Interested in trying out some GS-1000's? How about RS-1's, RS-2's or SR60's?
Aug 28, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Go to the other thread!

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Is the loaner program coming to Europe? Gardo's are very expensive in the EU, love to listen to them.

BT

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 11
The RS1 & 2 are great additions to the loaner program. I like the premise of loaning them at the same time so that they can be A/B compared.

This loaner program is not only a great idea, but seems to be well thought out as well.

thank you!

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Being the first participant, getting a chance to spend some personal time with the GS-1000s I can vouch for the fantabulousness of Jason's loaner program. I had heard Grado's flagship before but only at meets which is by far not the ideal listening environment. This program gave me a chance to try them out on my own equipment in my own quiet listening environment. How cool is that?!!!
icon10.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jivetrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this could make all the RS1 vs RS2 threads obsolete... or create thousands more of them. what are your rules for the RS1 and 2?

I am going to keep the rules the same for all the woodies. So what you read under the GS-1000 section will apply to the RS-1's and RS-2's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the loaner program coming to Europe? Gardo's are very expensive in the EU, love to listen to them.

Eventually, but I'm going to take my time with it. Right now I've had EXCELLENT experiences dealing with the folks who signed up for the GS-1000's. It has gone almost flawlessly, but the SR60's ironically enough hasn't been smooth at all. I might need to amend the rules for folks who are still living with their parents anymore, or rather some base minimum age requirement. I took a chance letting a younger person who just met the requirements have a shot at the SR-60's and blah, so not fun. I have the opportunity to act if things go wrong in the US and Canada but the UK and well, Europe in general is harder for me. I'm a lawyer in Canada and I've passed the bar in a few states. The firm I contract with has associates in just about every state so if I needed to get strict and worst comes to worst...nasty, I would and it wouldn't be hard. Doing so for Europe...not so much.

Before I risk an overseas run, I want to have a real baseline with the phones going all over the place on this side of the ocean. Since July, things have been great with the GS-1000's; September will see two more phones shipped out. If all goes well, by January, I'll expand to include Europe.

The key is commitment though on everybody's part. I don't ask much. I ask that folks take some pics of the package, unopened, upon arrival, then of the unit on first open, and I want that batch of photos sent to me. Then, after two weeks of listening, I request a second batch of photos, the packaging and shipping information sent to me as well as the next person on the list and that is that. The cost to the person listening is 1 way shipping via USPS Express Airmail with tracking and signature or better. I don't think that is much to demand for a two week trial of pricey phones. IF someone doesn't like the rules, don't sign up! It's that simple. This is a good will gesture on my part and on the part of the original donator. As new phones enter the programme, my money will be tied up, and perhaps manufacturers will have supplied some and perhaps more donations from generous Head-fiers. No one is making money off of this. This programme is 100% for the members who can't or won't hear various headphones in their homes without something like this coming along. I myself have experienced such generosity in the past and it helped me a lot when deciding on what to buy. I want to pay that forward as it were.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Within a year, I would love to have either a few sets and/or a single set of many phones traveling the earth. This programme is intended specifically for folks such as you, all the way "down under" without a means of hearing certain phones without someone shipping them to you on loan or someone blindly buying. How hard is it to audition in a shoppe? Do many carry them? I'd wager a big no on that front. For this exact reason I want people to be able to hear headphones the way they were meant to be heard, in the quiet environment of one's home where a person can really decide whether a certain sound is for them. Meets are great no denying it, but they are horrific for serious listening tests.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hard is it to audition in a shoppe? Do many carry them? I'd wager a big no on that front.

When I first joined Head-Fi I decided I wanted to try Grado, and set out to find a set of SR60's. There was only one store in Sydney that I found had them in stock, and I ended up paying about $200 for them, not knowing at the time how seriously marked up that is over the US price.

The highest-end Grado I could possibly demo in a store here would be an SR80. I've been lucky to have been to a few meets with sydney Head-Fi'ers who have bought RS-2, RS-1 and PS-1's blind, giving me a good appreciation of the Grado house sound, but so far no GS-1000's I know of have made their way down here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back