iphone iem with mic for under $70?
Nov 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wordfool

100+ Head-Fier
Been doing some research here to find some new IEMs for my gf's iPhone and was curious if any recommendations jump out from folks. She mainly listens to alt rock and electronic and would appreciate an IEM that sets her foot tapping rather than something too analytical. Obviously a Mic is also essential.

I've gone through various reviews of the contenders, including joker's excellent roundup, and come to the conclusion that the MEElec M11+p might be a good bet, despite its bass "issues" and some poor Amazon reviews. Ruled out the nuforce due to build quality and microphonics issues, ruled out the ADDIEMs due to their dry, more analytical nature and ruled out the UE5vi since everyone seems to hate them! the Maximo iP-HS5 look interesting, but like the Nu-Force I'm not sure they would survive her rigorous travel schedule and less-than-gentle treatment.  

My question is... how bad is the M11+?! They seem to get mixed reviews here, ranging form "fun and engaging" to "I can't stand them". Also curious if folks think I do a lot better spending slightly more for the klipsch s4i, Thinksound TS02+ (which we no doubt pay a premium for its alleged eco-goodness) or the Ety MC3? Any other comments appreciated.

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Actually, for under $70 bucks I wouldn't consider the UE5vi a terrible purchase. They are warm and fun. I bought a pair for a friend of mine who listens to quite a bit of pop music, and she enjoyed them. (Anything is better than what most people have.) The one frustrating thing is that the vi has a mic but no volume / music controls though.

If you ruled out the ADDIEM for their dry, analytical sound, there isn't much sense in spending more for the MC3 which will have the same qualities.

Have you considered the M6? I have heard that it is sometimes better regarded than the M11. I bought a pair for a friend's iPod, but I haven't yet heard any feedback... heh

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 4
That's the big problem I have in trying to understand the MEElec offerings... some say the M6 or M9 are "better" than the M11 (often based on lower price), while other say the M11+ is much improved on the older M11... it's hard to tell what's better than what in that lineup. I did already order the M11+P for $55, which seemed like a decent deal for phones that don't get horrible reviews and are reportedly extremely well built. Might also get the UE5vi just to compare. 

Ultimately since she was perfectly happy with her stock earbuds for years before losing them I suspect any of the above will be a revelation for her
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back