iPad iPhone bit-perfect DLNA/UPnP wi-fi streaming 24bit or DSD files / high storage capacity / portability
Sep 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #32 of 249
Quote:
Odd, I was able to download Aceplayer pro on my ipad for free, could then get in on my iphone for free. 
Read through the manual for the Seagate Satellite, looks like a great portable solution in conjunction with flac player for an idevice. There have been mixed reviews on Amazon, some of which were addressed by the manufacturer. 
Hopefully you'll get if figured out in time for our trip to Negril over Christmas so I can enjoy a large library of hi-res Flac streaming from the deck of our villa to my chair on the beach :)

I do the hard work and you enjoy! Not fair 8)

Flac Player works only for local stored files.

Just tested AcePlayer Pro and it's not working 24 bit-perfect, it resamples to 16/44 and it's too slow to load files.
Exit, load 8player and back to 24 bit-perfect streaming and fast play.

Media:Connect too not working.
I'll keep searching since I want to use FLACs too.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #33 of 249
Thank you Thraex for updating. For my purpose, 8player sounds good enough. I may use 8player with a stationary NAS with UPnP in the future.

AcePlayer is actually the fastest SAMBA streaming app that I know of (I also tried OPlayer-which was slower and GoodPlayer-which did not work). Still AcePlayer Pro gives a 1-3 seconds delay between songs.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #34 of 249
Little update:
if the server converts FLACs to bit-perfect WAVs then 8player plays anything bit-perfect.
It's a solution for not converting all FLACs.

more players not working:
iMedia Control

Fusion Streams works just a bit: not many formats supported, ugly interface and managment (you can't exit a song until it's finished), but that's a confirmation not any player works bit-perfect but some do.

I'm still serching a DLNA/UPnP player that can do bit-perfect FLACs on the fly as iPeng/LMS.

The previous mention on HRT HeadStreamer will be delated on the OT since the user was using an old iOS for iPad without 20mV limits to USB out.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #36 of 249
Was playing around last night with some of the free flac players. Was running LMS as a DLNA server and it was working quite well with 8player and AcePlayer Pro. Was not using an external DAC, so I can't confirm what bit rate was being used. 
The Seagate Satellite GoFlex/ 8player combo would be a good travel setup. 
I wonder if there's some way to get a macbook to transmit files via it's own wifi network to stream to a portable device in a similar fashion. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 249
Quote:
I wonder if there's some way to get a macbook to transmit files via it's own wifi network to stream to a portable device in a similar fashion. 

Check into StreamToMe (iDevice) and ServeToMe (computer). I've used it on a LAN, but it's supposed to work over the internet or 3G wireless as well.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #38 of 249
Quote:

Check into StreamToMe (iDevice) and ServeToMe (computer). I've used it on a LAN, but it's supposed to work over the internet or 3G wireless as well.

StreamToMe is not DLNA/UPnP, it must be used with its dedicated server to stream to IPad, so rouled out.

Thanks to zzffnn and me, I've paid, downloaded and tested any possible DLNA/UPnP player, but 3 more left...

Most purchased apps are not working 24 bit-perfect and some that works don't supports FLACs.
Best interfaces and features (like playng in the background or auto play next) are from apps that downsamples any file to 16/44.
None are without bugs, but best 24 bit-perfect all formats apps are free, it's a shame to have paid so many apps that don't work, they're generally crap.
I'm writing to all these stupids programmers to report tons of bugs, basic functions not working and such, I can't understand why Apple approved some apps like these.
Add that some servers sends metadata info in a different way to the each app and you'll understand how hard is to find a good solution.
But I'm not far away.

I'm sad I've not received any help from all but a few forum members, I'm thinking why I do all the work and spend my money just to post my results if nobody cares, I'll keep my findings for myself and a few members.

I'll PM the app list only to people who contribute from now on, OT will not be updated anymore, it's already a good start as is.

In a couple of days I'll have GoFlex Satellite in my hands and I'll find out if it's working, PM if you're interested.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #39 of 249
^ I suggest to support Thraex, if you are looking for something similar. He has done quite some hard work, which takes lots of time and money. For example, Many app's claim to stream and play flac, but you will find that they actually don't do that well enough for actual daily use. 

I have been in the same path. Have done lots of research/reading/testing, bought 3 non-free app's and found only one app that meets my minimal requirements (i.e., AcePlayer Pro, which does flac streaming / playing back, auto next, decent speed in skipping / rewinding, but it still has lot of bugs). I figured that I am not as picky as Thraex, so whatever passes him would work for me.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #40 of 249
Thraex, I certainly appreciate your work on this. Please keep me up to date with your findings. I'm particularly interested in seeing if the Seagate Satellite works well in conjunction with one of the flac players. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #41 of 249
Quote:
Thraex, I certainly appreciate your work on this. Please keep me up to date with your findings. I'm particularly interested in seeing if the Seagate Satellite works well in conjunction with one of the flac players. 

Of course I'll PM you!

I'm no more so confident GoFlex will work as I wish since I've any kind of player apps (nearly 30), none is perfect and each works with a specific server even if they're all DLNA/UPnP.

I understand Apple approved some apps just to sell them, but neither the DLNA/UPnP standard hepls.

It's a total mess.

"We" will see.

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #42 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've any kind of player apps (nearly 30), none is perfect and each works with a specific server even if they're all DLNA/UPnP.

:) That was my conclusion as well, with those three SAMBA and flac streaming apps that I tried. You will never know unless you try them all. My god, you tried 30 already?!

That is also why I support Thraex here. He worked really hard there. It is a lot of work to try each and every configuration/app.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #43 of 249
Quote:
:) That was my conclusion as well, with those three SAMBA and flac streaming apps that I tried. You will never know unless you try them all. My god, you tried 30 already?!

That is also why I support Thraex here. He worked really hard there. It is a lot of work to try each and every configuration/app.

I have nearly 30 but 1/2 were easy to test (without even considering 24 bits):
no stream to iPad, play only local files, only one file loaded at time and it still needs 20/30 seconds, crash-freeze, unable to detect any server, one even disconnect internet on my router...
blink.gif

My favorite in the bad sense is AnyPlayerHD, specs on App Store like: play any format to your iPad, ALAC/FLAC support, DLNA/UPnP,...anything I was searching.
You pay, then you browse, launch any audio format and a warning appears: "streaming audio not supported"
angry_face.gif

I've already emailed the programmer a thing or two...

I'm thinking to program an app named iAnyMediaToAnythingYouLike, 44,99 euros so Apple is happy, first you pay then I'll send you any pictures taken during my holidays anywhere, any countries supported and no downsample of anything! In-app purchase needed to unlock the full potential of DLNA (Digital Library Not Avaiable) and UPnP (Until Pay no Photos) support!
Limited time offer: subscribe for only 39,99 today and wait until it's launched, you'll be impressed I swear!

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #44 of 249
Sep 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #45 of 249
Quote:
For the Patriot Gauntlet Node or similar portable NAS, maybe there's a possibility to install OpenFilter http://openfiler.com/ (NAS open software) with LMS (istructions here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/OpenFilerInstallationGuide ) to use iPeng, but since I'll not buy PGN and it's not easy to do, I'll not test it, anyone want to try and report back here?

Sorry, Thraex. I can not do it either. I read that wiki instruction, it is waaaaay beyond my proficiency of using computers (I cannot program). My PGN works fine so far, I do not want to damage it with a hack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back