In The Market for mid-range cans
Nov 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BoogieTrain

New Head-Fier
First of all, sorry if there are already a million posts just like this, but...

I am in the market for some new cans! My Grado SR60s got the grattle and i think i damaged them by blowing through them too hard. Anyway, I would like to purchase a new set of headphones.

I am looking for Circumaural headphones, with a closed design.

I listen mostly to hip-hop and rap, though my musicals tastes are always changing. I like to listen to Jazz too, and also have a lot of JPop. 

Also, I would prefer the cord to be on one side only, instead of a Y shape. I would like to spend ~$40 dollars(flexible). I know, this can't buy the best headphones out there, but I just need some high quality cans that are comfy, have good sound and good bass (I don't like to use EQ, though I have a Cowon D2, so It might be worth it to play with that).

I had a pair of HD-201 and I liked them a lot, though from my memory they were very "standard" sounding.
Currently im using Panasonic RP HTX7-W1s and I really like the fit, but they sound a little "tinny" and don't have much bass to me.
So far what i've found and like are:

Sennheiser HD 202

Audio-Technica ATH-M30(ATH20, 40)
Sennheiser 428

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 6
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 6
HD202's are midrange? Try teh HD201's by far my favorite headphones under $30, they were my first as well. I've been told they are more clear detailed then the HD202's ( Never tried the HD202's though).

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 6
I have a pair of 201s at home, though a friend of mine stepped on them a while back and broke the plastic headband. 
When I get home I will compare them to other cans I have around. 

@shiznit: that thread is VERY useful. After going through it, I'm leaning toward the M30s. 

I just listened to a few songs on my SR60s, then switched to my Panasonic's. Compared to the grados, the music sounds "empty" on the Panasonics.

Hopefully I have not been spoiled by my SR60s. 

My new pair will be mainly for travel/when my grados are not suitable (blasting music in quiet environments). I guess I can't expect the quality of Grados for less than I paid for my SR60s ($70 i think when I bought them from J&R). I will keep researching, please continue to make suggestions. 

(AHH I can have the M30s for <$40 by tuesday with amazon prime, so tempting!)

EDIT: I've been going back and forth between my SR60s and and the RP HTX7-W1s. I think the "tinny" or "empty" sound to the HTX7-W1s is due to the mid range reproduction, or lack thereof. Bass is actually decent on bass heavy tracks, but most songs played on the HTX7-W1s lack the "warmth" when played through my SR60s. My roommate has a pair of HD555s that I will be playing with as well.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Good choice. I really like mine, but don't use them very much more. The sound is quite neutral. I was actually surprised at how comfortable they are. If you like them enough I'd suggest getting the Pearstone Velour pads for them in the future. They're the same ones that the Sony MDR-V6 uses.

I actually prefer the M30 over the V6..

Quote:
I just ordered the M30s from amazon. 39.95 + 3.99 1 day shipping + tax = <50 dollars and Ill have them tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back