iPod 5/5.5 gen Play/Pause does not work
Dec 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone dealt with their 5th generation play/pause button not working? In diagnostics mode it does not even work. Everything except for play/pause works. I've done a "restore" "resets" etc. etc. and nothing yet.

I've read something about connecting to a PC for 48 hours, but not sure what that does.

Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone has solved this. I'm afraid to send it in - I JUST recently got it as a refurb from woot.com and upgraded the HD to a 240gb unit. It was working and all the sudden it isn't. It's been sitting connected to a pc since then pretty much.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue. Open it up, disconnect the clickwheel cable and reconnect it. That might solve it. If it still doesn't work right, you can get a replacement clickwheel with cable off ebay for $6 shipped. As long as you're really careful opening it up, you should be fine. My iPod Photo had a similar problem, but unconnecting and reconnecting the clickwheel fixed it.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd say if you goiingto do surgery like that you might as well just replace it.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd say it's probably a hardware issue as well. However I don't think it's the click wheel. The click wheel is designed to react to the circular motion of your thumb. The actual "clicks" are done by small buttons on the logic board. As pictured here:
5GLB.jpg

Taking apart of 5/5.5G ipod is much easier than a 6G so you might want to try doing some surgery. If you do, here's what I'd recommend...

Turn the ipod off and click the hold button to the off position. Open the ipod using a putty knife or ideally, a plastic ipod opening tool (you can get them on Ebay). Be careful of the battery ribbon cables. You can disconnect them by flipping the dark colored clips upwards. It comes apart pretty easily from there. You will need a very small phillips head screw driver.

Power the ipod on and see if the lower button on the logic board works with your fingertip. Check all of the connections where any ribbon cable meets the logic board. If it doesn't work the logic board is toast. If it does work than something was misaligned and putting it back together will probably get you working again.

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 11
That is what I am most afraid of. I can defiantly feel the hardware click. Everything is aligned perfect. I've opened it up before (put in the 240 HD) but just didn't want to spend the 80 bucks on another mobo - especially since nobody guarantees which one you will get. I got a crappy ***** one from ifixit (refurb from china) that didnt work because it was most likely for a 30 gig (doesn't work with the 240 HD)

Anyways.. this sucks!

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what I am most afraid of. I can defiantly feel the hardware click. Everything is aligned perfect. I've opened it up before (put in the 240 HD) but just didn't want to spend the 80 bucks on another mobo - especially since nobody guarantees which one you will get. I got a crappy ***** one from ifixit (refurb from china) that didnt work because it was most likely for a 30 gig (doesn't work with the 240 HD)

Anyways.. this sucks!

Sorry, I didn't know your level of experience. I think you're right, the board is probably the culprit. And yes, that does suck! I'd try and score one on Ebay. Good Luck!

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say if you goiingto do surgery like that you might as well just replace it.

If it really is the logic board, that might be a good option, depending on what other used iPods are out there. Some serious issues can be fixed easily, sometimes for $10 or less + some elbow grease. Sometimes you can find semi-fucntional iPods with good logic boards for cheaper than just the logic board.

Or you could just take it to an Apple Store...
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think the apple store will help me at all with my 240 gig HD in there

It was a joke, hence the emoticon.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #11 of 11
If all else fails, you can just grab an iPod off eBay with a dead hard drive and transfer your 240GB one over. Would probably end up being easier than dealing with a mobo unless you enjoy tinkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back