Initial impressions of the SinglePower MPX3 tube amp
Jul 14, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

The hum that was in my first unit was only noticeable when music wasn't playing and the volume was turned all the way up. More an annoyance than anything else. It did not impact performance at all.

thanks for the info. i have hum all the time -- regardless of the volume control. it does, however, get really bad with the volume all the way up. i plugged in my 60 ohm koss 50s and the hum was more pronounced.

but i CAN hear the hum on classical CDs. i've e-mailed Mikhail about the problem.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
thanks for the info. i have hum all the time -- regardless of the volume control. it does, however, get really bad with the volume all the way up. i plugged in my 60 ohm koss 50s and the hum was more pronounced.

but i CAN hear the hum on classical CDs. i've e-mailed Mikhail about the problem.

Are you sure you don't have a ground loop problem?
Is your system in anyway connected to cable tv or satelite .
I have the MXp3 that gopher had to audition which was the
unit that was at the detroit meet. Gopher complained the unit had a hum problem. In my system the same Mxp3 is dead quite,no hum
even when using the R10s which if there is a hum problem it will pick it up.

Jul 14, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
Gopher complained the unit had a hum problem. In my system the same Mxp3 is dead quite,no hum
even when using the R10s which if there is a hum problem it will pick it up.

This is one of the points I was trying to make. Amps, both solid-state and tube, can have hum. The Headroom Max has a switch that "floats" the ground specifically to deal with setups in which hum is not curable in any other way. Most of the hum problems I've experienced over the years can be traced to power issues having nothing to do with the product in question.

That said, the fact that Arnett's unit has the problem in one channel more than the other points more towards an internal issue that Mikhail should take a look at.

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #49 of 52
And I thought an amp hummed 'cause it didn't know the words.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 14, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #50 of 52
Mikhail called me today and we talked for about a hour or so. he's is a really cool guy. among a wide variety of topics, we talked about my amp and he mentioned that hum is not indicative of a bad part or a future failure. at least not in a tube amp. he said the problem is probably a wire that too close to something else -- an easy fix.

i might send it back and get the amp modified with RCA pre-amp out jacks so i can hook this thing up to an power amp. i think the MPX3 would make a killer home stereo pre-amp.

he also said that he's trying to get a new chassis for the MPX3. this would reduce his manufacturing time but increase the cost of the amp.

Aug 26, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #51 of 52
i just got my singlepower MPX3 back from being repaired/modified. Mikhail fixed the hum and added pre-amp out RCAs.
i'm finally using ken rad VT-231s in all three slots. can you say bass? my DT-880s are sounding a little like the DT-770s in the bass department.
man, this amp kicks ass! the ken rads are not as detailed but they have the tone i love. the amp is now sounding unbelievably smooth. looks like i’ll be up all night again listening. good thing i’m on term break!
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #52 of 52
I had a horrible hum from my Bryston 3b amp (for home stereo), which was remedied by a 3 into 2 prong adapter, leaving the ground wire unattached. There is a switch on the back which is supposed to alleviate the problem, but it didn't work. Harvey's Electronics said the problem was common, and suggested the fix.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back