iPod Classic alternates?
Dec 2, 2010 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SpecialJ

Head-Fier
I was wondering if I should go ahead and spend the money on the new 160GB classic.

I have a Mac so the Zune won't work for me, although I'd love to get my hands on one....

I also do not have the time, skill, nor patience to do a mod on a 5.5G iPod video to swap out the HDD so that won't be a choice either.

I have about 80GB of songs and videos that I want to put on the MP3 player, so the iPod Touch 4G won't work either. Besides, the $400 price tag doesn't attract me.

I'm basically wondering if the newest iPod Classic is worth the $228 it is on Amazon. Or if there's another alternative.

I've done some research and have concluded the following:

The battery life on Archos players are lacking.
The compatibility with the Cowon X7 and Mac scare me.
The price tag of the new Sony Walkman that launched in Japan/UK is too high.
And Zunes don't work with Macs.

Since I'm a college student, I need the mp3 player to be portable/pocketable.

Is the iPod classic my only choice as a high capacity player?

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
I was wondering if I should go ahead and spend the money on the new 160GB classic.

I have a Mac so the Zune won't work for me, although I'd love to get my hands on one....

I also do not have the time, skill, nor patience to do a mod on a 5.5G iPod video to swap out the HDD so that won't be a choice either.

I have about 80GB of songs and videos that I want to put on the MP3 player, so the iPod Touch 4G won't work either. Besides, the $400 price tag doesn't attract me.

I'm basically wondering if the newest iPod Classic is worth the $228 it is on Amazon. Or if there's another alternative.

I've done some research and have concluded the following:

The battery life on Archos players are lacking.
The compatibility with the Cowon X7 and Mac scare me.
The price tag of the new Sony Walkman that launched in Japan/UK is too high.
And Zunes don't work with Macs.

Since I'm a college student, I need the mp3 player to be portable/pocketable.

Is the iPod classic my only choice as a high capacity player?

If your computer is a Mac, then yes.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 19
Cowon X7................

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 19
Is there are reason you don't want an iPod?

Note that according to historic release cycles the Classic is due for an update soon.

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 19
1. Get the Classic and work toward the Onkyo dock if you want to be able to use it as part of a mid-fi desktop or bedside rig.

2. Get a netbook. As I explained in another thread, you simply have so many more options available to you - asynch USB DACs, expandable storage including firewire HDDs, a wide choice of players and software tweaks - you can even install a different operating system if that floats your boat.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Can't you install windows on a mac if it's an intel model?

I do believe you can....however, that doesn't necessarily a Windows PC make.....see below.

Quote:
Cowon X7................

Someone on ABI had major problems with an X7 when connecting it to a Mac, even when using Windows on it.....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59042

So after seeing that, that's why I recommended the Classic in my previous post.
L3000.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 19
It's not that I don't like iPods, I was just looking to see if there was a better alternative. Also, you think holding out for the 2011 release of the classic is worth it?

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
It's not that I don't like iPods, I was just looking to see if there was a better alternative. Also, you think holding out for the 2011 release of the classic is worth it?

That would mean waiting almost another whole year...they always announce their iPod updates in September.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 19
I seem to go against the flow on this forum!

I actually like the sound that comes out of my classic ( I have the latest one) I am not an apple user apart from iPad and classic, not a mac head or fanboy. I just find for my ears the classic serves as a good natural sounding base for my music.

Combine it with the set up I have now and I am very pleased with the sound, no mucking about with EQ to get it sounding good like a lot of the other players people here eulogise!

I used to also think what the heck would I need to carry around my entire music library for? Now that I do (all lossless) I would never go back! To be able to have the choice is wonderful and the only time I have to use itunes is to sync new albums from my CD collection instead of how I used to do it when I had a Sony every day mucking about with that!

I was considering the HiFi man 601 seeing as the deal is so good at the moment but then I factored in how much it would cost me in SD cards to achieve the same result of having all my music with me and have pretty much given up on that ($290 for 160g of memory!)

In fact, until I wrote that I did not realize what good value the classic is, just think, for less than the price of 5 memory cards you get the whole thing in one neat bundle!

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:

I mean there's probably not much more they can do with the classic iPod though. they might add more space but besides that I don't see much happening to the classic

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
there's probably not much more they can do with the classic iPod

Possibly. Nobody knows what Apple will do of course, but there is speculation that they may discontinue the Classic line altogether. They might replace it with something, or they might just quietly drop it.

I say buy now. Apple might announce something at MacWorld (January 26-29), but they might not.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:

Quote:
Can't you install windows on a mac if it's an intel model?

I do believe you can....however, that doesn't necessarily a Windows PC make.....see below.

Quote:
Cowon X7................

Someone on ABI had major problems with an X7 when connecting it to a Mac, even when using Windows on it.....http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59042

So after seeing that, that's why I recommended the Classic in my previous post.
L3000.gif

I didn't read the whole thread. But to me it seems like he was trying Windows in Parallels, a virtual machine, rather than Windows natively. 

Install Windows natively using Boot Camp and it will be no different than any other Windows PC out there. Thats what I do. The only time I go back to OS X is to sync my iPhone or iPad, since Apple won't release a driver to charge my iPad via USB in Windows but it charges fine via USB in OS X. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I didn't read the whole thread. But to me it seems like he was trying Windows in Parallels, a virtual machine, rather than Windows natively.   
Install Windows natively using Boot Camp and it will be no different than any other Windows PC out there. Thats what I do. The only time I go back to OS X is to sync my iPhone or iPad, since Apple won't release a driver to charge my iPad via USB in Windows but it charges fine via USB in OS X. 

So what would someone with a Windows PC have to do if they have an iPad, get a wall charger?

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Quote:

So what would someone with a Windows PC have to do if they have an iPad, get a wall charger?

That depends on the motherboard of the computer. Some manufacturers have released updates that put out the extra power required for the iPad. Most haven't though.

iPad comes with a 10w USB wall charger though. It's just stupid on Apple's part to not allow USB charging on their own computers in Windows but allow it in OS X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back