Interview With Sony: NW-ZX2... Your Questions Answered
Mar 4, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #61 of 80
Mar 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #62 of 80

So using a TRRS works to give a wider soundstage? interesting. I am using one right now. All of my phones are balanced and I have every connector I would need and have a nice TRRS using Whiplash cable. Will evaluate. :^)

Jamato8,

- have you finally been able to compare TRS and TRRS balanced cable with the same (full size) headphone ?  Does the TRRS balanced connection bring any better Sound quality ?  (I understood that the ZX2 TRRS is not a real balanced plug, just something to do with grounding ??)

- You state also that Amplifying works well with the ZX2.  I believe that there is NO real "line-out", so how do you connect the external amp ?  To the headphone-out ot through the special Sony plug ?  then do you set the volume to 100% ? 

thanks

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #63 of 80

Jamato8,

- have you finally been able to compare TRS and TRRS balanced cable with the same (full size) headphone ?  Does the TRRS balanced connection bring any better Sound quality ?  (I understood that the ZX2 TRRS is not a real balanced plug, just something to do with grounding ??)

- You state also that Amplifying works well with the ZX2.  I believe that there is NO real "line-out", so how do you connect the external amp ?  To the headphone-out ot through the special Sony plug ?  then do you set the volume to 100% ? 

thanks

There is a little better separation and inner (small) dynamics, or micro dynamics when using the TRRS. Better transparency. There are separate grounds for the R & L signal so no, it is not balanced but the ground would have less impedance and the circuit would be better protected from the artifacts of the other channel. 

There is a line out. It is with the use of the output from the multiple pin adapter at the bottom of the player, the same output socket as used for the charger. This allows the use as the player with a line out. I got some of the plugs from Japan and made up my own line out IC's. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #64 of 80
Steven, 

in the interview you write: "On February 27, 2015, a special conference was held with Mr. Katsumasa Yoshioka, the gentleman who designed the Sony NW-ZX1, NW-ZX2 and their future products (NW-ZX prototype pictured above)."

so... what infos do you have about "their future products " ?  Is it a ZX3 ??

thanks

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #65 of 80

There is a little better separation and inner (small) dynamics, or micro dynamics. Better transparency. There are separate grounds for the R & L signal so no, it is not balanced but the ground would have less impedance and the circuit would be better protected from the artifacts of the other channel. 

There is a line out. It is with the use of the output from the multiple pin adapter at the bottom of the player, the same output as the charger. This allows the use as the player with a line out. 

this is really good news :) -->  what cable is needed to use this feature ?  is then the volume level fixed ?

(I understand that the same multiple pin adapter, with another cable also can output digital out ?  correct ? )

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #66 of 80

this is really good news :) -->  what cable is needed to use this feature ?  is then the volume level fixed ?

(I understand that the same multiple pin adapter, with another cable also can output digital out ?  correct ? )

Yes, it is used for both depending upon the plug used. 

You can get the line out dock LOD, on Amazon. It is made by FiiO as the FiiO L5 Line out dock for Sony Walkman. I have one of those also but like to make up my own with very high quality cable. I imagine the FiiO will work out great. I haven't purchased the digital out because I want to use the digital section of the Sony not of something else. I am not going to pay 1200 for a source when I have many other daps that can do the same thing.  I guess I could get one though just to compare the sound as some feel that there is lower jitter on some sources vs others and this does affect the sound. 

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #67 of 80

Yes, it is used for both depending upon the plug used. 

You can get the line out dock LOD, on Amazon. It is made by FiiO as the FiiO L5 Line out dock for Sony Walkman. I have one of those also but like to make up my own with very high quality cable. I imagine the FiiO will work out great. I haven't purchased the digital out because I want to use the digital section of the Sony not of something else. I am not going to pay 1200 for a source when I have many other daps that can do the same thing.  I guess I could get one though just to compare the sound as some feel that there is lower jitter on some sources vs others and this does affect the sound. 

thanks a lot

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #68 of 80
Hi Everyone,

Started a new thread so this doesn't get 'lost' in the 127+ pages of the other one. Am going to be chatting with someone who can probably answer virtually ALL our questions about the Sony NW-ZX2. So...

