ipod - aac to mp3 ??
Apr 17, 2004 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

krafty

Head-Fier
My better half would like an Ipod. I have a ton of Pepsi caps with free songs and would like to use them before they are past due. The question I have is if I download them in aac, can I burn them on disc as mp3 to play in the car and such ??? or do I have to download them as mp3's to do so ??? Just how do you do what I want to do ???

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 11
I think that if you burn them for realtime track length (like only 80 minutes on a CD) then all tracks are converted to .cda or whatever format they use.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 11
You won't be able to download them as MP3s if you buy them off of iTMS. You can transcode them from AAC to MP3 or convert them from AAC to WAV/AIFF then compress back into MP3.

Use this for easy LAME conversion if on OS X. If on a PC, There's various other progs.

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 11
You do it thru iTunes

Select the songs you want to change
Click the Advanced Menu -> Click covert to MP3.

Done and Done

to burn a full MP3 CD
go to preferences/burning/ then choose MP3 as your disc format

Apr 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by poisonmonkey
You do it thru iTunes

Select the songs you want to change
Click the Advanced Menu -> Click covert to MP3.

Done and Done

to burn a full MP3 CD
go to preferences/burning/ then choose MP3 as your disc format

Does that work with AACs downloaded from ITMS? I'd find it hard to believe Apple would let you do that.

Apr 19, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 11
I dunno I haven't tried it.

I wouldn't be surprised it it was an oversight!
But IMO once you paid for the song you can do what you want to it. If you shall choose to make it an MP3 instead of AAC you should be able to do so!

Apr 19, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah I agree with you in principle, but I think Apple managed to cover most their bases for this sort of thing, the security of AACs is one of the reasons they managed to get so many record labels to sign up to iTMS. Of course there's always the option to burn AACs as CD-audio and then rip the CDs, but that would seriously degrade what is already a slightly low (considering the price) bitrate.

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 11
If I understand the question, all you need to do is burn a music cd through itunes which what I think volik posted. You export them to cd in itunes.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the info guy's. I guess I understand the problem - but not really. I mean you are basically paying $1 per song - the same price as a cd, except you can pick and choose what you want. Slight advantage there I guess. It just seems like the song would be yours for that price.

Looks like I'll have to buy 2 Ipods with FM adapters so we can both take the library with us. - Wow!! - I talked myself into one for me.

If I load my cd's into Itunes, can I burn compilations to a cd that way ??
Or - would another program and maybe a Dell DJ be better for this ???

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 11
Once you load your CD's into iTunes, it a simple drag and drop for whatever songs you want on your new compilation.

Since you are ripping the CDs you already own you can make as many compilation CD's as you want.

Krafty - you got it exactly, $1 a song but only the song you want. I also have the iTrip (FM adapter) but if you are expecting top notch sound quality don't do it. You should get a line directly to the stereo instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back