Intro & amp/DAC question.
Sep 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MaoTai

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody! This is my first post after lurking around the forum for a while.

Firstly, want to say what a great resource this forum has been so far, seems like there is a really nice and helpful atmosphere.

Bit of background first; I bought some Goldring DR-150's about a year ago and have been using them un-amped etc since. I use Foobar 2000 while at home using either lossless or 320k music. I listen to a variety of music, mainly: Rock, Metal, Acoustic, female vocals. Main source at home is my laptop and a HTC Desire while out and about.

I've been thinking about my first real upgrade for a while and am leaning towards Little Dot Mk-3 to start with with the intention of getting some Sennheiser HD-600's fairly soon afterwards.

I was thinking about getting something like a Fiio E7 or iBasso D-Zero with the Little Dot for the following uses:
1) While at home to use as a DAC out of my laptop into the Little Dot.
2) While at work as a amp/DAC from my work computer.

Would this setup work? 

Hope I've posted this in the correct area, seemed like the most relevant. 

Many thanks, Matt

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 5
You can amp those headphones for a lot cheaper (and objectively better) if you drop the tubes. Are you set on a tube amp?

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 5
The Goldrings do not need amplification, the Sennheisers do. As for rolling, software based options are rather easier and introduce colourations to the sound that you can actually turn off.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Ok, thanks. The idea was to get an amp before the HD-600's so I don't have to run them un-amped, it can't hurt to try the Goldring's first :) 

Any opinions on the portable amp/DAC? Will the two I mentioned be a significant upgrade from my laptop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back