INTRO to Electrostats -- Placed my first STAX order!!!!! *PICS*
Jul 20, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #61 of 70
ok.. just got my superfatcat baby stax and... when i first turned it on i was a bit dissappointed as it was uncomparable to my SM3 + pico slim... then i read email from owner stating that components had to warm up for 15min to sound great... as i listened the sound definitely had an improvement to it and i have to say that to this date only my IE8s and my SM3 managed to put a smile on my face and after only 30min on the babystax i cant take my smile (more like grin from ear to ear... they are that good) off when i'm listening to my music. i have not compared to the unmodded version (supposedly rolled off highs) but the treble energy is amazing ( i thought SM3 treble was perfect but now i'm thinking babystax) and there is amazing balance in frequency (abit more so than foward sounding SM3 in comparison) i'm glad i made the decision to buy my new favourite phones (SM3s a very close second). they really do set the bar high and i cant imagine sound better than this...might need to invest in some stax phones higher up in the chain.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #63 of 70

Quote:
ok.. just got my superfatcat baby stax and... when i first turned it on i was a bit dissappointed as it was uncomparable to my SM3 + pico slim... then i read email from owner stating that components had to warm up for 15min to sound great... as i listened the sound definitely had an improvement to it and i have to say that to this date only my IE8s and my SM3 managed to put a smile on my face and after only 30min on the babystax i cant take my smile (more like grin from ear to ear... they are that good) off when i'm listening to my music. i have not compared to the unmodded version (supposedly rolled off highs) but the treble energy is amazing ( i thought SM3 treble was perfect but now i'm thinking babystax) and there is amazing balance in frequency (abit more so than foward sounding SM3 in comparison) i'm glad i made the decision to buy my new favourite phones (SM3s a very close second). they really do set the bar high and i cant imagine sound better than this...might need to invest in some stax phones higher up in the chain.

I love my SuperFatCat ++ baby Stax.  Mine is using the AD8599 opamps, and some auricaps and blackgates.  I use a 6 cell lithium battery pack, since the battery bay is full of caps, but mostly it stays in my bedside rig with an HM-801 as source feeding it via line-out.  

The bass and treble has better extension and presence than stock, and it is not so mids-centric like it was stock.  Plus the soundstage has expanded well past that of the stock SR-001 Mk2.  I compared it once to the SR-003 on an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro full size amp, and they were quite comparable.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #64 of 70

Quote:
Glad to hear we have another stax fan!

Do you use them with or without the headband?

using them with the headband but it does get uncomfortable after a long perid of time (listened to them for 7 hrs straight last night... time just dissapeared)

Quote:
I love my SuperFatCat ++ baby Stax.  Mine is using the AD8599 opamps, and some auricaps and blackgates.  I use a 6 cell lithium battery pack, since the battery bay is full of caps, but mostly it stays in my bedside rig with an HM-801 as source feeding it via line-out.  

The bass and treble has better extension and presence than stock, and it is not so mids-centric like it was stock.  Plus the soundstage has expanded well past that of the stock SR-001 Mk2.  I compared it once to the SR-003 on an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro full size amp, and they were quite comparable.

got it off another headfi member so ido not know how far the superfatcatmod was taken bud it sounds fairly extended and i cannot notice a mid hump although i have not directly compared to original.. its got the upgraded case by EFN and has Li-ion battery for 7hrs of play. do u by any chance know the ideal voltage to supply the amp as i want a little longer battery life and want to design an a Li battery pack like u... how is your 6 cell battery wired (combination of series+parallel)?

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:
using them with the headband but it does get uncomfortable after a long perid of time (listened to them for 7 hrs straight last night... time just dissapeared)

got it off another headfi member so ido not know how far the superfatcatmod was taken bud it sounds fairly extended and i cannot notice a mid hump although i have not directly compared to original.. its got the upgraded case by EFN and has Li-ion battery for 7hrs of play. do u by any chance know the ideal voltage to supply the amp as i want a little longer battery life and want to design an a Li battery pack like u... how is your 6 cell battery wired (combination of series+parallel)?

7 hours... I think you need some full-sized stax :D

Just curious about the headband stuff as I can get a much better fit and seal without the headband.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #66 of 70

Quote:
... do u by any chance know the ideal voltage to supply the amp as i want a little longer battery life and want to design an a Li battery pack like u... how is your 6 cell battery wired (combination of series+parallel)?

I seem to recall there is no benefit from going higher than 4.5v because an internal voltage regulator limits what the amp sees.  I think my battery pack uses six 3.6v lithium 14500 type cells in parallel with each other.  Stock the amp takes two AA 1.5v in series with each other, for 3v total.  I don't know exactly how audicats wired it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #67 of 70
While I'm waiting on my 404LE's to arrive in the mail, a pair of SR-5 NB Gold Edition just came in.  Through the SRM-T1 they are simply unbelievable and blow away
their junior (and excellent sounding) cousins the normal white SR-5's. Much more bass and tight and punchy with a much improved soundstage and treble sparkle.
These are keepers in my Stax inventory and ain't leavin' this very satisfied owner and Stax affectionado.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #68 of 70

Quote:
While I'm waiting on my 404LE's to arrive in the mail, a pair of SR-5 NB Gold Edition just came in.  Through the SRM-T1 they are simply unbelievable and blow away
their junior (and excellent sounding) cousins the normal white SR-5's. Much more bass and tight and punchy with a much improved soundstage and treble sparkle.
These are keepers in my Stax inventory and ain't leavin' this very satisfied owner and Stax affectionado.

Absolutely, to my ears the SR-5 gold edition are much superior to the regular SR-5, and sound as you describe.  At one point I owned 2 pair, and still have a pair that I pull out occasionally.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #69 of 70

Quote:

Thanks for coming back and giving your description of your new toy.  Glad your liking it!  I'm loving my stax 4040 II system...such a wonderfully balanced sound with some of the nicest timbre I've heard.  I really get involved in these headphones but I must admit...my listening area is not air conditioned and we're having a bit of a heat wave and I just sweat too much to thoroughly enjoy any headphones for too long of a listening session so I've been listening to my portable rig in my ac bedroom.

Enjoy your new stax!

May 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #70 of 70
I too have just purchased the same combo, however mine has the kimik mods. I love it i am actually listening to my s:flo2 through it and it sounds pretty darn good. I am on the lookout for a decent cdp. I had the chance to listen to a naim cd5 through there headline amp and some hd650's. I was mighty impressed with the sound of the cd5 and hope it might sound as good through the stax system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back