iPhone 6s Sound Quality
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #166 of 881
All we can do now is tweet ad infinitum to Tim Cook, Cue,  Pschiller and fill bug reports in the hope that iPhone7 hpo gets back on track.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #167 of 881
All we can do now is tweet ad infinitum to Tim Cook, Cue,  Pschiller and fill bug reports in the hope that iPhone7 hpo gets back on track.

And it won't have 3 cirrus chips in it :D...lol joking aside. If it is shielding problems....then the only way is to open her up, and re-shield her lol.

iPhone 7 will be another year before it is here

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #170 of 881
  No FLAC support
No expandable storage
Chained to iTunes forever

here's a few thoughts for you :wink:

I rip all my music in FLAC and download / purchase FLAC only and store it on my NAS. I transfer them on my iPhone 6 plus using iMazing cos I hate and shun iTunes.
I got 128 GB on board and alternate between playing my FLAC files using KaiserTone and playing music via Tidal Hifi.
Not ever did I find myself not having enough storage space. My FLAC files play via the headphones out into my Westone UM-Pro 50.
I don't care if the headphones output is hires or not, what matters is I love the detailed and expansive sound and I'm enjoying my music ^_^.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #171 of 881
I'm glad you were able to make the iPhone work for you - although it seems like you did it in spite of Apple instead of because of Apple.  The deal breaker for me would be the lack of expandable storage, though, since my collection exceeds 320GB and would require SD card swapping.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #172 of 881
About the processor noise heard through sensitive hear phones.

It's very important to test this in as quite environment as possible, with sensitive earphones, not all will pick it up. At home I can easily hear the processor noise with my AKG K3003i on my iPhone 6s Plus 128GB Gold (TSMC) bought in Sweden. I've tried the same model in a store and it exhibits the same noise. The easiest ways I've found to hear the noise is to invoke Siri and just let her idle waiting for a command, while doing so swiping up the control center and adjusting the brightness slider back and forth, then you can clearly here the buzz. It's good to know that if you don't have any thing keeping the audio output active, like playing music with volume at least one step above zero, it will cut off the output and even my AKG won't sound the noise.

I've tried with my Westone 4r and they exhibit less noise than my AKG K3003. Also my Koss Porta Pro just faintly and AKG 701 nothing or barely a hint.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #173 of 881
About the processor noise heard through sensitive hear phones.

It's very important to test this in as quite environment as possible, with sensitive earphones, not all will pick it up. At home I can easily hear the processor noise with my AKG K3003i on my iPhone 6s Plus 128GB Gold (TSMC) bought in Sweden. I've tried the same model in a store and it exhibits the same noise. The easiest ways I've found to hear the noise is to invoke Siri and just let her idle waiting for a command, while doing so swiping up the control center and adjusting the brightness slider back and forth, then you can clearly here the buzz. It's good to know that if you don't have any thing keeping the audio output active, like playing music with volume at least one step above zero, it will cut off the output and even my AKG won't sound the noise.

I've tried with my Westone 4r and they exhibit less noise than my AKG K3003. Also my Koss Porta Pro just faintly and AKG 701 nothing or barely a hint.

Good info. I'll try those actions too, to see if I get the other noises.

So to confirm, if just listening to music and and not switching apps or envoking Siri, while diming the screen- you don't hear any noise (this includes sitting with music idle on pause but no other actions)?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #174 of 881
And it won't have 3 cirrus chips in it
biggrin.gif
...lol joking aside. If it is shielding problems....then the only way is to open her up, and re-shield her lol.

iPhone 7 will be another year before it is here

Is it possible that this shielding won't be an issue on the iPhone 7 because Apple wants to get ride of the headphone jack and go to a Lightening based headphone output? Forbes published an article on this in June 2014 which MacWorld picked up on a couple of weeks later. Thinner, lighter, better? More profitable with lower production costs and they get to sell more accessories. As a group we are irrelevant to Apple...

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #175 of 881
Checked with Shure SE535.

Heard exactly the buzzing noise that Lachlan videos showed. App switcher actions show it clear as light of day.

747490da580ec71d85022cc5354275ef.jpg

the iPhone 6 that was besides the 6s did not exhibit any noise while performing same actions.Nor my 8 months old iPhone 6 does. Never in my whole tenure have i heard any background noise that was not on the album.Actually the buzzing has been a first. Never heard it in iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s or iPhone 6. Hooray Tim Cook!

If you can not hear it power to you. If you can like i do...errr i'll pretend iPhone 6s never happened.

Bad shielding.

To me this is case closed. Wishful thinking (batches and stuff) won't change that bad shielding (As it's per design).

If you don't get tonality right, nothing else matters.

Did you ONLY hear it with the app switcher? This is the only time I can hear it. If it's only present during the app switcher changes, then I'm not convinced it's hardware/shielding. If Hardware it should happen at any stage of software navigation, including just sitting there with the music app up and on pause, with no music, while doing nothing else. Yet there is no noise in that situation. If it's only present when using the app switcher, wouldn't that be indicative of a software issue? A_rec, what do you think?

I heard it more clearly via app switcher but when doing some web surfing and app opening i could sense that i was not feeling the usual blackness. Bear in mind that i was testing in a store. I am sure that at home and with a sim card active there will be more offending instances to be found.

In any case i have written off this generation and i just pray for a return to form in 2016.

I could not justify myself using 500$ and 700$ state of the art monitors plugged to an amp that is not shielded properly. If i was an earpod guy sure, no problem.

Big disappontment for me, having being an iPhone hpo advocate since 2009.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #176 of 881
I'm not an EE but logically the shielding doesn't make sense to me, IF it doesn't do it with the music app paused and not making any software actions, like app switcher or surfing or whatever. If shielding is the issue, then it should do it without all those software interactions too. I could be wrong but just trying to stretch the logic out as to why it only does it when performing software interactions. At least that's what I'm reading every one is doing who hears it.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #177 of 881
I agree that this is far less than ideal but I don't get this using apps when listening to music. If I'm listening seriously that is all I am doing, listening. If there is noise from the phone internals when being used purely to play music, then that is a serious issue for me.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #178 of 881
If it's only present when using the app switcher, wouldn't that be indicative of a software issue? A_rec, what do you think?

As far as my experience goes, anything that makes the phone think about anything will cause some kind of burst of noise on the headphone jack. It seems that in particular the app switcher and the system settings tray in particular makes very distinct noises, but any background activity causes the noise. Streaming music in particular is the worst case scenario. I don't feel like its a software problem just because it isn't present on other previous models and it's so typical of EMI that I've heard on other devices, but who knows?

Generally it's possible to hear it make noises every now and then during quiet passages of music even if you aren't doing anything since the phone still processes things in the background (including the music file itself).  The basic noise floor isn't very clean either. Again as I've said from the beginning, it's not really a problem outdoors, but it is downright irritating in a quiet room with something like the IM02.

Apple has never made great claims about the audio performance of the phones but it just seems like an unfortunate regression for the series and seems like something they overlooked.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #180 of 881
I would expect that app switching, etc. causes CPU/GPU to run faster. Just listening to music is not very taxing on the system.

I wonder if anyone running iOS 9 on a previous model makes noise? I'm assuming not based on the conversation so far. So perhaps a hardware issue based on specific software input? Maybe it could still be tweaked in software depending on the root cause.

Edit: maybe it's like a computer USB port or headphone port picking up CPU noise. That would make sense, since software interaction causes the noise, and would have nothing to do with cellular or wifi transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back