo the best quality your likely to find anywhere and you can stick it into any other format you want too.  its probaly even cheaper aswell and if you actually own it!! grr

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 24
This is exactly what I thought, Could someone please clarify? Does a standard $.99 download from iTunes have DRM embedded in it?

Quote:
"erm does itunes not still have all the drm still, just that most of the tim you have the option of selecting itunes plus giving you a more costly but higher bit rate and no drm?  ..."

Sep 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 24
^Simple, but not convenient, and in the long run iTunes just limits you choices in the future. To me convenience is being able to plug into any computer, running any OS, and get files without having special software. Convenience is being able to organize my music into a folder structure I create; It is a flash interface with options, and testability on any common browser, Convenient is 2x the battery life of any iPod, and EQ that improves most any headphone, and playback controls in my pocket, usable when the screen is off...

...Convenient is my Cowon S9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back