Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #378 of 476
anyone here who has heard or owns the HD800S, does the Audeze MM-500 have more or less detail and which of the 2 do you like better if you can only own one?

A friend of mine and I swapped my MM-500 for his HD800S for about a week or so.

You're asking a tough question. What does detail really mean anyway? Both headphones are going to give you gobs of detail.

Really, you just have to listen to both for yourself. I can understand why one would be interested in both of them, but they are just different.

But if it's helpful, I would say the MM-500 has a more tangible sense of detail. The HD800S has more ambitious sound staging, and maybe as a result, the detail is a little more spread out, which takes away from its immediacy and tangibility, if that makes sense?

I personally think both headphones are more than transparent enough that the rest of your system (amp, source, etc.) will have a lot to say when it comes to pulling out the detail each are capable of.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #379 of 476
anyone here who has heard or owns the HD800S, does the Audeze MM-500 have more or less detail and which of the 2 do you like better if you can only own one?
I own both. HD800 is more detailed (better sense of microdynamics, textural resolve, small cues) and it's the one I'd own if I could only own one.

BUT...

If EQ is disallowed in this hypothetical, then MM-500 is the easy pick. Much better stock tonality.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 9, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #380 of 476
Keep the comparisons coming. I have a HD8XX and looking to get planar and have the MM-500 in my list. Why I like the MM concept is the midrange tuning, rolled off treble and soundstage that are polar opposite to the HD. I envision that for my listening sessions it will be like choosing either cake or ice cream for dessert.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #381 of 476
IMG_4556.jpg

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #382 of 476
Really enjoying them so far but they’re considerably different in sound sig to the Audeze house sound.

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #384 of 476
A&K KANN Max is a lovely pairing. This is the nicest synergy I've heard on the MM so far. The Meze Copper matches the gunmetal perfectly as well which is a super nice aesthetic bonus.

IMG_4568.jpg

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #385 of 476
How would either of you compare the two? I just switched back to the HD800S after several months of mostly using the MX4, LCDX '21, and HD600 and curious what I stand to gain from an MM500
Honestly, I'd compare them more to the HD600 than the HD800S. The HD800S is ambitious from a soundstage perspective. The HD600 and MM-500 aren't.

Now this isn't to say the HD600 and MM-500 sound the same -- tonally/timbre are very different. The MM-500 doesn't have the sweet seductive midrange the HD600 does. But it has a more cohesiveness to its timbre (even if it can have a slight artificial tint to it, depending on the setup), the raw definition is something I really enjoy. And unlike the HD800S, the MM-500 presents that definition in a very focused, immediate way.

But really, with the level of performance we're talking about, only you can determine for yourself if what any of these offer is important to you. It's all excellent, the question is what type of excellence do you prefer.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #386 of 476
Honestly, I'd compare them more to the HD600 than the HD800S. The HD800S is ambitious from a soundstage perspective. The HD600 and MM-500 aren't.

Now this isn't to say the HD600 and MM-500 sound the same -- tonally/timbre are very different. The MM-500 doesn't have the sweet seductive midrange the HD600 does. But it has a more cohesiveness to its timbre (even if it can have a slight artificial tint to it, depending on the setup), the raw definition is something I really enjoy. And unlike the HD800S, the MM-500 presents that definition in a very focused, immediate way.

But really, with the level of performance we're talking about, only you can determine for yourself if what any of these offer is important to you. It's all excellent, the question is what type of excellence do you prefer.
For the most part I agree with your statement. That said the MM-500 out resolves the 800s and destroys it for bass response, timbre and tonality.

The MM sounds closer to the 600 series for midrange and if Sennheiser made a planar the MM is probably how it would sound.

But again the MM absolutely destroys any of the 600 series in all categories and rightfully so for its price point.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #387 of 476
An issue when comparing the HD800 to the MM-500 or other Audeze headphones is that the HD800 does a different style and presentation of soundstage in order to get that expansive soundstage. The big issue I have with the HD800 is that everything is farther away. Even the sounds that are supposed to be intimate and near. If everything is farther away there can be no near. And that's what happens with the HD800. In contrast, the MM-500 does near and intimate imaging really well. The MM-500 (and other Audeze LCD series) also does the mid distance imaging and imaging precision really well. But the far sounds and far imaging just isn't as far as what you get with the HD800. So there is a tradeoff. You can get the HD800 if you want all far and no near. Or you can get the MM-500 (or other Audeze LCD series) and have wonderful near imaging and mid distance imaging, but the far won't be as far. To me the HD800 and Audeze headphones are apples and oranges in terms of imaging and soundstage. To compare the two without addressing those differences doesn't help people make the right choice for their preferences.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #388 of 476
Nothing stages like the HD800 or 800S and comparing any other headphones to them is really hard. The MM is built for a totally different purpose as it’s primarily a mixing tool. I can see someone having both in a collection as they are pretty opposite in sound signature.

For my preferences I index heavily for timbre and bass response so the HD800 would be one of my last choices in the sub $2000 category as it’s pretty horrible for both. That said if I was really into competitive gaming the 800S is phenomenal. I would never use it for anything else so it’s a hard purchase decision.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #389 of 476
For the most part I agree with your statement. That said the MM-500 out resolves the 800s and destroys it for bass response, timbre and tonality.

The MM sounds closer to the 600 series for midrange and if Sennheiser made a planar the MM is probably how it would sound.

But again the MM absolutely destroys any of the 600 series in all categories and rightfully so for its price point.
Highly, emphatically disagree.

MM-500 may have more speed and better tonality, but HD800 is more resolving of microdetail, more textured, more dynamic, with not nearly as rubbery of a timbre.

HD600 is better tuned, more comfortable, more dynamic, and more textured than MM-500. Again, the only thing MM-500 has over it is speed and bass extension.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #390 of 476
Highly, emphatically disagree.

MM-500 may have more speed and better tonality, but HD800 is more resolving of microdetail, more textured, more dynamic, with not nearly as rubbery of a timbre.

HD600 is better tuned, more comfortable, more dynamic, and more textured than MM-500. Again, the only thing MM-500 has over it is speed and bass extension.
All good. We all hear things a bit differently. The HD800 to my ears has a super lean and almost tinny timbre. Nothing sounds real on it. It’s also basically completely void of bass and quite bright to the point of sibilance unless played on tubes. I think it’s got a perception of being more resolving because of its spicy treble extension.

The HD600 is not a resolving headphone and competes under the $500 range but is out resolved by the Sundara. I’d agree that it’s more comfortable and has better dynamic punch than the MM but FR between both is nearly identical so they definitely share the same lane in their tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back