Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #31 of 1,677
and the 3600 is CRAZY for the off the shelf parts listed. This is the exact reason our hobby gets made fun of. We need to yell at manufacturers creating uber-niche products without stats to back up the uber-niche price. If anyone buys it -- cool to be you, but sincerely there are so many better ways to spend $3600, even in audio.

just my 2 cents...
Off the shelf parts just don’t hand shake and soldered itself in any organized and engineered way to be a products. If they were in fact that easy, you can go out and buy parts, then DIY. I am a huge DIY person, and I have made myself many things. Most of the time they are always more expensive than if it was to be made by a big manufacturers who has buying power and productions

So, with all due respects, I respectfully disagree with your statements about off the shelves parts and being expensive. R&D isn’t cheap, productions isn’t cheap, even with your own labors and free R&D, nothing comes cheap as you don’t have the buying power either.

The M30 sitting at $3,600 is with good reasons, you have to account in the “transportations, the dealers markup, the margins, the warranty, the spare parts....etc...”. Even @Shanling rep here posting, he needs to get paid, and the sponsor of advertisements throughout the internet....etc....

Finally, $3,600 is still cheaper than many All in one or a Stack. Shanling produced a killer M8, I am so sure the M30 will also be great, not to mention Shanling did make many quality desktop many years ago.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #32 of 1,677
i have m6 pro. fantastic dap well built, with great sound, price and firmware. honestly i don´t understand this product: the amp is op based. i buy 5 18650 sony vtc5 or 6 for 20€(for my electronic cigarette)

Off the shelf parts just don’t hand shake and soldered itself in any organized and engineered way to be a products. If they were in fact that easy, you can go out and buy parts, then DIY. I am a huge DIY person, and I have made myself many things. Most of the time they are always more expensive than if it was to be made by a big manufacturers who has buying power and productions

So, with all due respects, I respectfully disagree with your statements about off the shelves parts and being expensive. R&D isn’t cheap, productions isn’t cheap, even with your own labors and free R&D, nothing comes cheap as you don’t have the buying power either.

The M30 sitting at $3,600 is with good reasons, you have to account in the “transportations, the dealers markup, the margins, the warranty, the spare parts....etc...”. Even @Shanling rep here posting, he needs to get paid, and the sponsor of advertisements throughout the internet....etc....

Finally, $3,600 is still cheaper than many All in one or a Stack. Shanling produced a killer M8, I am so sure the M30 will also be great, not to mention Shanling did make many quality desktop many years ago.
in my opinion this product is a dap in a different package. m8 has 4497 akm, this 4497

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #33 of 1,677

and I respect that. A difference of opinion. We all justify this stuff differently / come from different backgrounds of expertise.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #34 of 1,677
Op-Amp or discrete Amp architecture doesn’t matter. What matter is the implementations. Op-Amp based most likely and always have bad reputations is because they are couple $ for a handfuls, and then makers just toss it in with minimal design to function (all purposes, including current controls, bandwidth , PLL , feedbacks, buck conversions...etc...not just sound alone)

Wafer technologies, transistors and resistors printed on a wafer have 0.005% precision tolerances that can not be matched by any discrete transistors or resistors (highest is 0.5% resistor and 5% transistors - the reason why many things can tolerate within 5%). This is the main technical reason why DAC converter with IC based is always going to out perform any discrete in any tests

The differences is that discrete Amp were designed from the ground up with some goals in mind (Sound alone), and hence it became a much more throughout design for the end goals, once met, they have better performances. This is no longer true with many makers aiming to please for high performances in audio departments, especially someone who cater toward acoustic tuning like Shanling. No one would engineer a discrete Amp to do the job of voltage/current control for charging purposes alone either lol!

F
or all that said, Modular design ! Shanling will surely have new Amp module with discrete amplifications for the future.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #36 of 1,677
Dude dont ruin the fun lol go get samsung S21 if you need more ram 😜

This is is a BomB wow.
Shanling is on fire I love the M30 concept and idea and this is the future. Cant wait to have one my self!
I am so excited about it.
Sorry to say Tiger, this looks like a Frankenstein device trying to be all things to all people without actually excelling at any one particular function.

Unless you need to run desktop headphones with a battery-powered device, I don't quite see the benefit of this over far better desktop amp/dac solutions for far less money. Also, if you're only using IEMs, you're already better off with Shanling's own M8 for $2000 less!

