Input voltage for SRM-007t2
Sep 30, 2010 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sonorlite

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a set of electrostatic headphones and an amp. I will likely get a pair of 007 Mk2's and am thinking about the KGSS and SRM-007T2.

I plan on driving the amp directly from my Herron phono stage which puts out around 500mV max with my current cartridge.

I checked with Headamp and this voltage would seem to be sufficient for the KGSS. Anyone driving the Stax amp directly from a phono stage with around this voltage level?

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 2
The stax amps are all quiet enough to take a .5v signal. The real question is how many SPL's do you want out of it? After that its a simple question of whether it has enough gain. Odds are good that it does.

If you have heard/used this combo before the difference between a pseudo-standard 2v consumer source and a 0.5v source can be overcome by simply turning the volume knob up about an hour on the clock face. if you listen at ~9'oclock with a 2v source like most people you listen at 10 or 1030 with a 0.5v source... dont fear the spin. more spin is more better.

Something that may suck with a 0.5v signal is that noise (hum) pickup between the source and power amp may become an issue. With a little effort (shielded cables, careful cable routing, etc) it is easily overcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back