iPhone 5 (and new Touch) has totally new dock connector - 'Lightning' - adapters available but no line-out
Oct 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #316 of 399
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just received my lighting adapter and I can confirm that anlogue line out is working.

Running it to my o2 atm.

That is great! Do you notice any differences in sound comparing to an old iPhone?

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #317 of 399
I echo rasmushorn...how does it comparte to the 30 pin old line out?

This looks like unveiling day since headphone out detailed measurements have also popped out.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #318 of 399
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just received my lighting adapter and I can confirm that anlogue line out is working.

Running it to my o2 atm.

Pictures please?
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #320 of 399
Quote:
Quick picture.

It doesn't really sound any different to my iPhone 4, but i think that it sounded great anyway.

Thanks for that. I guess it's not as big as I thought it might be (the adaptor), but I'd be nervous about using it on-the-go....putting pressure on it, you know? 

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #321 of 399
Quote:
Quick picture.

It doesn't really sound any different to my iPhone 4, but i think that it sounded great anyway.

Thanks for the picture and sound impressions. Please continue to share your impressions on the sound after some more listening 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #324 of 399
Quote:

Good to hear - and quite believable. In theory, the line out from the adapter might be good indeed. If it is a push-pull configuration, i.e. no DC blocking capacitors, and a decent CL Audio Codec is going directly into the 30 pin connector, it could be very clean. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #326 of 399
Quote:
Short answer: Hong Kong.  :)

(Even they are sold out for online ordering but apparently you can still buy it in person at the Apple Store.)

I am not in the area any longer. :^) Well, eventually they will be out in quantity.
Quote:
hey...that's a Wolfson DAC WM8533 in this lightning adapter, ABI research just revealed...good news la...
dt880smile.png

http://www.abiresearch.com/blogs/

So if you got the adapter, why couldn't you use the authentication chip to pull the digital signal? Adapt the adapter.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #327 of 399
Oct 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #329 of 399
I'm intrigued by the possibility that the adapter system might actually improve line out sound quality. They have more space to work with. If it a push-pull configuration (no DC blocking cap), it could be a very direct clean path to the pins.

I look forward to some measurements.

(It would be nice if they also come out with an adapter that terminates in 3.5mm jack.)

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #330 of 399
Quote:
I'm intrigued by the possibility that the adapter system might actually improve line out sound quality. They have more space to work with. If it a push-pull configuration (no DC blocking cap), it could be a very direct clean path to the pins.

I look forward to some measurements.

(It would be nice if they also come out with an adapter that terminates in 3.5mm jack.)

That would all be good. Obviously for some of us having a digital out would be nice but if a clean analog out is available, a small quality amp or something like the new RSA balanced amp would be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back