Sure they'll offer better components over time, but they're not going to be free - if anything they'll cost even more than standalone devices except you'll be limited to using them with the M30. I'm all for innovation a new ideas, but I see nothing innovative about this at all - merely a company trying to meld two very different use cases into one device that serves neither.

In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), this is what happens when you put a bunch of people in a room and try to make one device that suits everyone. Or, as the adage goes, a camel is what you get when you design a horse by committee. 0.02. YMMV etc. etc.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #37 of 1,677
Op-Amp or discrete Amp architecture doesn’t matter. What matter is the implementations. Op-Amp based most likely and always have bad reputations is because they are couple $ for a handfuls, and then makers just toss it in with minimal design to function (all purposes, including current controls, bandwidth , PLL , feedbacks, buck conversions...etc...not just sound alone)

Wafer technologies, transistors and resistors printed on a wafer have 0.005% precision tolerances that can not be matched by any discrete transistors or resistors (highest is 0.5% resistor and 5% transistors - the reason why many things can tolerate within 5%). This is the main technical reason why DAC converter with IC based is always going to out perform any discrete in any tests

The differences is that discrete Amp were designed from the ground up with some goals in mind (Sound alone), and hence it became a much more throughout design for the end goals, once met, they have better performances. This is no longer true with many makers aiming to please for high performances in audio departments, especially someone who cater toward acoustic tuning like Shanling. No one would engineer a discrete Amp to do the job of voltage/current control for charging purposes alone either lol!

F
or all that said, Modular design ! Shanling will surely have new Amp module with discrete amplifications for the future.
i know all this but you understand what i mean. who modded amp8?LOL

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #38 of 1,677
In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), this is what happens when you put a bunch of people in a room and try to make one device that suits everyone. Or, as the adage goes, a camel is what you get when you design a horse by committee. 0.02. YMMV etc. etc.

hit the nail on the head. cheers.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #39 of 1,677
Modular design is a neat idea but until different modules are available it's not really a modular device :) In my opinion it should be launched as a chassis only and with all kind of different modules available so every person can customize it for it's liking. As it is now you need to pay even for modules that you don't need or want.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #40 of 1,677
Now, the only thing that pops in my mind is this. Modular designs, with DAC, Amp...etc....specifically and uniquely fitting this M30 chassis alone. You lose all flexibility to account in other devices/brands/buyers/sellers as if you were to compare to a simple stack.

For example, a stack of C9, and SP2000. You can always sell SP2000 and buy an SP10,000 if it came out in the future, or Sell C9 and buy a C99 later then. But with M30, you lose 90% of the ability to sell on a used market. That is something to think about

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #41 of 1,677
Now, the only thing that pops in my mind is this. Modular designs, with DAC, Amp...etc....specifically and uniquely fitting this M30 chassis alone. You lose all flexibility to account in other devices/brands/buyers/sellers as if you were to compare to a simple stack.

For example, a stack of C9, and SP2000. You can always sell SP2000 and buy an SP10,000 if it came out in the future, or Sell C9 and buy a C99 later then. But with M30, you lose 90% of the ability to sell on a used market. That is something to think about

Let's say that you want to buy a new module on sabre dac or better oled screen (I assume they can be available) then your current modules were a waste of money because everyone else that has M30 already have the same modules.....

Modular designs could be cool but if there would be ecosystem of many compatibile devices across different manufacturers so you could mix and match like you can now with pc computers.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #42 of 1,677
That's the idea...instead buying to others. You have to buy it to them.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #43 of 1,677
but you get 4GB of ram!
For $3600 - I would expect 4TB of internal storage! :scream:
(in addition to the humongous 4GB of DRAM. welcome to 2011 :wink:)

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #45 of 1,677
For $3600 - I would expect 4TB of internal storage! :scream:
(in addition to the humongous 4GB of DRAM. welcome to 2011 :wink:)
Should have said that to SP2000 LOL!! Let’s face it, we all want cheap bucks, top of the line performers. But life isn’t about that, it will always find a way to balance itself out.

Would be nice to buy a $2 lottery and win the top performances of $960Millions, but you know how that goes. The amount you win is the amount that many losers have lost :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back