Please post your questions about the Sony NW-ZX2 in the thread below and will do my best to get them answered considering the time constraint in access to this resource.

As always, in the end what really matters is that you....

Enjoy the Music

Added: Full interview now available at
www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm
what are the main differences to justify the double in price with the ZX1 as some reviewers couldn't hear a noticable difference in sound quality? At this price Lollipop was/ is a must and at least 5 year warranty but that is not a Question:blush:

May 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #70 of 80

Hi Steven, I think I found a bug on ZX2.
I'm installing ftp server app from play store on my ZX2 to copy music files from my PC to ZX2 wirelessly. I can copy files to ZX2 internal memory using this method. But always fail when trying to copy to external sdcard with message write error.
I try to install different ftp server apps from play store and also change my micro sdcard, but still the same error.
Then I try to install MyPhoneExplorer app on my ZX2 with the same purpose, to copy music files from my PC to ZX2. Same error here, I can copy to ZX2 internal memory & error when copy files to external sdcard
Please pass this information to your contact at Sony so they can fix it

Thanks

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #72 of 80
what are the main differences to justify the double in price with the ZX1 as some reviewers couldn't hear a noticable difference in sound quality? At this price Lollipop was/ is a must and at least 5 year warranty but that is not a Question:blush:

Huge apologies for very late reply. I clearly hear a difference. Maybe it depends on the IEMs/headphones they used (or their hearing ability). One reviewer could not hear much difference between a mid-line AK and the Sony, and there is so much difference it made me wonder......

Hi Steven, I think I found a bug on ZX2.
I'm installing ftp server app from play store on my ZX2 to copy music files from my PC to ZX2 wirelessly. I can copy files to ZX2 internal memory using this method. But always fail when trying to copy to external sdcard with message write error.

You are right, it lacks the ability to handle external storage seamlessly. Sony seems very slow in software improvements :frowning2:

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #73 of 80
Hi Steven, In you review you have mentioned that you have optimized the OS of NW-ZX2. Can you share on what are they?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #74 of 80
Just start 'turning off' (disable) stuff you don't use such as the typical Android junkware (Settings, then Apps, then.... Force Stop, then Disable). Also leave her in Airplane mode to turn off all radios. Lastly, in Settings and Apps go to ALL window plane and turn off anything not needed (Bluetooth Share, Calculator, Contacts, NFC services, Phone, Phone Messaging, Street View, In -store Demo,etc.). Alas, we can't get into the bootloader to then really remove the cr@pware :frowning2:

Am not 100000000% sure it helps, yet turning off stuff not needed can't hurt. If there is something you're not sure to turn off or not, then i suggest leaving it alone. Hope this helps. Sure wish we could jailbreak it, yet no one I know has and not enough interest on XDA Developers to do a bounty on it.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #75 of 80
Just start 'turning off' (disable) stuff you don't use such as the typical Android junkware (Settings, then Apps, then.... Force Stop, then Disable). Also leave her in Airplane mode to turn off all radios. Lastly, in Settings and Apps go to ALL window plane and turn off anything not needed (Bluetooth Share, Calculator, Contacts, NFC services, Phone, Phone Messaging, Street View, In -store Demo,etc.). Alas, we can't get into the bootloader to then really remove the cr@pware :frowning2:

Am not 100000000% sure it helps, yet turning off stuff not needed can't hurt. If there is something you're not sure to turn off or not, then i suggest leaving it alone. Hope this helps. Sure wish we could jailbreak it, yet no one I know has and not enough interest on XDA Developers to do a bounty on it.

Thank you 4sharing. :)

Disabling those unused app will definitely help... At least on battery run time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back