Inexpensive custom in-ear suggestions?
Oct 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ibkurtbrown

New Head-Fier

I have spent hours and hours reading postings and reviews and am just looking for suggestions on the best, economical custom in-ear monitor. I am thinking probably duals would be good? I currently have a pair of Shure E3s that I like.

I play in an acoustic duo (guitar and ukulele) and just want something that fits well. I don't have a picky hearing taste and don't need anything fancy. Just comfortable and good customer service.

I have been looking at 
Alien Ears - seems like poor service
Fidelity - I don't think I like the swivel chord
1964 - seem solid
InEarZ - a bit more expensive maybe?

Is one company better than other? A company I don't know about? I want to save money, but get something that will last.

Is detatchable chord worth the extra money?

Thanks for any help.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 23
Theres also JHAudio. If you only want the isolation or other benefit of a custom but is perfectly fine sound-wise with what you have, you can also look into remolding services or custom sleeves. What those services does is basically turn your universals into a custom. Unique Melody's been getting good feedback on their remolding services, so you might want to check them out too.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks. I will check those out.
I think my ears are a funny shape and universals are never very comfortable for me. I think I would rather customs or remolds rather than just a custom sleeve.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 23
JH5 with an amp is about as good as it gets.  I'd take it over JH13 any day and it handidly beats everything I have used in my profile except for JH16.  But it's 85% of what JH16 gives me and at 1/3 the cost...a complete no brainer economic decision.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 23
I've dealt with Ultimate Ears on a couple occasions, both for refits and warranty work, and they have always been responsive and helpful. They have a UE4, which is a dual driver IEM, around the same price as the JH5.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 23
np ibkurtbrown. One thing I'd like to note is that when I compare my Ultimate Ears UE4 with my Westone 4, as far as sound quality goes, the Westone 4's beat them as far as detail goes (at a slightly lower price.) 

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 23
I kinda like my Shure E3s but I also have a pair of Altec Lansing UHP 336s. They don't fit my ears very well and the detachable chords keep falling out (I almost lost one of the buds when it fell off my cable).

Would they be decent drivers to use for a custom remold?

Here are a few links to the earbuds that I am talking about:
http://techcores.com/2010/01/altec-lansing-uhp336-earbuds-unboxing/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/665/2/
http://www.techtree.com/India/Reviews/Altec_Lansing_UHP336_In-ear_Earphones/551-102796-536.html

If so, where should I get the remolds done? Lots of options.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
np ibkurtbrown. One thing I'd like to note is that when I compare my Ultimate Ears UE4 with my Westone 4, as far as sound quality goes, the Westone 4's beat them as far as detail goes (at a slightly lower price.) 

If the OP is on a budget, I would advise against customs and go for a better sounding universal.  On top of better SQ, he will be able to easily sell them at less of a loss, without eating the buyers cost to re-shell on an already depreciated "nothing-special" IEM.  Moreover, buying customs and having to re-shell is limited to top of the line models pragmatically speaking. I am a Westone fan, but this applies to other brands with a "musicians line" as well.  My dos centavos.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
[WHOOA ! !   4,000th post ! !]

What wireless ear system?  Did I miss something?

Fastball. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back