iPad Air
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ktmracer12345

100+ Head-Fier
I've searched quite a bit for info on the iPad Air. It seems like there is a lack of info on using it as a source.

I'm currently using an iPad Air playing either Spotify or FLAC files. This outputs via the headphone port into an O2 amp. From here I usually use my AKG Q701's, but I also have a pair of Etymotic Kids that I use as well.

I'm trying to figure out what do get next. I've been looking at getting a pair of HiFiMAN HE-400's or splurging and getting a pair of Audeze LCD-2's. The problem is that I'm not familiar enough with this hobby to know if I am making the wrong upgrade. Is my source good enough to warrant spending money on the new cans, or should I look into upgrading my source first? Would I be better of using a computer and ODAC?

My music tastes are fairly broad. In any given day they will range from Hans Zimmer to Pink Floyd to Chuck Berry. I even throw in some instrumental piano every once in a while.

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 2
There's nothing wrong with the Air as a source, assuming you're bypassing internal DAC by using the Camera Connection USB kit or a MFi Lightning Adapter to go to your external Amp/DAC.

I run my M100s via the Vamp Verza with the MFi cable out of my Air and my Mini Retina all the time and it sounds fantastic.  I also had a C5D that I did the same thing, only with the CCK instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back