In Vertigo - Advice needed - What is the next step? - LCD-3 / SR007mkII
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
I have enjoyed many headphones during the past year, and do still, but you know the drill - upgrade to something even "better" (aka different). I have the LCD-2 rev 1, rev. 2, HE-500 and HE-6 and have fallen in love with the LCD-2 rev. 2 / HE-500.

If I would nitpick (which we all do), I would say the HE-500 has tendences to one-note-bass. The HE-6 and the LCD-2 do not. The LCD-2 made me fall completely in love with head-fi. The HE-6 was an experiment, that turned out not to be love at first sigth. Over time however, the HE-6 has become quite attractive. So, now I am experiencing some sort of vertigo.

What would be the next natural step? LCD-3 or the Stax SR-007mkII?

I have, for some months ago, had the SR-007,kII and the SRM-007tmkII at home. From what I remember, the seemlees presentation and slight "dark" coloration intrigued me the first days, but I felt that maybe all music sounded "academic" after some days.

What would you guys recommed: The SR-007mkII on SRM-323s / SRM-007tmkII or the LCD-3?

I have more than enough capable amps for the ortho option...

Help. 

confused_face_2.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 15
Why not try a dynamic headphone?  I don't know your path very well, but have you owned the HD800s?  They are my favorite dynamic headphone.  And if you are willing to go used, something completely different would be the K1000.  Sounds like you have the amplification to drive them.

I am a huge fan of the Omega II, so I definitely wouldn't discourage you from going in that direction.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 15
I've heard the HE-6, HE-500, HD800, K-1000, LCD-2 Rev 1 & 2. While I haven't heard the majority of the Stax Electrostats, I will say that if the LCD-3 is as much better than the LCD-2 as everyone is saying, then man, that could be it for me. As for your Q, I'll respond back when I try the LCD-3. From what I have heard, the Omega II is a pretty dark headphone.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 15
SR-007 = LCD-2 rev.2, BUT the Stax have better "coherence" and the ortho is more "fun". They are equally "dark".

Aaargghh.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 15
i almost bought lcd3 but decided to go for stax o2
lcd2 was pretty good but it only reminds me how good the stax were when i had them.
i think ill go easy on the amp, either kgss(if i can find one) or just woo ges

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 15
I have both the SR-007 Mk 2 and the LCD-2 Rev2 and don't think the 007 is a step up from the LCD-2 but just different.  In fact if I was going to keep only one of them (which I may soon be doing) it would be the LCD-2 as I find it more musically involving.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks. I tend to feel the same way. There was something apealing with the coherence via the SR-007 I liked, eventhough they were a bit more "boring" than the LCD-2s. I used the 007tmkII and not the 727II. During crazy times, I wonder if the SR-009 would be a better alternative? Maybe not. Have you heard the SR-009?

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 15
Not to stir the pot, and apologies I may not have the experience others here might.

I've not heard the o2mkII but for the mkI version, I found it far superior to the LCD-2 rev1 and rev 2.  This is not to say the LCD-2 are inferior; they are great phones, but you don't get the same level of detail and overall magic as with the o2mkI.  True you may lose a little bit of bass bloom on the o2 but IMO the fact that it is less exaggerated is a good thing especially for long term listening.

On the whole topic of "dark and academic" and o2 I'd say that I may have said the same until I stepped up the amplification.  My setup is not dark sounding to me but the first time I heard the o2 on a Stax amp I thought they did sound this way.

I wish I could hear a 009 setup!

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't find the SR-007mk2 and SRM-007tII to be dark.  The bass is better defined and the other instruments are crystal clear.  I listen to mostly jazz and classical music.  I master jazz albums professionally and also play the guitar at places like the Blue Note here in NYC. So I pretty much trust what my ears tell me.  Loving this set up.  It is my first Stax and electrostatic phones. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 15
I have had extensive (>200 hours) experience with the Stax 007 Mk2 and LCD-3s. IMO, the LCD-3s are defineitly the better headphones, they just sound more engaging. Furthermore, a great amp for the LCD-3s like the Liquidfire is still much cheaper than say a Woo WES or BHSE. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 15
SR-007 = LCD-2 rev.2, BUT the Stax have better "coherence" and the ortho is more "fun". They are equally "dark".

Aaargghh.

That's pretty accurate, except the LCD2 is even darker than the age old champions of dark, the 007s. Coherence and fun are spot on. I could use the 007s as a main headphone, the LCD2 I would begin to miss treble too much.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 15
Thanks. I tend to feel the same way. There was something appealing with the coherence via the SR-007 I liked, eventhough they were a bit more "boring" than the LCD-2s. I used the 007tmkII and not the 727II. During crazy times, I wonder if the SR-009 would be a better alternative? Maybe not. Have you heard the SR-009?

I don't think you would like the SR-009 if you are having any trouble with the SR-007s being too polite. The 007s, IMO, are the fun can of the upper end of Stax. You sound like a candidate for the LCD3, brighter than LCD2 and 007s, still engaging and coherent. The whole presentation of the LCD3 is similar to the HE500, but where the HE500 is weak and passive, the LCD3 is bold and vivid. The tonal balance is similar. If you like your HE500, but want something that sounds like it actually has a heartbeat, try the LCD3.

The HE-6 is very amp dependent, but can sound nice. It's a bit aggressive with it's treble. It's clean and clear, there's just a lot of it. I have protests with it's fit (and all Hifiman full size cans), but sonically it's quite good.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I don't think you would like the SR-009 if you are having any trouble with the SR-007s being too polite. The 007s, IMO, are the fun can of the upper end of Stax. You sound like a candidate for the LCD3, brighter than LCD2 and 007s, still engaging and coherent. The whole presentation of the LCD3 is similar to the HE500, but where the HE500 is weak and passive, the LCD3 is bold and vivid. The tonal balance is similar. If you like your HE500, but want something that sounds like it actually has a heartbeat, try the LCD3.
The HE-6 is very amp dependent, but can sound nice. It's a bit aggressive with it's treble. It's clean and clear, there's just a lot of it. I have protests with it's fit (and all Hifiman full size cans), but sonically it's quite good.

I think you just described the perfect headphone for me with the LCD-3 and the 007. I love warmth and darkness, but love sparkle and clarity, albeit warmth and smoothness a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back