Inexpensive Tube Amp With RS-1 Synergy?
Mar 8, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
I miss the warm glow of tubes in my house and am considering a tube amp to pair up with my RS-1s. I'd like to keep the budget at $500 or less. Yeah, yeah, I know that isn't gonna get me much but I'm looking for recommendations anyway. My HeadAmp AE-1/RS-1 sound fantastic together, however I can't help but think tubes would add something that I don't yet realize I'm missing.
rs1smile.gif
Any and all suggestions and experiences are welcomed.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 23
I would seriously recommend trying the RA-1. I know you said tube amp, but I have an MG head w/ NOS tubes and use OTL to listen to my RS-1 and get that wonderful tube sound, but when I change over to the RA-1 - I get that same tube sound, very smooth, warm, and a little lush.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks for the recommendation. Two things prevent me from considering it:

1) I want glowing tubes.
icon10.gif

2) I've seen the guts of the RA-1.

So, I've pretty much ruled it out.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 23
Maybe you could post a want ad for a forum member to build you a millet. Stacked buffers and a nice Steps P/S? I really like my millet with my RS1. Sounds great and IMHO its not terribly finicky with tube bias or anything like that, Its a very user-friendly tube circuit. DEAD silent too, aside from some slight tube microphonics. I dont have a steps though... just an elna wall wart.

it can be a real gian monster, so make sure your builder sets it for lower gain for Grado synnergy.

Garrett
rs1smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 23
I compared the Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 to my RA-1, and the X-Cans had it all over the RA-1 in the warmth and punch department. Although you aren't interested in solid state, I was also extremely impressed with the Headroom Micro amp with the desktop module - I ended up buying one for my Grados.

Both of those amps surprised me, as the RA-1 amp has been pretty good to me over the years, but these were clearly better.

-- Gordie

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 23
i'd suggest if possible auditioning MF's X-can v3 and LD3.
they're both good value for the money, and they both sound good with my RS-2.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie
I compared the Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 to my RA-1, and the X-Cans had it all over the RA-1 in the warmth and punch department. Although you aren't interested in solid state, I was also extremely impressed with the Headroom Micro amp with the desktop module - I ended up buying one for my Grados.

Both of those amps surprised me, as the RA-1 amp has been pretty good to me over the years, but these were clearly better.

-- Gordie

Ditto. If you want some warmth and a nice amp for the price, you really can't go wrong with the X-Canv3.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 23
Build the MAD EAR+ Purist HD yourself for $500.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 23
Yes, the Xcan/RS1 combo gives a nicely balanced sound to most types of music. The MG Head in OTL is also a good match. I have a MAD Ear on order, I am hoping that the reported sysnergy between it and the RS1 is as good as folk here say it is.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I miss the warm glow of tubes in my house and am considering a tube amp to pair up with my RS-1s. I'd like to keep the budget at $500 or less. Yeah, yeah, I know that isn't gonna get me much but I'm looking for recommendations anyway. My HeadAmp AE-1/RS-1 sound fantastic together, however I can't help but think tubes would add something that I don't yet realize I'm missing.
rs1smile.gif
Any and all suggestions and experiences are welcomed.

Check out the MF XCan's like others here have mentioned. Some people swear by them for good reason.

Mapletree Audio (MAD) makes some great stuff. You can buy their stuff in kit version and assemble yourself or buy a kit assembled. The Ear+ Purist may be a good option actually if you have a bit of experience with the business end of a soldering iron. I believe these can be had for $450 or so? Llyod is helpful as well.

Good luck!

Mar 9, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 23
apparently the g&w t2.6f is a decent chinese tube amp.. i have it for my rs-1 though i haven't listened to another amp seriously with the rs-1 besides a DIY dtpakiller amp..

but yeah i will probably send my g&w to fellow aussie head-fiers. there is a melos, MAD ear+, dynolo, m3 ect.. i think someone can write up a big review soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back