iPod 5g Unversal Dock output experience??
Nov 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
I just got my main headphone rig out and setup. I decided to use the iPod output off of the Universal Dock to the SinglePower amp. With the volume on the iPod all the way I had to crank the volume on the SinglePower unit to full blast to get any volume at all from it, and it was still too low. When I switched over to the headphone output of the iPod itself I suddenly had all the volume I needed, and then some. Without the volume anywhere all the way up I can only go until about 9 o'clock on the volume knob.

Is this normal? Is there anything to set on the iPod so that I get more volume on the Dock output?

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 29
I think there is something wrong with your dock. The volume should be about the same.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I read on ilounge that the universal dock doesn't have a true line out. You can affect it with the ipod volume control.

whoa that is good to know! it's better to get the video ipod dock then?

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I read on ilounge that the universal dock doesn't have a true line out. You can affect it with the ipod volume control.

I turned the volume all the way to max once I attached the ICs to the output, but even at max is is WAY too low. I would expect at least the same output level as the headphone jack, or at least close to it. Maybe another trip to the Apple Store is in order.
rolleyes.gif
They love me there.
icon10.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 29
ACtually, I just plugged the Dock back in, and noticed that adjusting the volume on the iPod has absolutely no effect on the output. No matter how low, or how high, I go the volume at the amp remains the same. Sounds like I got a bum Dock. Maybe I'll return it and try and find someone who makes a dock that has a remote control that actually WORKS!

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
ACtually, I just plugged the Dock back in, and noticed that adjusting the volume on the iPod has absolutely no effect on the output. No matter how low, or how high, I go the volume at the amp remains the same. Sounds like I got a bum Dock. Maybe I'll return it and try and find someone who makes a dock that has a remote control that actually WORKS!

Sounds like the dock's bad. I have the same one and get plenty of volume out of it - the same as from the headphone jack.

Nov 29, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 29
Just exchanged the Universal Dock for the older iPod Dock. Works like a champ now, and I get tons of volume out of the thing.

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 29
When I ordered my 5gen iPod, I also ordered the Universal Dock.

As far as I understand, "true" line out volume does not vary even if the volume on the iPod was adjusted.

But when I tried the line out of the Universal Dock, I was surprised that when I adjusted the volume on the iPod, the volume out of the line out also changed.

So, like many persons have experienced with their own Universal Docks, they felt the line out of the Universal Dock is not "true" line out.

But one time, I was able to make the line out on the Universal Dock function like a "true" line out. The volume out to my Altec Lansing CS21 speakers didn't vary no matter how I adjusted the volume on the iPod.

But other times, the Universal Dock line out was not functioning as a "true" line out.

I couldn't understand why, but I thought there must be some preconditions for the Universal Dock line out to function as a "true" line out.

And there is...

When I attach my CS21 speakers to the line out of the Universal Dock, and the speakers are already on, and then I attach my iPod and power it on, the line out functions as a "true" line out.

However, when my CS21 speakers are not yet powered on, and I attach my iPod to the Universal Dock, power it on, then power on the speakers, the line out of the Universal Dock doesn't function as a "true" line out

So, it seems there is some logic happening with the circuitry inside the Universal Dock. The Universal Dock can "detect" if the "load" ur attaching is "powered" or not, and the line out acts depending on it.

But, my mileage still varies. Sometimes, I still cannot get the line out to function as a "true" line out even if I power on the speakers first before I attach the iPod to the Universal Dock then turn the iPod on.

All in all, somewhat, I have an understanding of when the Universal Dock line out functions "true" or not.

I just hope it is more consistent...

Hope this info helps...

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 29
jobo_ph,

I have had a 5G + Univeral Dock + Headroom Micro for about a month now and I have NEVER seen the volume control not work. If I plug the iPod dock "line out" into the Micro while it is turned on, the iPod volume control is still active. So my experience is not consistent with yours.

I have a sendstation dock on order and I am curious if the line out will bypass the iPod volume control.

Regards,
Neil

Dec 6, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
jobo_ph,

I have had a 5G + Univeral Dock + Headroom Micro for about a month now and I have NEVER seen the volume control not work. If I plug the iPod dock "line out" into the Micro while it is turned on, the iPod volume control is still active. So my experience is not consistent with yours.

I have a sendstation dock on order and I am curious if the line out will bypass the iPod volume control.

Regards,
Neil

Actually your points are the same. You are both saying that the Universal Dock has a variable line out, controlled by the iPod's volume attenuation (not a good thing). The older docks (and the portable line outs like TURBODock, Sik, and Pocketdock) all have a "real" line out, that bypasses the volume control on the iPod - they just blast that LOUD line out at one volume, ready for an amp.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Actually your points are the same. You are both saying that the Universal Dock has a variable line out, controlled by the iPod's volume attenuation (not a good thing). The older docks (and the portable line outs like TURBODock, Sik, and Pocketdock) all have a "real" line out, that bypasses the volume control on the iPod - they just blast that LOUD line out at one volume, ready for an amp.

Wait, since the volume control is within the iPod, does that mean a 5G even with an older Dock still isn't as good sonically to a 4G iPod for instance because it has this volume attentuator between the Dock and Player? Ahh whatever, forget this crap I'm going to listen to music.

Dec 7, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Wait, since the volume control is within the iPod, does that mean a 5G even with an older Dock still isn't as good sonically to a 4G iPod for instance because it has this volume attentuator between the Dock and Player? Ahh whatever, forget this crap I'm going to listen to music.

it must be just the universal dock, because with the TurboDock it's an old school line out even with my 5G - i can spin the volume all i want, but it still comes out just one volume - LOUD for the amping hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back