Initial thoughts on the Senn IE8 ummmm....BEEFY!
Dec 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're disappointed- that's only natural- however, I don't believe you're helping yourself by looking at this situation the way you are. When you buy a universal IEM theres evry chance it won't complement your ear anatomy as well as it would someone else. Even customs can be pain to get exactly right, as I'm sure you're aware, with a significant number of ppl needing to send back and forth to manufacturer's for adjustments and/or needing to pay for new impressions to be taken in the process. You should take this objective perspective and realise that, inevitably, you are taking some sort of gamble with any IEM you buy that it might fit well and/or just right with your ear shape, canal size etc. Although you're disappointed, take the above into acoount and either try more tips (possibly from other brands and/or mods) and/or methods of insertion- I have found that a degree of trial and error and feel is often required to find the best way of inserting a certain IEM; the SE530's frustrated me until I found that click albeit after an initial period of instrant success I the struggled to replicate (so I knew a 'perfect' fit and seal was possible in their case). Or, return or sell on the Senn's (they are a top model, never mind new, so should fetch a good price atm) and ply your trade with a new model. That's how I'd look at it anyway.
beerchug.gif

Oh i agree entirely it is a gamble,its pretty strange though that after all is said and done i keep returning to my old faithful's lol.
Yeah i think i will sell em on and hopefully they will be loved.
And thanks for your kind words bud.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the problem are sf5pro. My pro's isolate so good that even triple.fi 10 and now IE8 don't come close. We just got used to a too good isolation.
I just finished listening Bowie's Heathen on IE8 and I'm still blown away, these phones were built for the second half of this album
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to try different tips for a better isolation, but I doubt the result and I'll probably end up getting SE530 (and if there will be the isolation problem again, I'm staying with sf5pro - I have a new flexible black cable on the way from UE so my biggest problem with sf5pro will be sorted)

Its too bad we are so far apart. I have SE530, you have IE8 which I would like to try, I wouldnt even be opposed to a week or two long swap with the option to trade or re-exchange. Just a thought.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh i agree entirely it is a gamble,its pretty strange though that after all is said and done i keep returning to my old faithful's lol.
Yeah i think i will sell em on and hopefully they will be loved.
And thanks for your kind words bud.

Cool, no worries.
cool.gif
Best of luck with next venture!

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do still want very much to try the klipsch custom 3 and the triple fi 10 but i'm no longer in a hurry to do so as these ie8's have been a rather upsetting episode that i'd like to forget.

Also don't rule out the Image X10. It's been one of my favorite earphones of all time, and I'm almost sorry I sold them to help fund the IE8's and now the W3's. They really are little gems. They've been incredibly cheap on Amazon lately too, well under $200.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #20 of 27
To anyone saying the seal is constantly broken, have you tried using the hooks to keep them in place?

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #21 of 27
Based on this review the bass is encouraging but I like my isolation so I am probably not going to research these further.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 27
I find isolation with the W3 to be much better than with the IE8. I was in noisy coffee shop one evening last week, and had both on hand, and specifically tried both for isolation in this environment. The IE8 let in enough background noise that I couldn't enjoy the music, and had to turn it up pretty loud to hear any impact. The W3's on the other hand were much better. Only in the very quietest music passages could I even detect any background noise going on. I could comfortably listen at my normal listening volume, without any adjustments up. Music retained all its impact. For isolation, chalk it up for the W3.

I was listening with the large bi-flanges on the IE8, and the large single-flange gray silicon tips with the W3 (these tips are what give me the best seal on each earphone).

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 27
Do other IE8 owners find they can achieve good-solid isolation with this IEM? Are there cases of that? I suppose I'm just trying to ascertain as to whether this is a common flaw with this model?

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #25 of 27
I think it is common,part of it lies in the shape of the ear pieces,they look rather like a lollypop,and the stem is just too short to compensate.
I thought last night i had struck gold,for a last ditch attempt i tried some large ue silicone tips,and hey presto i got a super seal...but still nowhere near the amount of isolation they claim.
Unfortunately as soon as i started walking they just kept getting loose and for 5 minutes i was pushing about until my ear started hurting,i nearly threw the things there and then.
Poor design imo,who did they test the fit on?
Maybe they were rushed for christmas.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 27
If you have some spare foamies laying around , you might want to try try modding them to fit on the IE8 (I used some yellow Shure ) , then slip the large UE silicones over the top of these. I had the same problem as yourself in getting a really good seal with my IE8 ..... stumbled upon this combination and problem solved!

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do SE530 have a better noise isolation than IE8? See my post just above yours - would it be a big trade-in on sound quality to try SE530?

Yes, SE530 has the better noise isloation. Sound quality wise it may up to your taste which you like better. To me both sound similar in tonal representation, but since IE8 is a dynamic driver and SE530 an armature driver, they sound significantly different on the other hand. To me SE530 sounds more "clinically", maybe more accurate in some situations, but also more narrow. IE8 sounds more naturally, has better soundstage and better treble. Also comfort is MUCH better with IE8. Not to speak about the cable...If I had to choose between them I would clearly take IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back