Introducing MOMENTUM 4 Wireless
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #211 of 689
iOS has a system-wide volume limiter. Settings > Sounds and Haptics > Headphone Safety > Reduce loud sounds
Thanks for that reminder and well worth activating. I double-checked and I do have that set on already, and I should clarify the loud volume connection issues would happen when connecting to non-iOS devices. I feel like I’m missing something in my setup to prevent this from happening.

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #212 of 689
Oddly, I have to disable that limiter when using the momentum 4 as I have to use them at 80% volume just to get about 65 db. Not sure what's going on but they just don't get loud from my phone. I have to set the limiter to 80 dB max when using Sony XM3 / XM4 because their crazy app slams the volume to 100% every few days and those headphones can easily do > 80 db.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #214 of 689
Quick update, as I've been testing the MOMENTUM 4 Wireless with a long USB-C to USB-C cable (Anker).

The M4W is indeed recognized by my MacBook as a core audio device (screenshot attached). In its system settings, I can choose the Bluetooth or USB pathway for both audio input and output. It works great as an audio interface and can also take advantage of the M4W's touchpad control gestures over USB (think the AVRCP commands over Bluetooth). Example: while streaming from TIDAL I was able to control play/pause, track skip (ahead and back), and raise/lower volume on the touchpad. It's instantaneous and intuitive. Auto-pause (when removing the headphones) paused TIDAL as well. Of course, the headphone's native touchpad functions are 100% functional (adaptive noise cancellation, for example).

Changing between TIDAL's sound quality modes indeed produced an audible difference through the M4W's internal DAC as well with HIFI mode sounding exceptionally more detailed and full versus NORMAL, for example. You can listen while charging this way, too.

[edit] While listening to TIDAL with the USB-C cable plugged in, then removing the USB cable mid-song, automatically defaulted back to the Bluetooth connection with the MacBook, resuming where I was in the song with only a momentary pause. I presume this may not work the same on all devices, but was pretty slick and would come in quite handy when watching a long movie, for example.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 6.46.13 PM.png
Can I check when connecting using USB, do you turn-on the headphone or do you turn-off the headphone?

Sep 9, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #216 of 689
@nuxos try to disable Sidetone. I had the same problem with my Jabra 85t. Sidetone is good for a more natural feel during calls but along with your own voice it can feed outside noise through the mics. My Jabra doesn't disable ANC when Sidetone off. Don't know about M4.

Indeed it was Sidetone!

I had a call earlier and put the option at 0%, ANC was working perfectly during all the call.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #217 of 689
Hm, I really like them, but I am contemplating returning them. The small earcups I can live with, the instable app (altough I think on iOS it seems not to be that bad?), the wind noise too, but the creaking is really, REALLY annoying, even if it only happens when I turn my head. Especially if I have no idea if it affects its lifespan… Found a reddit thread where several people have the same issue.
I got mine from Amazon and initiated an exchange. It won't get here until mid September though. The creaking is louder when ANC is on.

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #221 of 689
Do the momentum 4's fit snugly on the head? I.e. if you have a medium size or even small sized head you can look downwards and they won't slide out of position?

And are the Momentum 4's generally brighter or darker sounding than the Sony XM4'5 or XM5's?

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #222 of 689
They fit pretty snuggly if you collapse the cup arms in. They XM5 fell off my head no matter what.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to return my momentum 4 due to them crunching my ears and also generating a really bad hot spot on the top of my head (similar to XM5, whereas XM3/4 are OK). Too bad about the fit/weight because I have no other complaints about them.

The Momentum 4s are quite a bit brighter than all the XM3/4/5. I think they are the best sounding ANC headphone I've heard especially if doing direct USB-c from a computer or iPad. MX3/4 have punchier bass, but the bass feels more elevated in the Momentum 4 and actually felt a bit intrusive into the midrange until I did like -5 dB.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #223 of 689
The Momentum 4s are quite a bit brighter than all the XM3/4/5. I think they are the best sounding ANC headphone I've heard especially if doing direct USB-c from a computer or iPad. MX3/4 have punchier bass, but the bass feels more elevated in the Momentum 4 and actually felt a bit intrusive into the midrange until I did like -5 dB.

Did you mean XM3/4 have punchier bass (or is MX3/4 another headphone)?

And, if you meant XM3/4 - so those have punchier bass but still less in overall quantity than Momentum 4? Is that one of those situations where it has deeper sub-bass, so the bass feels more present, yet still not as punchy as something with a more mid-bass hump?

So Momentum 4 has more bass and more treble than XM3/4? What does that mean, that the Momentum 4 is V-shaped in frequency response?

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #224 of 689
Speaking of iOS dB limiter, does someone here have measured the SPL and compare it to iOS’ guesstimate? I find that iOS overestimates by a lot

If you mean the "headphones level" indicator, then it's only really accurate with Apple's (or Beat's) own HPs. You may deactivate it with other HPs / BT devices in the BT menus.

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #225 of 689
Have you ever tried the Sony xm5 or apples headset just for comparison

Thanks

Think I’ll Give these a miss. I think as the creaking in The ear cups is not good as I have heard many with the same problems.
@meridius No I haven't. I am not a huge wireless guy. I skipped a Senn series and didn't get the Momentum 3 so I wanted to see what all of the hype was about with the 4's. I kind of have gone down the wireless earbud rabbit hole, but not over ears. My need/usage for an over ear wireless is almost zero. My initial impressions Momentum 4 will not become a full-blown review, unfortunately. I added a couple of points to the OG post Sennheiser Momentum 4 Impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back