Inexpensive headphone amps to recommend
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lexxmexx

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking for a dedicated headphones amp to boost the sound of my PC's audio interface (i.e. no DAC)  and which does not have any internal rechargeable batteries (like the the Fiio E5), it means it is powered from an AC source or basic USB bus power. So did a search on Amazon and found the following inexpensive amps below $50. Does anyone have any experiences with them? Care to share your views about them and possibly make a recommendation? thanks!

1. ART HeadAmp4 Four Channel Headphone Amplifier
  2. Behringer HA400 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amp
  3. Rolls HA43-Pro 4 Output Stereo Headphone Amplifier
  4. Behringer MA400 Monitor Headphone Amplifier
  5. Pyle-Pro PHA40 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd look for a used receiver. You might even be able to find one for free. Some of them are quite good with headphones.

The other good low-cost option is building your own. Don't be intimidated, lots of people have built their own amps and every one who has built a first amp while not knowing everything. Give it some thought.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Receiver? Did you mean an AM/FM radio receiver?

I have seen a tutorial about DIY amps and I don't know if I can get all the required parts. Does a receiver contain everything I need or I need additional parts? I have never done soldering in my life BTW

Can you point me to an idiot proof guide where anyone can build one easily?

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, a receiver with the radio, amp, and everything else. Most of the older ones have a headphone jack and work fine for headphones.

If you've never done DIY, build a CMoy first. They're around $20 in parts and there are terrific tutorials for the build. Anyone who makes the effort can successfully build one. From there, you'll find dozens of projects you'll be able to build. Getting parts isn't a problem. There are a bunch of online retailers who sell everything you need.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Lexx-
Any of the amps you've listed will probably work, but I think they are mostly designed to drive multiple sets of 'phones ?

Something that does 'work' and is sorta fun is one of the many low-voltage 'tube headphone amps' - they actually use a solid-state output section- from China.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MK-2-Class-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6N11-X-/290516717918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a425515e

There are many different sellers of variations on this theme.

If you want to build a 'kit' (with good instructions) there aren't many cheap options. Battery powered cMoy with online forum help as UE has suggested. From there it's a big jump up in $$ (and some (not everybody) would say in quality) to something like a Bottlehead Crack Tube headphone amp ($200+ tools if you don't have any).
A lot of the 'kits' on eBay are just a bag of parts and a PCB, and you have to provide the transformer, AC power wiring, case, etc...... so not as cheap as they look.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Good option. 
There are lots on Ebay, or thrift stores. 

Thrifts, yes. Local Craigslist or Kijiji or...., yes. With shipping, a working receiver for $50 from eBay would be a challenge. (You've got to be a bit crazy to go to the trouble of listing a receiver on eBay and packing/shipping it unless you are going to get more than $20...IMO)

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Looking for the same answer. Was about to buy new phones but realized these are actually really good if I replace the horrible old circuit from a pair of computer speakers I'm using as an amp, and EQ them right.

The thing with receivers is that some can roll the bass off too early. I tried two different consumer integrated stereos and both had a huge drop starting at 100hz and down and practically zero signal regardless of volume level at 20 or so hertz. Not that this is the issue, there is twenty times too little signal at like 30. It was rather horrible for ambient stuff or classical. A proper receiver would probably not do this. It reminds me of a single-unit integrated phono player with built in radio and all. The inputs were labeled "Tape" on the source selector and a certain song "return of the bassheads" or something by Digital Assassins had a long repeating dropping tone. It made the woofers move an inch back and forth at literally 1 or 2 hz before they stopped and the next drop came :p If you can, just test the candidate receiver for a lack of low bass before buying.

Any other recommendation for the CMoy? I wanted to build a dynalo with not-so-expensive components but realized getting all the transistors is near impossible. There are practically no redesigns or current suggestions for modern replacements for all of them. CMoy looks great. I will be driving 24 ohm phones though. Is this an issue? How important is buffering?

I am wondering about using other opamps in the CMoy. I see oscillation is a common issue. Let's say I drop some other opamp into the CMoy. How can I tell, with a multimeter, whether it is stable, or acting up? There's more than enough technical explanation of why and what is happening, but for the new DIYer who wants to try different opamps, there has to be an easy way to confirm it is alright before listening blindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back