Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Dec 2, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,838 of 4,765
  The "normal" version don't have the digital +6db ,only has the +12db on DSD ,is not the same has the high gain versus low gain here the diference is +15 dbu

Just to confirm.  The bold is what the Standard version has, right?

DSD Gain: -12db, -6db, 0db, +6db, +12db
Digital Gain: normal, +6db

If that is the case, the Diana can definitely fine tune the gain power much better.

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,839 of 4,765
Great first impression @Jalo! For a quick hissing test, turn the volume all the way down to zero and hit play. See what happens then
wink.gif

Twister, this is very interesting.  When I turn the volume down to zero, it is totally quiet for either high or lo gain setting.  It is like turning off your LPG.  However, if I turn the volume up to 1, I can then start hearing a little hissing but only if it is in high gain and/or if my Digital Gain is set to +6db.  If you can hear anything at zero, that is clearly some tuning differences between the two versions.

By the way, what is DSD gain and what does it do?

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #2,840 of 4,765

By the way, what is DSD gain and what does it do?

A lot of DSD files are a lower volume than your typical mp3 flac etc. files. The DSD gain function just gives you the option to normalize that a bit.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,841 of 4,765

A lot of DSD files are a lower volume than your typical mp3 flac etc. files. The DSD gain function just gives you the option to normalize that a bit

Thanks, I have a mixture of DSD and Hires and Red book so when I have a listening session I tend to jump around to different format but I never seem to notice the DSD files are of lower volume.

Dec 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2,842 of 4,765
Well,I recieved my Diana Edition and immediately copied 500 Gb to my San Disk Extreme Pro card. I put my music in folders consisting of DSD, Hires, and Red Book. After a data base update, all the files appeared in folders and sub folders without problems. My first test was connecting my HD800 to the Diana in high gain and then listened to some classical and vocal pieces that normally require good wattage to shine. My immediate impression and relief was that the music was played with sufficient power and authority. Granted that I would not say it is comparable or equal to a high end desktop amp like a woo or a Cavali but it is unmistakable and truly amazing that a little amp in the size of a deck of playing card is capable of driving the HD800 to enjoyable listening level. I have no doubt that Joe's assertion that the Diana can drive the Abyss or any other fullsize cans is not an exaggeration.

Next I listened with the Andromeda as I have questions from forum members about hissing and the Andro is a sensitive phone. What I notice is very interesting. First and let's get it out of the way, yes there is hissing from the pairing. However it only seems to become more apparent as the volume passes 40 to 50 range. Also, I tried to listen to different formats like DSD, hires and redbook to see if there is a different and there is not but at the same time I notice that the hissing is not systemwide meaning that at the same volume level some songs have more hissing but with some pieces the hissing is hardly noticeable and many times if I pause the playing, there is no hissing heard as well as once the music start playing the hissing will be gone. Regardless of the hissing, I find the Andro to be highly lively and enjoyable on the LGP. Next I will try to pair my other cans and report back.

I am still trying to learn about the Diana's tuning and as I do not have the standard edition, I do not know what is different with my version. Can you guys that have the standard version tell me in the setup>Play setting manual, do you have the two following settings and are they the same?

I have two very nice daps in the AK380cu and AK240, but the addition of the LPG Diana allows me covers the full size can area very well and the sound is sufficiently different from the other two that I do not feel a significant overlapping. I will continue to learn about this version and report back.

If you watch this unboxing/review video from about 11:30 he goes through the interface - not sure if you can spot any differences.  

I think I read somewhere that the Diana volume goes up to 135 instead of 100?  Or something...

I mean, if the Diana is optimised for JPS planar phones, can the firmware tell the amp to run in a more current driven mode than voltage to better suit those 'phones?  Dunno.  

Joe would be the man to answer that question, but AFAIK, this player was made to go hand in hand with the new JPS Diana phones that are coming out.  Just worked out that the player was ready before the headphones.  He has also been demoing the Abyss plugged straight into this player (which is what I intend to do) so that's why I bought it.  Have to go and buy a memory card/adapter so I can try it out.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,843 of 4,765
Well,I recieved my Diana Edition and immediately copied 500 Gb to my San Disk Extreme Pro card. I put my music in folders consisting of DSD, Hires, and Red Book. After a data base update, all the files appeared in folders and sub folders without problems. My first test was connecting my HD800 to the Diana in high gain and then listened to some classical and vocal pieces that normally require good wattage to shine. My immediate impression and relief was that the music was played with sufficient power and authority. Granted that I would not say it is comparable or equal to a high end desktop amp like a woo or a Cavali but it is unmistakable and truly amazing that a little amp in the size of a deck of playing card is capable of driving the HD800 to enjoyable listening level. I have no doubt that Joe's assertion that the Diana can drive the Abyss or any other fullsize cans is not an exaggeration.

