Initial impressions of Grado GS1000.
Sep 28, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Posting this because I was loaned a set of GS1000's. Although I have not yet heard it with a "synergized" amp, I can give an impression thus far. This thread will also be where I post my final thoughts...

-------------------------------

I've heard these cans are VERY picky about what they are connected to. Well, I haven't really found that to be the case. The only thing I have found however, is they are VERY hungry. They sound fine out of any source/amp, and you get the general sound of the cans, unlike some other hungry phones ala K701, but they seem to take whatever you throw at them but just sound more or less robust. The same sound is there, but just less power behind it. Hard to convey in words, especially when we're talking about amping, but once you get a listen you'll get it. It's not quite like amping an SR80, or other can than IS efficient.

The sources I had was an iMod and my laptop. Amps were a Voyager, iQube, Diablo, Magnum, and PPAv2 w/steps. I also used my home receiver HP jack. I'm waiting on an Eddie Current Zana Deux loaner to come in as I hear that is THE AMP for the GS1Ks. It should be here in a week, and although I'm optimistic, I'm at the same time pretty skeptical about it. All of the amps lended their signature to the cans, but meh, didn't really "amp" it like I was expecting. The home receiver did the most, well, second to the PPAv2 with steps. But still, nothing "amazing".

The most surprising thing about the GS1K, was how surprisingly well it was driven from the headphone out of my iPod Mini.

No, it didn't sound as good as say SR80's in respect to it being driven "properly", but it sounded surprisingly good considering. And yeah, the can does shine at low volumes. High(er) volumes became VERY fatiguing, and well, it just seemed to be "struggling" at the higher volumes. No distortion, but it just sounds better with the volume low. Odd. The sound REALLY leaks, more so than other Grado's from memory. Even at low volumes, people across the room could easily hear what I was listening to.

In regards to it's sound. Mmmm, some people say it's a totally different beast than the rest of the Grado line. I would say this is a large exaggeration and misleading. You can definitely tell it's a Grado by the piercing high end and sound signature. It has the bass of the RS series, but with a little more behind it in both body and quantity. Same texture and feel, just a little more visceral. The mids, to me, seem overshadowed by the piercing highs, and although not recessed, definitely sound overshadowed. Otherwise, it's a pretty dialed can!

The difference between the rest of the Grado line though, and the GS1Ks, atleast thus far, is the HUGE soundstage these things have. Maybe it's due to the circum-aural design and the huge ear pads, but it definitely sounds as large as they look, lol. Also, they're UBER comfy. You can probably wear them all day, and forget they're on, until you look in the mirror.

LASTLY, given their price (and size)....THUS FAR (not hearing them through the Zana Deux)I still stand by my statement of the SR80 being the best can in the Grado line given it's price AND performance that I've heard (which is now, every Grado can sans the crazy vintage stuff and collectible ones). Yes, I'm a Grado fanboy....but that doesn't mean I need to be blind to being conscious about price and performance to dollar...basically, just being a SMART CONSUMER.

Until I hear them through the "preferred" amp, I can't comment on a definitive answer on whether I would drop coin on them. BUT, if I had to go based on what I have heard thus far.....I would say no. Partially because I think I might have went into this in an attitude and negative context of "giving dynamic headphones their last chance". Granted, I by no means am any authority on stats, but just by the limited exposure I've had with them, I can say THUS FAR dynamics have nothing to offer me. However, the GS1Ks are giving me a good run at re-evaluating that decision and maybe next week when the Zana Deux arrives, my opinion will change.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Price aside? i.e. if somebody were to buy them for me, sure, I would take them over the other Grado's, or any other dynamic can I've heard. I'd be stupid not to.

I don't like the PIERCING highs. They were just tolerable on the SR80s, fatiguing on some songs, but JUST RIGHT on most everything else. The GS1K was just too much all the time IMO. Also, I'm not a low listening volume kinda guy. I don't BLARE my music, I listen at a safe level, but moderate volume that you can nod your head to and tap your foot. You just don't get that when you have to listen quietly, or with the GS1K. To me, atleast thus far, teh GS1K seems to be a reference, relaxing, listening to vinyl sipping a cup of joe in your recliner kind of can. Which is in no shape or form a bad thing.

It has AMAZING comfort, and the Grado sound I love(d), but it still just lacks something...

I've just got too accustomed to the electrostatic sound. I've only heard 404s (can't remember the driver used though) and my SRM-001 MK2s and there's just a certain something lacking in dynamic cans that I can't quite put my finger on. And this GS1K is no exception with the amps I have heard it with. Again, I'm waiting on the Zana Deux as it's supposedly THE amp to pair with these cans and tames the highs. We'll see.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Amm
I listend to them, and really loved them!
I am sure to get them soon!
(a week or so from now)
They sure not my taste when it come to look
BUT
I loved their sound!
A lot of details
And a good soundstage
And the BASS is great! every drum on metal sound great

What do you think?
and as I remmbered - they sure can take a high volume
I have tested them with NAIM head 2, and it seem to be ok

Users who are viewing this thread