Integrated TV headphone amp
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

derbigpr

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know whether this is a proper topic for this forum category, but since it has something to do with headphone amps, and its definitely full size (
biggrin.gif
), I wanted to share something.

I made a big discovery by accident today. I have a 42'' Panasonic plasma TV, about 3 years old, it was a highest end model in that size that Panasonic were making back when I bought it. I don't even know which model exactly it is, because it doesn't say on it, and I threw the box away. Panasonic always had fuzzy and long code names for TV's....

Anyway, I never used my headphones with a TV integrated output before, as I always believed it was something that is there just for the sake of it. But today, I'm not exactly sure why, I decided to plug my Ultrasone HFi2400's in it when I was watching a movie trough Popcorn A-200 media player. OMG.  This might sound silly now, but that was the best sound I ever heard out of my headphones.  I don't know which DAC the A-200 has, and what kind of amp the TV has, but it sounded amazing with movies.  Then I went and took some ripped wma music files from PC, and tried with that.

It wipes the floor with Asus Xonar STX headphone output and even Little Dot Mk5.  The clarity of the sound, soundstage, imaging, crispness of the sound, its just amazing.  Bass is deep and tight, mids are smooth, highs clear, sound is so incredibly involving.  Overall , its a somewhat bright sounding amp,  it doesn't sound good with Q701's, but it rocks with HD650's and HFI2400's.  It's got plenty of power as well, never having to exceed 60% of volume.

It turns out I had an amazing sounding headphone setup for 3 years and I wasn't even aware of it. :p

Has anyone ever tried using their headphones with a good TV before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back