Next I listened with the Andromeda as I have questions from forum members about hissing and the Andro is a sensitive phone. What I notice is very interesting. First and let's get it out of the way, yes there is hissing from the pairing. However it only seems to become more apparent as the volume passes 40 to 50 range. Also, I tried to listen to different formats like DSD, hires and redbook to see if there is a different and there is not but at the same time I notice that the hissing is not systemwide meaning that at the same volume level some songs have more hissing but with some pieces the hissing is hardly noticeable and many times if I pause the playing, there is no hissing heard as well as once the music start playing the hissing will be gone. Regardless of the hissing, I find the Andro to be highly lively and enjoyable on the LGP. Next I will try to pair my other cans and report back.

I am still trying to learn about the Diana's tuning and as I do not have the standard edition, I do not know what is different with my version. Can you guys that have the standard version tell me in the setup>Play setting manual, do you have the two following settings and are they the same?

I have two very nice daps in the AK380cu and AK240, but the addition of the LPG Diana allows me covers the full size can area very well and the sound is sufficiently different from the other two that I do not feel a significant overlapping. I will continue to learn about this version and report back.

Nice review , i hope you enjoy it to the max

How its compare to full desktop amp in resolution and sound stage ?

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,844 of 4,765
guys what is the latest firmware version ?
today i received v5.0.1.8 firmware from http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk
which is  smaller in size  than the one i got from here ..

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,846 of 4,765
Hello Guys,

I would like to share my rant against Lotoo, at least against their marketing manager, who is the guy you will see at most events.

As an introduction, I would like to state that I am one of the early adopters and biggest fans of the Lotoo Paw Gold. I have been praising and supporting this product all over the forums.

At the beginning Lotoo was completely unknown and people just made fun of the blingy looks. The people at Lotoo were always kind and informative, I event went to visit their offices and workshop. They showed me the Titanium edition which I liked a lot and asked if I could get a trade in for my LPG. At that time the product was not out yet, so they asked to wait until it was released on massdrop.

After a few months it didn't happen so I contacted the marketing manager to enquire on the possibility to upgrade. He is promised he would do it for me, and didn't mention costs (which I would have accepted if reasonable).

After this initial promise, no news, and I chased the guy around every week for months, and he either didn't answer, or always had good excuses : I am at a show, I have not stock, I am on vacation, maybe next week...

After a while, I really got pissed at the utter lack of respect of this guy for one of their earliest customers and supporters and told him so. He just answered a one liner : are you willing to pay. I really got pissed because he never mentioned it. I said I would pay what was needed so let us get on with it.

After that he didn't answer for a while again, and said : if you won't pay let us stop. While I had said I was willing to pay. And after that no answer. I asked again, he just ignored me.

So let me just say this, I love my LPG but will not recommend it to anyone because the brand has become scornful of its clients. Now that they are selling well in China and Japan and elsewhere, the think they can treat the little guys like crap...well guys let me tell you what goes around comes around.

This doesn't make the LPG any less good but I would recommend you deal only with the distributors you trust, not with them directly.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,847 of 4,765
Well I think somebody should copy or link Mim's post and forward to Lotoo to their customer service dept. or their management. That is not right to treat their loyal customer.

What is that cable you have on the Prophile 8?  The braiding is the same as my Therium 8 cores, beautiful.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #2,848 of 4,765
Well I think somebody should copy or link Mim's post and forward to Lotoo to their customer service dept. or their management. That is not right to treat their loyal customer.

What is that cable you have on the Prophile 8?  The braiding is the same as my Therium 8 cores, beautiful.
Don't worry, I posted the message around, I won't let him get away with it.

This cable is awesome, it is an 8-braid beataudio Prima Donna. I have another one on order with a 4.4 balanced jack for my WM1Z.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,849 of 4,765

Nice review , i hope you enjoy it to the max

How its compare to full desktop amp in resolution and sound stage ?

I'll share some thoughts about that in a couple of weeks after I become familiar enough with the new sound.  At this point I am rather impress, even comparing to the desktop gears.  I am enjoying this little guy more and more mostly because I have more power than the rest of you, 
biggrin.gif
atsmile.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2,850 of 4,765

If you watch this unboxing/review video from about 11:30 he goes through the interface - not sure if you can spot any differences.  

I think I read somewhere that the Diana volume goes up to 135 instead of 100?  Or something...

I mean, if the Diana is optimised for JPS planar phones, can the firmware tell the amp to run in a more current driven mode than voltage to better suit those 'phones?  Dunno.  

Joe would be the man to answer that question, but AFAIK, this player was made to go hand in hand with the new JPS Diana phones that are coming out.  Just worked out that the player was ready before the headphones.  He has also been demoing the Abyss plugged straight into this player (which is what I intend to do) so that's why I bought it.  Have to go and buy a memory card/adapter so I can try it out.

What video?

Does the volume on the standard version goes up to 100? I am a little hesitate to turn the volume up to the max fearing it might blow my iem out.

The JPS Diana phones suppose to be easy to drive than the abyss, if the LPG/Diana can drive the Abyss, it will have no problem with the Diana phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back