Increasing HP sensitivity about 5db, does it make a real diference ?
Dec 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zeiter

Head-Fier
I asked this question under another thread, and got no reply. Let me put it another way. Would 5db difference in  HP sensitivity make a noticeable difference ? Or do I have to go , let's say 10 db, or more  and that's to be used with a portable player. My 91db  headphones don't sound great with my player, and I don't want external portable amps, so switching to 96 db will it make a big difference, or do I need to go higher than 100 db ?  This way I'll know which range I'm supposed to be looking for.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 12
  Zeiter, you might have to reformulate your question: try explaining what you're after.

Ok, I have a DX100 DAP and my LCD-3 don't sound great on that ( far from my home setup with dedicated amp, etc...) they sound thin. They have a 91db sensitivity, and here's my question: if I went with headphones around 95 or 96 db, will that make a difference , like big improvement? I heard some AH-D7000 which have 106DB I guess, and they were so easy to drive with the DX100.  So does 5db increase in sensitivity make a noticeable difference in sound level ?  Or better go an extra 10db ?Thanks

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 12
5dB will make a difference that is noticeable, but you might want more.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 12
Sometimes numbers can't explain headphones particularities, synergy is one of those factors often discredited by objectivists. The lcd-3 are well known to be picky concerning amps. Planars "consume" a lot of current and a lot of amps are not designed with planars in mind. I suggest you to ask in the following threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/575751/new-audeze-lcd3

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Actually I'm not looking to see which amps work with the LCD-3. My son has a HIFI-M8 that I can borrow, and it works fine. But I don't want an extra amp, so I'm looking for other more sensitive headphones to use with the DX100, and keep the LCD-3 for home use . I think I'll go by kraken2109 advice and look for something in the 100db or more range., as 95 or 96 might not do it for me.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 12
The lcd-2 in theory are harder to drive and I found them to be quite the opposite. I can't talk about the LCD-3... But I do think the same and probably my next headphones will be 32ohms +110db sensitivity

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 12
My son has the LCD-2 with his Hifi-M8, and they're fine with that unit, but only  on the highest gain setting. I , like you,  prefer more sensitive HP than going highest gain. When I play the LCD-2 on my home amp BHA-1, I use same volume setting as for the LCD-3, the difference I think is only 1db in sensitivity, and I can't feel it. I never bothered to try the LCD-2 on the DX100, since the LCD-3 were not very convincing on that to start with.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Well, just tried the LCD-2 with the DX100 and same thing, at medium gain, volume maxed, it 's OK, but not great. Actually there's more quality lost with the LCD-2 than the LCD-3 ( compared to a home amp ).  Yes I can live with that, but both headphones don't sound alive like with a home amp ( which is to be expected I guess).  I'm not blaming the DX100 at all, low sensitivity HP require more power, and if I don't want an external amp, I'll have to get more sensitive HP. My son's HIFI-M8, coupled with his Ipod Touch, sounded much better with the LCD-2, and  the source was 16/44, and not Hi Rez in both cases. So my end observation, since I don't plan to add an amp, I'll be going with HP in the 100db range as I like the DX100 a lot, and that will give it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back