In the gym - what do you use?
Apr 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Carlsan

Headphoneus Supremus
For those of us that go to the gym, what do you use?
Do you use IEM's, portable headphones, earphones, clip-ons?
Does your headphone/IEM/Clip-ons stay put when you get sweaty?

I'm currently using a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4 with my Sony Walkman or Zune player, depending on what music I want to listen to.

The Super.fi 4's are okay but will fall out when I really build up a sweat.
frown.gif

I did try my ATH-ESW-9 but I found that they got to hot for comfort and made my head sweat more than it normally would.
mad.gif

I'm looking to see if there are other solutions that I may have missed and would want to try.

Thanks for sharing!

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 46
I use my KSC75, but I'm one of those rare people who actually find the design comfortable and secure. They don't fall out at all even while running and have none of the microphonics issue that the IEM's have. Used to use the marshmallows, but didn't really work for the gym use, and one time I tried PK2's they kept falling off while running. The only downside I can see with my KSC75's is their lack of isolation, but I work out in a small apartment gym so noise is not of too much concern.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 46
I am new to headphones, having used an old pair of stock Apple ear buds. I am also looking for gym phones. I don’t think you can pick one just by reviews. It is easy to drive yourself crazy. For every “exercise” pair of phones, some reviews love them and others hate them. There maybe no substitute for trying out a few different types yourself (which is what I am doing). You might want to check out the Sony EX85's. The have virtually no cord noise (at least mine does not). Also, the earphone has a portion that sticks out and rests on part of your ear. (I think that design is similar to the JVC FX66 - which I have not seen, but is reported to have a lot of cord noise.) That part really helps to keep the ear phone secure in your ear, without having do deal with a head or neck band, or an ear clip. Depending on how hard you exercise, they may not stay in. Sony makes a AS100 model. The only reviews on that I have seen do not look promising.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 46
Hey! I just use cx300. Works nearly perfect in a gym! If you run cable under shirt, microphonics aren't an issue. I just wish they had Y-cord.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 46
For a long time, I was running with Shure's. First, the E2c's, then the SE310's. The olives would stay very securely in my ears even after a few miles of running and sweat everywhere.

Then, I stopped using music altogether for my runs. I felt that the experience was better that way, plus much safer. But, I have had the sudden urge to get a new pair of phones for some added motivation to running. I think the main factor for running headphones is that they don't fall out, because that tends to be one of the most annoying things when it comes to running (also cramps, shortness of breath).

I'm looking at the PX80 by Sennheiser. The reviews say they always stay in place. I also have some interest for the Klipsch Custom 1. So perhaps you could check those out as well

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a long time, I was running with Shure's. First, the E2c's, then the SE310's. The olives would stay very securely in my ears even after a few miles of running and sweat everywhere.

Then, I stopped using music altogether for my runs. I felt that the experience was better that way, plus much safer. But, I have had the sudden urge to get a new pair of phones for some added motivation to running. I think the main factor for running headphones is that they don't fall out, because that tends to be one of the most annoying things when it comes to running (also cramps, shortness of breath).

I'm looking at the PX80 by Sennheiser. The reviews say they always stay in place. I also have some interest for the Klipsch Custom 1. So perhaps you could check those out as well

and the Klipsch Custom-3's? anyone?

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 46
Sony MDR-EX828 -- $15 @ WalMart/whatever. Very good sound for the $$, no worries about hurting them.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 46
My source will be Ipod Touch 8 GB and usually I use my Sony EX51 with a shirt clip the most. Occasionally, I use my Shure E2C, stock apple earbuds and Koss KSC75. I am looking to buy Cowon S9 with it's bluetooth capability so that I can use bluetooth IEMs because sometimes the cords can get tangled when I am lifting weights and yanked it out of my ears. Not a great experince
mad.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 46
SE530, UM2, Westone 3, Triple Fi Pro...really any IEM . Silicone tips tend to lose their seal when you start sweating but if you use a comply or foamie they should stay set in place. I never have problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back