iPhone Headphone Calibration App
Dec 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
I just heard of an app called Mimi that administers a hearing test and then exports a correction calibration that can be imported into the phone's Headphone Accommodations settings. Has anyone tried this yet? I plan to do it when the holiday rush is over. Sounds interesting.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 6
I didn't try but I have a few thoughts about the concept of correcting for hearing loss / hearing imperfections.

1. I would think that your brain adapts to your hearing imperfections. Plus, regardless of your brain doing that or not, you are now used to hear what you hear the way you hear it in normal life, if you correct for that while listening to music recordings then you wouldn't hear it as you normally would, would that really be an advantage? And maybe if your brain adapts again to that new situation you will dislike what you hear in normal life without that correction?
2. If your hearing has become less sensitive in certain frequency bands and you lift those to compensate, wouldn't there be a risk of accelerating the decline of your hearing? For example you have less or less good working hairs in your inner ear tuned to those frequency bands and by exposing them to those frequencies with increased intensity you damage even more of them?

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 6
My question is, does this correct for imbalances in the headphones themselves while it’s at it?

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 6
My question is, does this correct for imbalances in the headphones themselves while it’s at it?
Aha, yes that is an interesting question. Maybe it would even do that more than correcting for your hearing loss if indeed your brain already (partly) does the latter.

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Aha, yes that is an interesting question. Maybe it would even do that more than correcting for your hearing loss if indeed your brain already (partly) does the latter.
Another complication of hearing perception is that our perception does change at any given time. How measurable is it? I think there is some contention with that....but it is well known that our given health and stress levels during a given day will change our middle ear muscle tension and inner ear fluid dynamics/cellular sensitivity. What I also think interesting about memory is how much we attach with emotion/nostalgia. I now have a large screen 4K OLED TV and 7.1.4 surround system....while I can see the differences with given qualities of movies....I think it's also interesting that I can rewatch older movies I had only seen in stereo/19" CRT TV way back when. While it is nice I get the movie experience now, it's also interesting how much I got from watching an inferior form of analog SD pan and scan (IE the brain is also going to fill in information).

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 6
The rainy weather has one of my ears plugged up, so I haven’t tried this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back