iPhone 4 + Unamped + Pop Music + Clear voice + Comfort = Which IEM?
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

happy2000hk

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for the best headphone value-wise for my current iPhone 4 + unamped setup.  Although I listen mostly to pop music, I don't like the bass to be too heavy.  I'd prefer better voice and instrument detail separation.

I've used the B&W P5's for about 2 weeks, but I had to return them because I couldn't stand turning the volume to at least 55% on my iPhone just to hear the full music.  I know my hearing would get worse if I kept going at that rate.

I am leaning towards the MTPC, but I'm not sure if it being paired with my setup has any major difference than if I was to use a Klipsch S4.  I am using Spotify for all my music listening, so the bit rate is around 320KB or less. 

I'm okay to spend around $250 on the headphones, but I don't want to be spending more if I won't get any huge benefits using an iPhone 4 unamped...Any thoughts?

I'm a newbie to Headfi and this is my first post, please take it easy on me =)

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 5
I just picked up a pair of Brainwavz B2 iem's. THey sound very good directly out of my 3GS. I listened to some Pandora and then to my lossless files and while the Pandora files were ok, you could hear the difference with lossless. They are not boomy at all in the bass...something which drives me crazy. Using the included comply tips they are very comfortable for long listening sessions.
Honestly for the price they are over achievers. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 5
The Klipsch S4 are very bass-heavy.

I don't see what the volume has to do with anything. It just defines how much power is being output. Different headphones have difference loudness levels at the same volume. An IEM at 40% can be more damaging than a full-sized headphone at 90%.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 5
RE272, E-Q7, Sony EX7550, UM3x, GR07, GR10, RE262 and HF5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back